Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

animals Leaving work, at work.

Since I got a new job in January I find that I'm often bringing it home. It's not a thing that bothers me, but most people I know don't understand it, or care for my dedication.

It doesn't go unnoticed, so this is cool with me, it helps progression.

I just wondered how many of you did the same? I think I'm aiming more towards the fact that I enjoy my job so much, I also enjoy bringing it home - but I can see how this can swing into the negitive way too.

perhaps i'm just a sad jobsworth cunt
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Leaving work, at work.

leave it at work u cunt

i do

mum fucking dont tho, comes home and straight on phone to my nannan gassing about some slag at work whos idle as fuck
    I have stolen money from a DF member and a member of Disqworld. All my personal details including families details are on file and will be made public to everyone if I do not refund the money I stole or send the goods I promised. My name will be ravaged across the net and the consequences will be severe if I do not sort this fucking mess out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've done that in one way or another all my working life mate. It was a major factor in the ending of one long term relationship some years ago, although I 'listened' to the GF's moan about not spending enough sat with her in the evenings etc. and even agreed to do that when I got in from work; result?... her sat there watching every fu(king soap on the box for 3 hours non stop and if I said anything 'shhh!' was her answer...

In my last I.T job, I would have list of jobs for the next day... the problem, specs of hardware involved etc. and if I didn't have much idea of resolving it (we used to deal with rare bespoke type of storage systems a lot) would research with my service docs in the evening so I was as informed of possible resolutions when I got on site.

I just think it's personal achievement and commitment to an end result= a worthy employee
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

my mind never settles m8 about my work monday to friday and also though the night but at 6pm on friday i just blank it out and go into slow mode
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

The most i'll do as far as physically taking work home is i'll read a specification when i'm on the train to or from home

I'll still be thinking about things for work when i'm at home, but it's more along the lines of 'oh, that might work - i'll try it on monday'. It definitely doesn't get in the way of what i'm doing (which is normally sitting on my arse watching the telly !)
    I am a loud man with a very large hat. This means I am in charge

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I been working daft hours recently but that is what happens when you work your arse off to know more than any other cunt about something. I did 12' 45" Monday, 9 and a half hours yesterday and 10 and a half today as well as a load of hours at weekend as well. If it interests me I have no issues with doing this but when the work is dreary I do the bare minimum to fill my day.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by whatnow View Post
    Since I got a new job in January I find that I'm often bringing it home. It's not a thing that bothers me, but most people I know don't understand it, or care for my dedication.

It doesn't go unnoticed, so this is cool with me, it helps progression.

I just wondered how many of you did the same? I think I'm aiming more towards the fact that I enjoy my job so much, I also enjoy bringing it home - but I can see how this can swing into the negitive way too.

perhaps i'm just a sad jobsworth (unt

Mate, be sure of one thing its not gone unoticed by your boss. In an appraisal you might even get satisfactory. To get on these days employers not just want 100% but 120%. I guarantee you its not gone unnoticed. Appreciated by DF.

Giving all is no longer acceptable. Its normal to stay late. Dont do it often or it becomes the norm for YOU. Do it when needed and make noises you are prepared to do if & when required but not everyday.

TIP, gets you noticed more. Make sure your managers are aware you have a life outside out of work but prepared to sacrifice when needed. In an an interview, you can say this is what i did to help company out, but if staying late becomes norm, you cant do that (Its expected of you).See what I mean ? Thats called the extra 10 - 20% but if it becomes a norm then its just the 100 % & if you do normal times then Managers will think less of you for doing just normal hours.

I am with Little John, below....... doing something you love is not OT and I love being my own boss. At least that way we get self satisfaction even though it might be reading it. I am financial services and I dont call reading about my industry as on a clock. Its what I love & enjoy in my free time.
    Last edited by Munkybutt; 19th June 2008 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It could be worse, I have been working from home for about 8 years the last 4 self employed, work is everywhere planning what happening for tomorrow or next week when you get the time to do it. Considering most of the day is taken up with doing other stuff needed for work going to sites, takeing phone calls, placeing orders, dealing with suppliers. Everything happens after everyone else finishes work at 5:30. I'm sure most other self employed people are very similar.

When I went to a place of work it wasnt much better, planning routes to sites for the next day, makeing sure I had the kit I needed for a job. I would hate it though if I was working for someone else and working at home doing work that I just didnt have time to do during the hours I was getting paid to do. If they want me to go home and actually do stuff I would do in the office they can pay me for it.

I don't consider self development work, reading up on whats new in IT and stuff is part of knowing the industry.

I'm guessing Munkybutt is middle management sorry team leader. Wanting 120% out of his employees sorry team members.

No one can give more than 100%. 100% of your time is 24 hours a day. Im fucked if Im spending all my life makeing someone else more money without getting the benefits myself and a were happy with your comitment to the company at an apraisal isnt a benefit as far as Im concerned.

Whatnow stop the eorking from home, as monkeybutt says it will become expected of you to do it if the point comes when you have had enough then they will see you as a worse employee than you were for the last few months.
    Last edited by Little John; 19th June 2008 at 12:07 AM.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post
    It could be worse, I have been working from home for about 8 years the last 4 self employed, work is everywhere planning what happening for tomorrow or next week when you get the time to do it. Considering most of the day is taken up with doing other stuff needed for work going to sites, takeing phone calls, placeing orders, dealing with suppliers. Everything happens after everyone else finishes work at 5:30. I'm sure most other self employed people are very similar.

When I went to a place of work it wasnt much better, planning routes to sites for the next day, makeing sure I had the kit I needed for a job. I would hate it though if I was working for someone else and working at home doing work that I just didnt have time to do during the hours I was getting paid to do. If they want me to go home and actually do stuff I would do in the office they can pay me for it.

