Close

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The DF 6-Pack Challenge

Fuck me I'm 16 stone 8 pound :/

Will weigh myself again in morning as I have a crate of beer to finish off today in the name of project DF fit-as-fuck. And a curry lol.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Fuck me I'm 16 stone 8 pound :/

Will weigh myself again in morning as I have a crate of beer to finish off today in the name of project DF fit-as-fuck. And a curry lol.
    how tall are you freddy ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wiggi28 View Post
    how tall are you freddy ?
    5' 2"

Thanks
    Karma Level

5' 2"

is that with or without your stilleto shoes ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just shy of 6 foot.

How much weigh loss should I be aiming for over the 6 weeks chaps?

Thanks
    Karma Level

12-15lbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    12-15lbs
    yeah?

Anyone else?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the reply (and also understanding that I wasn't calling you a c*nt as suggested )

Main point I was/am making is that cardio isn't an essential to lose fat as many people think. Best in the first place not to eat the crap (diet) build some good solid muscle (weights + diet) and you will get a six pack and that's without doing 1 crunch or any "cardio". I can't quite see the point in recommending doing 300 ab movements per session, I can see the point in doing a session of compound movement free weights.
    When you diet down each year (as pretty much every serious gym based training person does) are you telling me that you do no cardio?

As I said before it's a bit of a shame that you "knee-jerk" replied to a selective amount of my posts without seeing and realising that over the last 3.5 years of posting in Guns Gym, I have educated myself and others by reading articles both online and in books & magazines, talking at length with qualified professionals (incl. pro footballers & their personal trainers, boxers and their coaches, sports massage threapists, physiotherapists, nutritionists and personal trainers and other pro athletes) and keen amateurs gleaning as much information about a subject which interests me.

Coupled with this I have over 15 years of personal gym experience, 7 years boxing and a high level swimming career (albeit it ended in my mid-teens) and having had the benefit of a personal trainer at various times for over 6 years. I also have learnt a large amount about diet and natural health from CzarJunkie (another DF member) books and articles too. I am always learning more and know that there are plenty of conflicting and sometimes radical opinions upon these subjects.

To address your point (which again I have stated many times before) everyone has a six pack under the fat. I am acutely aware that a surgeon could remove all a very obese person's skin and fat tissue and what's left would appear a very muscular body. Men and women's bodies tend to hold fat in different areas and the main and normally the toughest area to shift on men is the gut/stomach area. Granted you cannot "spot remove" fat unless it's done surgically but what ever you say cardio does burn fat. If you perform exercises which tear and re-build your abdominal muscles (lower and upper) and your obliques, when the fat is burnt off by the cardio, the visual result will be a lot more pleasing.

I think your posts are disruptive but do have one point worth addressing and that would be that a lot of people that undertake this 6 week challenge will not end up with a six pack. In an ideal world those who are carrying a,lot more fat should try to maintain the regime for more like 18 to 20 weeks but that is a big mountain to climb for even the most dedicated person. However those that commit to a strict training and diet regime will find that they will focus more on their food intake, will see that they can achive results through sensible eating and hard exercise and that they in turn will become a lot more aware of how they can look after their bodies.
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 6th July 2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: More added.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just shy of 6 foot.

How much weigh loss should I be aiming for over the 6 weeks chaps?
    i dont see an ideal answer for you although others will

you could referance a bmi index but its not something i personally would recomend as i dont think the make sence in the real world

it would be good to set a target to aim for but all i will be doing is going untill i feel good about my weight and apperance again .
    its very very rare i get weighed anyway as i dont see the point .

also it depnds on if you are going to replace your fat loss with muscle mass ?

its a big ball of string and everbody has differeny opinions inline with what has worked personally for themselves or advice the have been given .

its your body freddy just work out what you want personally .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

12-15lbs

Surely it would have been better to advise Freddy to weigh himself at the same time of the day at regular intervals (3 times a week)?

As stated before you shoudl aim to lose between 2 and 4lbs a week (every 7 days). There will be week when you lose more than others (and vice versa) but consistent clean dieting and a large amount of cardio will average out the weight loss over the set period.
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 6th July 2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah?

Anyone else?
    Buahahahaha

But he is about right, maybe a tad on the high side though. 2lb a week is entirely possible, but i wouldn't worry to much about the scales, this is more visually orientated. Still weigh yourself though, i'm interested in the outcomes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wiggi28 View Post
    its your body freddy just work out what you want personally .
    I just want to look lush in a thong.

Yes I agree to an extent about weighing ones self. For me I 'just' need to lose a few stone and am not too bothered about muscle. Certainly not after a 6 pack (just as well eh? lol).

Cheers mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    Surely it would have been better to advise Freddy to way himself at the same time of the day at regular intervals (3 times a week)?
    Would you say 3 times a week? Personally I would advise more time between purely because then the numbers lost will be bigger and the morale will be lifted greater. Just personal preference though really.

But weights must be recorded at the same time of day cause you fluctuate greatly through the day.

Thanks
    Karma Level

OK trying to figure out my breaky at mo.

"cut the carbs out of your diet (bread, pasta, cereals like Weetabix etc).

So I can have porridge. What cereals are ok? And I can't have a single slice of toast? Damm. Not having bread is gonna be hard. Ok. Fine. Just moaning out loud.

So what cereals are good?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just want to look lush in a thong.

