DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The DF 6-Pack Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    My pre-challenge shots taken tonight:
    ]
    Skinny Runt.......

I have 2 of you one for each thigh....!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Roach, need a side on shot too. If you don't disappear that is.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also, everyone should post up, when/if the sub forum comes up any fancy style supplements used (not the normal protein supps).

Slightly off subject, the sub forum could be permanent as a sort of journal/challenges (like this) forum as a lot of people seem to have started them. Might help people with commitment too.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestmac View Post
    Skinny Runt.......

I have 2 of you one for each thigh....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    Roach, need a side on shot too. If you don't disappear that is.

You think?

I'm 6' 3" and weight 14 and 1/2 stone (dropped from 15st 4lbs in the last 13 weeks). I've dropped a trouser size from a 36" waist back down to a 34" all thorugh cutting out alcohol. I'm hardly skinny just very well proportioned.

I swam competitively from a very early age (up to county and club level) which I feel determined my physique. I was very short until I was 15 yrs old (about 5'3") and then put on a massive growth spurt and grew around another 12" in height over 2 years. Like most men I carry the bulk of my flab around my mid-section, which is where I am looking to lose it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You think?

I'm 6' 3" and weight 14 and 1/2 stone (dropped from 15st 4lbs in the last 13 weeks). I've dropped a trouser size from a 36" waist back down to a 34" all thorugh cutting out alcohol. I'm hardly skinny just very well proportioned.

I swam competitively from a very early age (up to county and club level) which I feel determined my physique. I was very short until I was 15 yrs old (about 5'3") and then put on a massive growth spurt and grew around another 12" in height over 2 years. Like most men I carry the bulk of my flab around my mid-section, which is where I am looking to lose it.
    To be fair Roach there's some very clear definition already there, just a case of stripping the top layer off for you

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    To be fair Roach there's some very clear definition already there, just a case of stripping the top layer off for you
    But we are all posting a before and after pic so it's who makes the most difference in that time period (6 weeks). That Spoony was in pretty good shape before he started the challenge but you could still see the massive contrast in before and after the regime. If anything the worse your start pics the better it will look when it comes to posting your finish ones.

I've not been training half as well as I should have lately, what with the build up to the baby and then since his arrival. I am still getting 2 good sessions a week but need to step up my cardio and get a 3rd and 4th weights session in. I will re-hang my punch bag today and also get skipping - both great conditioning exercises. All forms of twisting will help bring out your obliques so bear that in mind.

Remember if you start doing crunches there are 2 ways to do them both giving different results: fast reps will give you flatter abs, slow heavy reps will give your abs depth (more shadows for your photos ). I reckon you need to be doing a minimum of 300 ab movements 3 times a week and at least 100 others every day.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You think?

I feel my first comment should have had a little face by it, but You look bigger than that, so well done. And well done on cutting out the booze.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    I feel my first comment should have had a little face by it, but you look bigger than that, so well done. And well done on cutting out the booze.

Lol don't worry pal I am not that over-sensitive

The booze thing has been a bit of a revelation to me as I really didn't realise the weight would drop off just like that, perhaps a bit naive of me really?

I'd got into a bad habit of having a fat glass of red every night and then tucking into at least 30 units on a Sat night session be it in a restaurant or bar/club. With the advent of Roach Junior I've not been going out so much and also kept off the booze in the 5 weeks or so up to his arrival in case the missus went into labour and I couldn't drive her to the hospital.

Got a few boozy nights planned over the next few months though so will have to watch my step

Thanks
    Karma Level

just bought and read the full mens health article

no great revelations but a worthy read and inspiration for the df challenge

more photos and stuff

bring it on

Thanks
    Karma Level

"Remember if you start doing crunches there are 2 ways to do them both giving different results: fast reps will give you flatter abs, slow heavy reps will give your abs depth (more shadows for your photos ). I reckon you need to be doing a minimum of 300 ab movements 3 times a week and at least 100 others every day."

That is probably one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read.

"fast reps will give you flatter abs"

"slow heavy reps will give your abs depth"

On a few notes, what are "flatter abs" and what is "abs depth"

Your stomach area either shows fat or if there is no fat, what is underneath (ie muscle).

One very, very important point also (that the statement above seems to allude to) is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to spot remove fat. That is to say that doing a zillion crunches will not move fat from your stomach any faster than doing something else that burns the same calories.

In fact crunches actually burn very few calories.

Sorry if this post seems overly harsh, but I can whole heartedly promise you that doing 300 "ab movents" a day or whatever it was is never in a month of Monday's going to build a six pack for anyone on these forums.

