Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unions

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Unions

There is a rumour going through work at the minute that people are trying to get a union into the company.

My question, is has anyone had experiences of them, good, bad, indifferent???????

I have never been in a company that is part of a union so I am a bit in the unknown on this one and would like some other opinions.

Thanks
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Unions

I was a member of USDAW because a woman came and talked me into it in one of my stupider moments. Tbh they dont do anything unless you actually have a problem and in my opinion i totally wasted the fiver a month that it cost to join.

Apparently they can give you legal help and stuff if you hurt yourself at work, and some unions wouldnt even do that. At the end of the day, if you get on well with your boss and your company isnt fucking you over then I would say its absolutely not worth it.

On a specific USDAW note, they asked one of my colleagues (bastard husband fucked off and left her with 4 kids etc. sob story) refused to pay for it because a fiver is pretty important to her, so she declined the offer of signing up, much like most of the other staff. The rep asked her to sign a form "just to say i've been here" and the next week the money had been taken out of her payslip. Now the store owners were far more ethical than the union in that case which makes it relatively pointless.

You've also got to consider what would happen if you encourage the idea of a union now and they try to do a strike for some stupid reason. eg. the oil refinery workers recently who all went on strike, at a cost of £50,000,000 a day to the economy, and caused a major refinery to go offline for around a month, because future staff werent going to get the same pension deal as they did. I'm exaggerating the stupidity of the reason slightly but I for one wouldn't want to be involved in a union if they were doing things like that.

So in short, I'd say not worth it.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes they are defo worth joining. im with GMB and it cost £10 a month. For this your legal fees are paid for things like accidents at work, if your disciplined they sort it out for you. and a host of other benefits.
    for example a few weeks ago i unloaded a wagon and did not count how many was delivered. it was late and it was home time. I decided to count it the day after has there would be only me there. The next day when they was sorted out there was 18 sort. I did not write unchecked on the delivery notes and the delivery company said they was all delivered.
    An investigation was made into what went on and i told the truth about what happened. Last week i was told i was liable and would be up to be disciplined. The union came in and made sure that they was following their procedure and not just going to give me a warning or worse. I admitted that it was my mistake and even though i was in the wrong i got off with it.
    The company had not officially trained me at my job. (been there 3 years) If it wasnt for the union i would have had a written warning.
    I get on well with the bosses and am a good working making them lots of money on my own. That's why they was giving me a written and not sacking me.

Even so you have to be careful who your representative will be a few years ago i was made redundant and they would not stand up for me and i took them to court myself and won. The union guy said it wasn't worth it. We was even told that he had said the management was only getting rid of the dead wood so it doesn't matter.

After everything that goes on its better to be with them than not. You get a say in wage rises and things that change have to go via the union so you wont get shit on.
    Company's need a percentage of union members before they recognise your union and if there is not that many they wont negotiate but the union will still help you.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks
    Karma Level

I personally don't like unions, I feel they overstate a lot of problems and hurt the economy. But, as an employee, if you feel like you are in an occupation that can be easily exploited then collective bargaining is what you need - unions essentially collaborate workers for a fee. The other perks e.g. unemployment insurance, industrial action, political motives aren't really what I'd pay for today.

Also, what kind of shop will your company implement? Unless it is open shop, you will be forced to pay something towards the union sooner or later.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm sure Roach is quaking in his boots. Bring back Thatcher and hanging I say...work shy cunts
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

My blunt assessment ? Ever since the eighties, unions have lost their edge.

I like Unions, I believe in them. But their power is so diminished and its only by a radical response that the government actually listens.

Whether or not you want to join a Union ? Mate, thats your choice, closed shops ended in 1979. From my own experience, they have the the power to protect you, whether they want to wield it and be deemed politically correct, its down to them and their choice of key workers and the fight they will fight for.

We are living in a PC world, Unions are not acceptable. A fight upon once was a right, is no longer a right. Unions pick & choose the fights they can win.

I once believed in Unions in the 1970's, today they are too PC for my liking and fight for the minority not the majority.

In my own experience, you can do better by yourself. If its a question of will I loose my job ? Your first thing would be to go to a Union Rep, they are obliged to give you advice not turn you away (that would be un pc and a closed shop).

Depending upon the advice you have been given and the help they offer, then join.

Mate, the beat advice advice I can give you is, approach the rep ask point blank and then make a decision.

I used to be Union.
    Last edited by Munkybutt; 11th June 2008 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unions are there to protect workers rights and ensure that workers are treated fairly in respect to pay and working conditions.

Of course, you'll get a different answer and opinion depending on who you talk to. As an employer I can see why some may not like Unions, however, every worker should have the right to join a Union and have that Union look after their rights should they choose to.

Thanks
    Karma Level

CZm yep thats right. Thats the whole point of a Trade Union. But, over the last 20 yrs their power has been eroded so much that even I think I can win a case as a Citizen more than if I had the the backicking of UNISON or TCU or any other of these guys.

