Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Help making a BartPE USB Stick

Been trying to make one for a little bit now - ran the wizard on an oem xp cd - seemed to work except ntoskrnl.exe was missing so I copied it manually from the cd and it now blue screens with error c000021a when booting.

Tried with a few other oem xp cd's and all say operating system when not found when I try to boot from the usb. Is using an oem cd messing things up or does anyone know if I'm doing something else wrong?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Help making a BartPE USB Stick

Have you ripped the appropriate files out of Server 2003 SP1? It MUST be this and not sp2 or anything? These will go into a srsp1 folder and the installation files from your windows cd should go in the bartpe folder. Then when you run the pe2usb (off the top of my head) it picks the files from both and puts them on the usb stick. As I recall the windows cd you use shouldn't matter but maybe try another if the OEM is the only thing you think could be causing problems. It's quite tricky but well worth it, my usb stick is a little power house! Message back quick before I go offline if you need any more help!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did the above, I don't think pe2usb will run unless that's been done.

Checked it out, apparently the problem I'm getting is due to not slipstreaming the service pack correctly. Thing is I tried it with two different cds with sp2 already incorporated so this shouldn't be a problem.

Also the problem I had with the "no operating system" wasn't to do with what I was doing, usb booting apparently is a bit flaky, normally picks it up within 3-4 reboots, but still no joy. Found a dell xp sp1a pro cd, gonna try it with that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've always found usb boot works first time if the bios supports it. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorted it in the end by getting a dell sp2 cd then slipstreaming sp3 with it, then preparing it for use. However, the slipstreamed cd won't work on a pc strangely but I've got bartpe working.

Now I need to figure out how to slipstream network card drivers on to there. Something to do for tomorrow

Thanks
    Karma Level

is the error you're getting "inaccessible boot device"? it'll prob be coz you haven't got the correct sata drivers slipstreamed for the dos mode portion of setup...

grab a copy of nlite to slipstream drivers dead easy...

Thanks
    Karma Level

What drivers should I slipstream with nlite to get network card support. Is the one standard driver that most cards work with?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    is the error you're getting "inaccessible boot device"? it'll prob be coz you haven't got the correct sata drivers slipstreamed for the dos mode portion of setup...

grab a copy of nlite to slipstream drivers dead easy...
    Thanks again, you never cease to amaze me :emot89: I did have it booting from the usb but I thought the network card drivers would make sense, if I ever need this again it would be easier copying stuff to a network folder than fiddling about. Didn't know if nlite would happily work with bartpe, cheers for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kushty View Post
    What drivers should I slipstream with nlite to get network card support. Is the one standard driver that most cards work with?
    The most standard ones should be included I think. What other drivers I suppose varies. At work I've had to sort 5 different types of dell pc's. iirc they all needed additional drivers for either intel 10/100 pro/ intel gigabit / broadcom gigabit.

Not too sure about this business, but I'm guessing maybe it might be an idea to create the bartpe installation from one of those hacked xp distros with loads of extra drivers?