Again, you cannot spot remove fat by "concentrating on a particular area" so instead of doing crunches you'd be better off doing something more constructive and your "6 pack" is already there, just under a layer or two of fat so if you want it to show then you need to sort out your diet.

No alcohol , no junk and you're on your way to a six pack a hell (and I mean a hell) of a lot quicker than doing 4 hundred million crunches every day, but then that's a fact most people don't want to hear.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mate I think you've completely jumped the gun there. Roach didn't say anything about the crunchs spot reducing fat, that's why he mentions doing cardio (to reduce body fat) in the same post. He also says in the first post of this thread how important a healthy diet and a lot of cardio is to getting the six-pack. A little tip if you're making initial posts on a new forum (although you've been a member for years?!?!), don't tell people they are saying one of the most ridiculous things you've ever read before you read the rest of the thread (or even post)

Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    Again, you cannot spot remove fat by "concentrating on a particular area" so instead of doing crunches you'd be better off doing something more constructive and your "6 pack" is already there, just under a layer or two of fat so if you want it to show then you need to sort out your diet.

No alcohol , no junk and you're on your way to a six pack a hell (and I mean a hell) of a lot quicker than doing 4 hundred million crunches every day, but then that's a fact most people don't want to hear.
    Cleaning your diet up will help no end as your cardio will be burning off existing fat and you will not be taking on anymore either. Just remember everything that you put in your mouth needs to be burnt off again.

You need to step up that cardio too. 30mins x 5 a week is not enough to burn of your gut in that short amount of time. I would say you need to be doing 2 x 60mins (2 x 45 mins at an absolute minimum) per day 7 days a week (1 x am session, 1 x pm session).
    Oh and I think what he meant about flat/deep abs is that once the body fat is removed you can develop your abs in different ways. You can build their mass, making them deep or simply tone them so that they are flatter but strong and firm.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah wasn't the smartest 4th post ever m8...I'm saying nowt I'll let Roach answer for himself!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

well here goes !

i guess this thread is the type of thing i have been waiting for to give me the final motivational push to get back in some shape .

roughly im 6 foot in height and am now down to just over 14 stone by stopping all the burgers and crap from my weekly intake of food
    its not been an intentional diet just a nagging voice in my head telling me quit burgers or die from a heart attack !

its a bit of a shamefull situation to be honest as a few years ago i was in very good shape weighing nearly 15 stone with very little fat at all ,although this is not a look i would like to return to i would like to benefit from the health side of things again.

so heres a picture of my gut today and lets see what happens next

Thanks
    Karma Level

"Remember if you start doing crunches there are 2 ways to do them both giving different results: fast reps will give you flatter abs, slow heavy reps will give your abs depth (more shadows for your photos ). I reckon you need to be doing a minimum of 300 ab movements 3 times a week and at least 100 others every day."

That is probably one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read.

"fast reps will give you flatter abs"

"slow heavy reps will give your abs depth"

On a few notes, what are "flatter abs" and what is "abs depth"

Your stomach area either shows fat or if there is no fat, what is underneath (ie muscle).

One very, very important point also (that the statement above seems to allude to) is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to spot remove fat. That is to say that doing a zillion crunches will not move fat from your stomach any faster than doing something else that burns the same calories.

In fact crunches actually burn very few calories.

Sorry if this post seems overly harsh, but I can whole heartedly promise you that doing 300 "ab movents" a day or whatever it was is never in a month of Monday's going to build a six pack for anyone on these forums.

I'll apologise now if I sound like a cunt.

What authority are you on the subject, out of interest?

Roach Rampino is one of the most respected members on the board, and gives countless hours of time and effort helping people like me improve their lives.

Now you, a relative nobody, have basically called him out as some kind of cunt.

100's of people have followed RR's advice and have become healthier, fitter, and in better shape because of it - still ridiculous?

As for your comment in another thread -

For my two penneth.

I wouldn't do any cardio stuff at all as imho it will lead to you eventually putting on more weight(fat).

I'll try to explain:

...etc...
    Now, I think that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

Don't do cardio because you'll end up putting weight on? Wtf? Who's was your PT, Vanessa Feltz?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't not respect any body, but I was just trying to get a few points across.

As for "Oh and I think what he meant about flat/deep abs is that once the body fat is removed you can develop your abs in different ways. You can build their mass, making them deep or simply tone them so that they are flatter but strong and firm."

That is also in all honesty quite ridiculous, you can't develop yours abs in different ways, it's impossible. They get there shape from your genetics, which you can't alter. You can make them bigger/smaller but that's it, you can't shape them or "tone" them - either bigger or smaller, that's your two options.

