Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Film EliteTorrents admin faces 10 years in jail

EliteTorrents admin faces 10 years in jail
    Posted on 29.06.2008 at 04:31 in Tech News by Martin
    26yo Daniel Dove has become the first person ever to be convicted by a jury for using BitTorrent to illegally distribute copyrighted material. It was on May 25th, 2005 that federal authorities first busted the famed EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker site following the pre-release leak of a “Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith” workprint. Called Operation D-Elite, it was part of a nationwide federal crackdown against the illegal distribution of copyrighted movies, software, games and music over P2P networks. So far it’s resulted in the convictions of seven former leading members of EliteTorrents. Fellow admins, Scott McCausland, Grant Stanley, Sam Kuonen, and Scott Harvanek, all pleaded guilty to similar charges rather than take their cases to trial. Now Acting Assistant Attorney General Matthew Friedrich has announced that 26yo Daniel Dove has become the eighth person to have been successfully targeted by the Department of Justice and the first person ever to be convicted after a trial by jury in the US for using BitTorrent to engage in criminal copyright infringement.

The jury was presented with evidence that Dove was an administrator of the site’s “Uploaders,” who were responsible for supplying pirated content to the group. The evidence showed that Dove recruited members who had very high-speed Internet connections, usually at least 50 times faster than a typical high-speed residential Internet connection, to become Uploaders. The evidence also showed that Dove operated a high-speed server, which he used to distribute pirated content to the Uploaders. Dove’s sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 9, 2008 where he faces a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison. At its height, EliteTorrents attracted more than 125,000 members and distributed about 700 movies, which were downloaded a total of 1.1 million times.

source http://www.rlslog.net/
    Last edited by bobo06; 29th June 2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: source added

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: EliteTorrents admin faces 10 years in jail

Youch, where do UK users (regardless of site or tracker) stand on these issues? Can the US prosecute overseas?

Thanks
    Karma Level

elite torrents was mint--i was a member and had downloaded at least 500gig from them lol looks like i,m fooked-they can,t prove shit

Thanks
    Karma Level

blair signed the uk all up to a one way extradition treaty. so if the yanks want us tried in a us court the uk govt lets them take uk citizens.

the treaty has no reciprocal arrangements. so we are basically the 51st state governed by us federal law in this respect.

Thanks
    Karma Level

fact is anyways they got the guys they were after,they anit interested in small fry

Thanks
    Karma Level

10 years for leaking a shite film like Revenge of the Sith... blimey that's tuff.

I think I would rather go down for stealing from the pound shop!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BOYYAKKA View Post
    elite torrents was mint--i was a member and had downloaded at least 500gig from them lol looks like i,m fooked-they can,t prove shit
    Mate you should never leave your wireless network unsecured, random people can download all sorts from your connection
    I only recently secured my network.... about the same time as I started using ssl for dl

Thanks
    Karma Level

ET was top of its game. Exciting, community based downloads. The general release of tbsource was a fucking end to it all. Every wankstain wanna be cocksucker cunter opened a site. I don't bother with torrents now other than digging through tbsource every now and then for a few mates who run private trackers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

never even heard of the site, i must have my finger on the pulse

Thanks
    Karma Level

FFS

If you deal in illegal software then don't bitch when you get caught. Simple.