I don't consider self development work, reading up on whats new in IT and stuff is part of knowing the industry.

I'm guessing Munkybutt is middle management sorry team leader. Wanting 120% out of his employees sorry team members.

No one can give more than 100%. 100% of your time is 24 hours a day. Im fu(ked if Im spending all my life makeing someone else more money without getting the benefits myself and a were happy with your comitment to the company at an apraisal isnt a benefit as far as Im concerned.

Whatnow stop the eorking from home, as monkeybutt says it will become expected of you to do it if the point comes when you have had enough then they will see you as a worse employee than you were for the last few months.

Hahaha, you got it ine one littlejohn....... and take the tip, mate, dont make a habit out of working late. There is also H & S issues........Every manager has a responsibility to comply with EU law etc. Sorry, gotta do my bit.

And the operative words are "middle management". Been on a sabbatical for two years now about to get sacked. Was it burn out ? or divorce ? No idea, I just needed time out.

I want issues like this again, makes me feel alive & part of team. No employer (except under Equal Opportunities) will ever employ me again. So its refreshing to hear a dedicated youngster on the make. Will so what I can in as much as I remember. As a Manager, I never let go of the floor and my team leaders knew it, hated it and knew what I was looking for in progression.

Management aint so hot. I want to be part of a team again. Thats what my sabbatical did to me. It made me want to be on the floor and guide people. Why go through shit for no thanks ? Report to the board. for what ? Do something I disagree with as a matter of principal ? Thing is I have been detached for so long and I cant integrate back into being part of a team. I have issues, know too much and even preach to interviewers. Shit, I yell them their jobs. So, I tell you, I enjot being me & my freetime is mine but I spend it either here or reading about my industry. & I am not FPC qualified. Should be, but I broke rules & called in favors and dissappointed the people who helped me. MY confession is over. Manager for 10 yrs, way things went, not for me.
    Last edited by Munkybutt; 19th June 2008 at 12:57 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by whatnow View Post

perhaps i'm just a sad jobsworth (unt
    i bet you're a traffic warden

"When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

Thanks
    Karma Level

na, I make e-learning content for an educational institution and i love it

I also make e-learning content outside of work in both personal projects and ideas for stuff I'm doing at work. I've also got a growing sheet of jobs do with systems and etcetera - but they interest me too.

Another problem i've found is i've been told by members of staff here that when you come out of a place like this you end up playing all the stuff you did down. atm I run one external web server running a virtual learning enviornment (and all the content/management and development that goes along with that), one internal intranet server (inc. a CMS that runs on it) plus I am in a project for SharePoint and I havn't even started to mention the fact that I make e-learning content - LOL !

I was told when u go to another interview and they say, 'there's no chance you ran all that stuff single handedly and did a good job of it'. So in effect, all the hardwork is just for the present day, tomorrow it'll be irrelavent.

But I can't sit by and watch it turn to shit, therefore Job = Life

I'm not complaining though, I'm in the creative industry, it's supposed to be long hours like many others. It's got it's benefits though
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

never ever take work home with me. But I'm advancing through my CCNP which I dont consider work. That's all. I believe taking work home is for saddo's...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    It was a major factor in the ending of one long term relationship some years ago, although I 'listened' to the GF's moan about not spending enough sat with her in the evenings etc. and even agreed to do that when I got in from work; result?... her sat there watching every fu(king soap on the box for 3 hours non stop and if I said anything 'shhh!' was her answer...
    that's so true in my house. she watches every soap possible so i sit on my lappy and when the soaps finish i get "you never pay me any attention"

i used to work extra hours, late or early mornings and it rarely gets noted so i've stopped doing it now. I'll work late when i have to (networking changes that have to be done out of hours), but i still see some of my colleagues workng past 5 and they don't get any recognition.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Munkybutt View Post
    I want issues like this again, makes me feel alive & part of team. No employer (except under Equal Opportunities) will ever employ me again. So its refreshing to hear a dedicated youngster on the make. Will so what I can in as much as I remember. As a Manager, I never let go of the floor and my team leaders knew it, hated it and knew what I was looking for in progression.
    I get these feelings often, working on my own for so long just isn't good. before self employment it wasn't too bad as occasionally I would meet up with the other engineers who worked for the same company and we would work on jobs together or I would spend a week up at head office in Glasgow but now it is very rare I get to work with others.

I have applied for a few jobs in the last year and always get knocked back even jobs I was perfectly qualified to do, I have been putting ultra low incomes on the forms just to make companies see I'm not in it for the money. The reason they give is that due to working alone for so long they don't believe I will be able to work as part of a team.

I have been thinking about ditching IT completly but I don't want to be sat at a desk all day everyday answering the phone I like to get out and about.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

LilacHarryQuinn

There's nothing wrong with you taking a pride in your work and doing the best job you can but the truth of the situation is that if you drop dead today you'd be replaced within a month and forgotten in two.

If it makes you happy and it's not affecting anyone else though then it's entirely up to you what you do with your life imho.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive worked from home for the last 2 years now so i really have no choice but to take it home with me!!

My job works both ways to be honest, There are some weeks where i need to get things finished and will end up working over the weekend or late in the evenings but then there are also weeks when i can skip off for the day if im a little quieter. It works well for me to be honest as if i know that i want to do something on a Friday afternoon then i will work my arse off to get what i need to get done

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I used to think about work all the time but recently i've tried to leave it in the office and stop getting stressed out about things. Since I came back from Holiday i've been doing good at not letting the idiots get to me I work 8 till 6 for 4 days a week and get Wednesday's off and i've stopped checking my emails now and I turn my phone off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I try and take as much home with me as I can, I'm loving my new job in the local brothel apart from all the STD's it's very enjoyable.