The '80s crumbled Unions, 90's made them pc, noughties have made them pussies.

Bring back the like of Arthur Scargill

Thanks
    Karma Level

CZ, you said you are employer ? As an employer you knoe employees rights ? How many times have you impressed upon your employees "I want 110%". ? And how many times haves employees said "cant give anymore". How many times in the big corporate world will it take for employers to listen ? This world is not about protecting corporate finances, their $100 million dollar profit margins. CZ you are an employer and I used to be a manager of a well known insurance company that has left off 1800 people to protect profit margin. Thats all big companies want to protect, their profit margin.

Where do workers come into this question ? I was asked to get my people up to a certain location to close them down and bring their work down to my location. It had to be 100% of my team or my job would be questioned. I got 80% and then was criticisced for not doing the other 20% because I treated them as human beings.

Big companies have too much power now & too little representative from the common people.

I was told to resign or face being sacked. The pressure was too much. I set up a team that lasted for two years then offshored to India.

Bullied ? Yeah I feel bullied. I feel its not right that just cos I listened to people and didnt force them to do anything they wanted, I got pushed out. My model of a team lated for two years, the person that took over my team used the model that I set up. She got promoted to Departmental Manager, 150 people. And the work still got farmed out to India.

Unions are useless... no power.

Thanks
    Karma Level

However, for saying that, every person that joins a Union and is willing to act as a Union member is one more to the cause.

I hate what I had to do as a Manager and its the companies & their shareholders that are to blame (or at least its the Company view of what shareholders want, most shareholders are willing to take a drop in profits for employee happiness & economic stability........... so blame the board of the company)

I am with Unions all the way to the end.

Munky.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry for my rant......... just wanted to say why I am so much on the side of Unions but not, coming from a multinatinational employer view. Read in between the lines, we (sorry I resigned) offshore to India.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Excuse the rant. Unions did nothing except say "oh well, thats progress"... they just accepted it. Meanwhile I was on the othe other end of it.

Suffice to say I stick up for workers rights as know both sides.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuck me, are you feeling ok?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've never had any first hand experience of unions so my opinion may be invalid.

However, since my mum's been working at heathrow, I've paid a tiny bit of attention. From what my mum tell me, union is useless. A few people have reported problems, union people meet with boss people, they've met so many times now they are good mates and all they do is have a little chat, and fa ever happens to help the staff.

From reading the papers, I've read between the lines and noticed strike ballots were sometimes called for the most petty of reasons. Best example I remember was when ba (or was it baa) staff were about to call a strike because they were being asked to clock in. If you do a full days work, what have you got to hide?

So my feeling is that from my mum's observations, they would just be a waste of a fiver or whatever. From other observations, as much as unions may sometimes be a bit to ready to strike, who gives a shit. Employer obviously has their own concerns at heart. If a group wants to make your life better, why not let them, even if they may be in the wrong

Thanks
    Karma Level

I guess it depends on what you do as to whether it is worth your while.

If you are an MD of a company, then I would say do not bother, however if you were a coal miner, then it might be worth it.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unions are not worth a shit, Back in the 70's they had power and need to take power once again

Do you believe in 42 detention ? yep I do, for the right reasons......

Do you believe in that the government wants to restrict ur right to vote due to this ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

As I get older and listen to the fooking crap, younger generations give out, I say havent you experoenced the power strike of '73 ? Its within your hands James Callaghan was a munt and so was Harold Wilson but looking at today, was they really a munt or is UK so afraid to to join a Union ? I think Maggie Thatcher was a great leader, keynsian theory of economics and despite what your dads think she put UK back on the world map of political and economics. The 80's was the time of economic wealth against a backdrop of racism and unPC. Every single person today owes Maggie Thatcher.

I am Labour but applaud Maggie, withour her we could never pay off our national debt to USA in the year 2000. It took us almost 70 years to pay off the USA. We did it and we are once again a strong country not owing any any nation

Tony Blaie, great leader, great rhetoric. but did he get the job done ? No. Handed over to Gordon Brown...... totally inept as a leader but great economist.

There you go thats my thoughts......... dont trust trade Unions until they get back the power they once had. Your choice, your life.

We now need to get a grip upon Economics, despite our debt to USA, we encouraged a National Health System. We should be proud of we acheived a model that others emulate.

Its far from perfect. But I for one will say to the governerment, crap to higher taxes, what I would like is a system whereby it is itemised...............ie 2% police, 2% education. 2% medical.......... and 20% paying for ministers homes & jollies.

Uour choice, your life.
    Last edited by Munkybutt; 11th June 2008 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In year 2000. as economy stood, a meeting took place between leaders...Uk had only 1% to pay off, USA said will wipe off but back us......... that 1% means billions of taxpayers money. We back USA for what they did for us in WW2.

Your choice, yoir life.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm scared..........

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    I'm scared..........
    and you thought fidel castro made long speaches

nine hours and he still hasnt done yet