Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

moan Just been doctors

and now i have high cholesterol even though i eat pretty good food (but smoke) i didnt like the way he was with me tbh he wasnt nasty i just felt he was holding back :| i also had high blood pressure on the day first time for me ever im gutted all my bro an sis's cholesterol is low and they smoke too and dont touch things like garlic or olive oil or any type of food like that ever! it seems i have the bad gene and wat pisses me off is i was askin about my diet and he was just sorta brushing it off by sayin thats all good but! didnt make any diff? sorta like if u got it u got it! anyway i asked if i need any tablets to lower it and he said no just come back next week for another checkup funny thing is i went to docs for another reason he just asked me if i wud like to have a blood test while i was there cos he hadnt seen me for so long. now i feel like shit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: Just been doctors

I have had them in the past also mate but really..to get a true reading you need to have a fasting test done....no food or water from the night before and then they do the blood test.

The doctor musnt be overly alarmed by it otherwise he/she would have requested one of those.Lots of people have high cholesterol and it doesnt make a difference to their lives..

Try not to worry mate im sure its just OLD AGE

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Just been doctors

Do you exercise? If not maybe do 30mins a day of something like swimming, running or cycling.

Failing that, eat shredded wheat. Ian Botham swears by it...

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by the_wizzard View Post
    and now i have high cholesterol even though i eat pretty good food (but smoke) i didnt like the way he was with me tbh he wasnt nasty i just felt he was holding back :| i also had high blood pressure on the day first time for me ever im gutted all my bro an sis's cholesterol is low and they smoke too and dont touch things like garlic or olive oil or any type of food like that ever! it seems i have the bad gene and wat pisses me off is i was askin about my diet and he was just sorta brushing it off by sayin thats all good but! didnt make any diff? sorta like if u got it u got it! anyway i asked if i need any tablets to lower it and he said no just come back next week for another checkup funny thing is i went to docs for another reason he just asked me if i wud like to have a blood test while i was there cos he hadnt seen me for so long. now i feel like shit.
    What was the cholesterol figure mate?

If he did it on spec its not a true cholesterol mate, you need to starve from midnight then have bloods taken in the morning for a true reading.

Get your arse to the practice nurse and ask to book in for a fasting cholesterol, its probably fine!!
    SUNDERLAND AFC - THE NORTH EASTS ONLY PREMIERSHIP TEAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Like others have said, if you didn't fast before it I wouldn't take it as gospel, instead book in for a proper test and then see the results and take it from there.
    My blog on our attempts at growing vegetables on the allotment http://allotmentproject.wordpress.com/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah fasting is essential for a true lipid test. There is a thread in here I posted about reducing our cholesterol and there are a number of things you can try. I have it and eat a very healthy diet but it seems it is hereditary. If push comes to shove you could try statins off the quack. Mine is somewhere round 4 now. What is your actual figure?

Thanks
    Karma Level

He's said to go back next week for another check-up so just do the fasting one then.

If it is genetic then theres not much that can be done, and don't accept statin's unless its a last resort (diet first) as they can have some nasty side-effects such as muscle breakdown (although rare). Oh yeah, and don't stress about it as stress can raise cholesterol

Thanks
    Karma Level

it was a fast and lipid test

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

ahhh so you already fasted? well what were the figures and in all honesty, and im sure i will de disagreed with but your total cholesterol is not the best indicator!

some one could have a total of 4 but there hdl is 0.5, whilst the 4 is ok the 0.5 is naff, try posting your figures it may not be as bad as you think!

like someone has already said if the Dr was that bothered he would have suggested treatment!

crazy

Thanks
    Karma Level

20 mins exercise a day should sort it out.

Running or swimming is best

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by crazyadi View Post
    ahhh so you already fasted? well what were the figures and in all honesty, and im sure i will de disagreed with but your total cholesterol is not the best indicator!

some one could have a total of 4 but there hdl is 0.5, whilst the 4 is ok the 0.5 is naff, try posting your figures it may not be as bad as you think!

like someone has already said if the Dr was that bothered he would have suggested treatment!

crazy
    i had the tests done weeks ago i only managed to see the doc again yesterday all he told me was im not diabetic im not anemic liver and kidneys all ok but i have high cholesterol! and he didnt say how high! he did say a while ago above 4\5 is considered high i asked if he was gonna give me treatment for it and he just said he would like me to come in for weekly checkups first before deciding what to do

Thanks
    Karma Level

i had the tests done weeks ago i only managed to see the doc again yesterday all he told me was im not diabetic im not anemic liver and kidneys all ok but i have high cholesterol! and he didnt say how high! he did say a while ago above 45 is considered high i asked if he was gonna give me treatment for it and he just said he would like me to come in for weekly checkups first before deciding what to do
    You just need to alter your diet mate. I used to be a right fat bastard (16 stone at one point) and cut out all the crap a used to eat and try not to drink during the week (although it's diffucult suring Euro '08!) and now I'm 14 stone 4lbs

Avoid Saturated fats and cut down on portions if you find you are often really full after meals.

If you give up smoking it'll drop like a stone, and you will notice a dramitic chage to your health, but I realise that isn't the easiest.

Good luck with it mate - remember, your health is the most important thing - you only get one go!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

he did say a while ago above 45 is considered high i asked if he was gonna give me treatment for it and he just said he would like me to come in for weekly checkups first before deciding what to do
    assuming he was suggesting a total cholesterol is high at 4/5 then he is wrong!

unless you already have heart disease or are at high risk then a normal cholesterol is anything less than 5.2 mmol obviously the lower the better. if you are at high risk of heart disease then less than 4.0 mmol is the figure you should aim for.

when you consider than the average is 5.5mmol then anything less than that puts you in a group which is lower then the average.

bear in mind though that the risks associated with high cholesterol are better gauged by the ratio of lipids, a good ratio being less than 4. so having a 'normal' total doesnt always mean 'good' for example if your total is 4 but your Hdl is 0.6 then your ratio would be 6, the other side of that coin is your total cholesterol could be 8 whilst you have a hdl of 2.2 then your ratio would be 3.6 which is preferctly fine.

there is some discussion within medicine that they may lower the figures for total cholesterol to 3.0mmol so that will put all but about 5% of the population in the high cholesterol group and is complete nonsense...IMHO