Again, I apologise if this seems out of order, but there's not really another way of saying it and I hope the OP understands. Whatever I've said, is based on scientific fact and is only meant to help.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't not respect any body, but I was just trying to get a few points across.

As for "Oh and I think what he meant about flat/deep abs is that once the body fat is removed you can develop your abs in different ways. You can build their mass, making them deep or simply tone them so that they are flatter but strong and firm."

That is also in all honesty quite ridiculous, you can't develop yours abs in different ways, it's impossible. They get there shape from your genetics, which you can't alter. You can make them bigger/smaller but that's it, you can't shape them or "tone" them - either bigger or smaller, that's your two options.

Again, I apologise if this seems out of order, but there's not really another way of saying it and I hope the OP understands. Whatever I've said, is based on scientific fact and is only meant to help.
    No need for an apology mate it's just that you've waded in undermining some advice that has been given from a tried and tested resource. The person with whom I trained with who informed me this was the case for developing abs (which goes hand in hand with a controlled diet and a minmum of 2 hours low intensity "fat burn" cardio per day) has Premier* Diplomas in Personal Training, Nutrition & Weight Management, Gym Instruction and Advanced Personal Training. He has competed for over 14 years in body building competitions, is also qualified in Sports Therapy and a 4th Kyu karate. I think these are qualifications enough to be an authority on the subject.

*Premier being one of the most highly acclaimed personal and fitness training academies in the UK.

I am well aware that muscle shape and position is pre-defined but condition and training, tearing and re-growth of muscle fibres (both slow twitch and fast twitch) can have a massive impact on both shape and size of the muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Larry
    "No alcohol , no junk and you're on your way to a six pack a hell (and I mean a hell) of a lot quicker than doing 4 hundred million crunches every day, but then that's a fact most people don't want to hear. "
    You obviously haven't bothered to read through the Guns Gym threads properly and seen that on many occasion I have said time & time again that no number of crunches will ever give you a six pack; that it is on fact a 3 pronger assault - diet, cardio and abs training, the latter being so that once the fat is burnt away, it will reveal the abdominal muscles that have always been there.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you appear to have jumped in without reading enough of what's going on. Please go back through the relevant threads instead of trying to undermine my advice with little or no research being done prior to your posting.

Spot on to Ganty and Kushty for obviously taking on board and understanding what has been discussed and given so far in the way of advice on the subject.
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 6th July 2008 at 09:52 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Taken from a pm from me to Sanj[UK] yesterday discussing the DF 6-pack challenge...

"Of course I will try to help mate.

What exercise equipment have you got access to? Anything? Bike? rowing machine?

There's 3 main things you are going to have get sorted to get some good results here:

1. Diet: As per my post in the Tam9 "Lose the gut" thread you will have to make some good preparations and drastic changes to your regular diet to achieve drastic results.
    2. Cardio: You must get an absolute minimum of 60 mins cardio in per day, made up from no smaller than 2 x 30 mins sessions (or 1 whole 60mins) but no less, more if you can get the time. It doesn't have to be full pelt , hell for leather, just enough pace to keep you short of breath i.e. unable to have a conversation is about right. If you can get your hands on a heart rate monitor all the better but not essential.
    3. Abdominal work: Sit-ups, crunches, squat thrusts etc etc will all help build your abs and obliques which will pay dividends when you start to burn off that mid section fat.
    This 3 pronged assault will get you out whatever you put in. Do it half hearted you will look back and know exactly why you didn't achieve a better result.

I am more than happy to help, listen and advise but only you can do the hard work to get this done. Keep telling yourself, it's only 6 weeks and if you do this once a year, every year it will be easier
    ."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wiggi28 View Post
    so heres a picture of my gut today and lets see what happens next

Now breathe out

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the reply (and also understanding that I wasn't calling you a c*nt as suggested )

Main point I was/am making is that cardio isn't an essential to lose fat as many people think. Best in the first place not to eat the crap (diet) build some good solid muscle (weights + diet) and you will get a six pack and that's without doing 1 crunch or any "cardio". I can't quite see the point in recommending doing 300 ab movements per session, I can see the point in doing a session of compound movement free weights.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJAd View Post
    Now breathe out
    that is breathing out
    this is breathing in

i may sound like a fat sod but most of my weight is carried around my shoulders and thighs

i dont have a natural beer gut because i dont drink beer i may like the odd pie or three but im no bloater i just want to tidy things up a bit

cant seem to find your pic djad ?

are you going to post one ?
    Last edited by wiggi28; 6th July 2008 at 12:29 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast