Close

Thread: Windows Vista

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Windows Vista

hi there i have just put windows vista on my computer and i keep hearing harddrive shuting down
    i have two hard drives in my system one for my main and one for my files

when i am just surfing the web at time to time i hear like a hard drive shut down

any info on this

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: windows vista

go to power options and change hard drive power options to Never (which means never switches off)

I doubt the above would really help but you dont know until you try hey

Alternatively download a hard drive diagnostic tool to check if your hard drive has bad sectors..

Thanks
    Karma Level

yup - Control Panel> System & Maintenance > Power Options, put it onto High Performance and change your plan settings. Click on Change Advanced Power Settings and look for Hard Disk and do what xirokx says. This will stop the drives powering down when you are browsing etc.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Windows Vista

the drive is only powering down because it's not in use. it's to save on your leccy bill, it may take a second or two to fire back up again but that's only when you access it. i'd let windows power it off personally. there's no harm in it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

errmmm, I do exactly like you. I operate two drives on my mobo. One is 260 GB, the other is 165 Gb.

My system atm is is AMD 64 3000+ purchased a few years ago (2004). I am 41 years old and can be described as a a gadget freak.

My system is mostly used as a media centre ie 90% of time, I use my system as either a download centre forfilms, TV progs or for playing my embarrasing music (tracks I like, not just for what I think other people might find cool).

Occassionally I like to play games. And I like games that challenge both me me intellectually (stratagy games) and my system.

Recently I have become bored with my mobo and actively have searched for an upgrade. As stated my mobo is AMD 64, 3000+ clawhammer, MSI K8T NEO motherboard. Case is Thermaltake Xaser 3 with AGP Radeon 9600 graphics with 400W power supply. I run an S-video from my graphics card to my 720 p CRT television ie (its just a lead from my PC 7 pin graphics cards to my normal 28 inch widescreen Phillips CRT television, lead retails at about 5 pounds on ebay).

When I purchased system, windows XP SP1 was all the rage and I was happy with my near top end system (4 years ago).

I run my system 16 hours a day, 16x7 days a week... and have done so everyday for the past 4 years. My share ratio on torrents (legal, I have to say that) is 3.2 and have just got into rapidshare and NZB's (mostly for films, TV progs & the like).

Due to my demand for a near perferct system, I decided to test drive windows Vista this week. XP support ceased on 30 June 2008 and I didnt want to be left behind.

My current system (K8T NEO & athlon 64 3000+) should support both windows vista x86 (32 bit) & vista 64 (64 bit). I test drove windows Vista 64 bit to make use of my AMD Athlon 64 bit processor and am currently running windows vista x86 (32 bit). MY cable provider is v **gin (upgrade from 4 mbs to 10 mps). Ram is 2 gb currently.

Windows Vista 64, I quickly gave up on. V""gin media does not support PC guard on this platform only windows vista 32 bit (x86). I quickly got infected over the internet and suffered many crashes when searching for AVIRA free antvirus. I kept my 2nd drive set up on windows XP and it came to my help many times over a 48 hr period.

I am in the process of upgrading my computer components, namely I just purchased a lower end motherboard (K9n Neo V3) to run an AMD 64x2 5600+ processor and a BFG 8800 GTS 640MB PCIE graphics card and thought windows Vista would would compliment this set up. My idea is I cannot afford a quad core CPU as yet but would like to future proof my PC. Therfore total cost of upgrade (less OS) is 4 quid shy of 100 pounds. So have gone for AMD 64 dual core (beats Intel processors in this range). In another year, I want to upgrade to Intel Quadcore series (Intel beats AMD on quadcore processors in this range). New vista OS would compliment this set up.

Alas it is not to be.

Windows Vista 64 is not as yet fully supported with drivers for registry fix, PC guard (virg"n media) and many other applications such as EPSON RX620, Promise raid controllers etc.

My conclusion is ........... stick to windows XP until microsoft has sorted out bugs with vista.If you have to run windows VISTA, take the x86 version (32 bits). Vista 32bit version is almost fully supported. DO NOT run windows 64 bit Vista until fully supported.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Munkybutt; 3rd July 2008 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I hate the networking side of Vista :-( has anyone figured out a way to join an XP share yet but not in simple / Guest mode ? its a joke

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Morph View Post
    I hate the networking side of Vista :-( has anyone figured out a way to join an XP share yet but not in simple / Guest mode ? its a joke
    Huh ? Speak english why dontcha ? whats XP share ? If you mean log in ...simple on XP. On Vista I aint bothered as am the only User. Guessing you can set up multiple accounts in control panel/user accounts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

oh and I jsut discovered this ........windows Vista has built in "green" options... such as economy settings..........

go to START/control panel/system & maintenance/power options...........

3 choices... balanced / power saver / high performance. Select the one most appropriate to you. Default is balanced.

Secondly go to

Start/control panel/Appearance & personilization/personaliztion/click on screen saver/ now adjust screen saver & power options.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Morph View Post
    it's not possible to connect in simple/guest mode in vista... the feature was removed!

you have got matching user accounts names/passwords on both machines haven't you?