Yes I agree to an extent about weighing ones self. For me I 'just' need to lose a few stone and am not too bothered about muscle. Certainly not after a 6 pack (just as well eh? lol).

Cheers mate.
    i wont be getting no six pack either !

just have a look at your diet and cut the rubbish out like i did .

it also depends where you carry your excess weight too and where you lose it from
    when my weight comes down i tend to lose it from my arms first then my thighs but never my shoulders but i am quite lucky i guess i dont carry any central weight around my waist but then again i dont drink so i guess i shouldnt have a beer gut anyway

if you want diet tips ask CJ

to be fair to him hes probably given out some of the best lifestyle diet advice i have seen alot better than the usual chicken and rice blurb you get down the local gym .

sometimes half the battle is making a few changes about what you eat etc that puts the weight on rather than trying to counteract the effects afterwards .

p.s

any chance of a before and after thong shot ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The link's there pal.

"No carbs" in terms of rice or potatoes. All other vegetables are fine; obviously they contain carbs but will do your gut no harm what so ever so eat as many greens etc as you like.

Remember to weigh yourselves at the same time of the day say no more than 3 times a week would be advisable as opposed to every day. Diet and training diaries are a great idea and post in here or pm others to discuss progress, problems, questions etc as it can help with your motivation.
    I reckon you would lose on average between 2 and 4lbs per week so potentially just under 2 stone but the best bit is that it would be pretty much all fat. You will lose some muscle mass but this can be kept to a minimum by doing some weights as well as the large amount of cardio.
    Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    Would you say 3 times a week? Personally I would advise more time between purely because then the numbers lost will be bigger and the morale will be lifted greater. Just personal preference though really.

But weights must be recorded at the same time of day cause you fluctuate greatly through the day.
    Totally agree super mike, as I mentioned before diaries and recording results are great for motivation. Weighing in 3 times a week for me would appeal as there's going to be less days with no change but that's personal preference.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If I were you I wouldnt weigh myself at all (but you asked so I gave you a figure I thought would be acheivable), possibly take a few photos but more importantly I'd take a measuremeant around my belly button once a week as this is probably the best indicator you're heading in the right direction.

@Freddy, you do need to be bothered about muscle cos it's that what's gonna burn the fat.

More muscle = you burn more calories from just sitting still.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

@Freddy, you do need to be bothered about muscle cos it's that what's gonna burn the fat.

More muscle = you burn more calories from just sitting still.
    Can you give an indication of how exactly (or even roughly)many calories please?

It's a very common claim used to show the benefits of a muscle-building program that it will help the person burn away body fat. There are even claims that for each pound of muscle at rest burns it can burn up as much as 50 calories per day. However hardly anyone who falls for this myth loses an ounce of body fat, unless of course they cycle their muscle-building training with an alternate program of aerobic or cardiovascular activity and a reduced calorie and controlled intake diet. In answer to your statement that muscle can burn calories at rest? I agree it does. Muscle in its resting state is like a car engine ticking over, burning up fuel (calories). So it's obvious that the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns at rest each day. But the fact is that the actual amount of calories burned by a pound of resting muscle in 24 hours is nowhere near as much as 50 calories, unless of course you include the activity that muscle performs.

The way scientists work out how many calories a person burns at rest, is that they calculate a person’s RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate), which is based on the person’s amount of lean body mass. For every pound of lean body mass (which includes skeletal muscle) it will burn a touch over 13 calories a day (at rest).

I completely concede that there are stacks of advantages to muscle building but I can assure you that using it to burn more calories is not a very efficient way to shed excess pounds of body fat.
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 6th July 2008 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Every little helps though.

Again, it's difficult because we are up against this term cardio, and for most people I think this brings up images of pounding the streets for an hour or so and it is this which I believe has a negative impact on their overall goals which is usually weight loss (or more accurately fat loss). They are in effect lowering their RMR due to the muscle loss, after a month of running they pack in, revert back to their standard eating pattern (only now with less muscle, and lower RMR) and they bounce above their initial starting weight( and fat level).

My overall point is that for those wanting fat loss you do not have to do cardio vascular stuff (it's the part of training a lot of people do not like and get put off by) so people should not feel obliged to do it. Instead get a good weight program and do it 4 times a week along with 6 small meals a day aiming for around 200g of protein over the course of the day.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Can you give an indication of how exactly (or even roughly)many calories please?.
    Every little helps though.
    Not really an answer to how many calories you estimate someone would lose mate.

The image of pounding the streets is an unnecessary and slightly old fashioned view of the real situation as the cardiovascular or aerobic training can be performed on a cross trainer, on an eliptical trainer, jogging, running machine, rowing or cycling to name a few, all of which can be gym or indoors based, even in the comfort of your own front room with the tv or some music on.

If people are looking for an excuse to quit they will find one, this theory certainly isn't reason enough to not do the cardio.

I get the impression that you probably do a lot of weights and have done for a long time but do not enjoy cardio and probably never do it. You may be in good shape appearance wise, know how to discipiline your diet and even have pretty good fitness levels too. I am well aware that studies have show that there is a possibilty that weight training could be as good for you are doing cardio vascular and aerobic exercise in terms of fat loss. See the thread I posted here on the subject: http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=333479 I wear my heart rate monitor when doing weights and know the high levels that my HR can reach when bench-pressing or performing say clean & press.

But based on my knowledge and experience, I feel your discounting cardiovascular and aerobic training as part of a weight loss programme is far wide of the mark.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast