Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help 5.1 surround help

Ok guys i know surround sounds, some need an external amp and some have an amp built in, thats about as far as my knowledge goes im afraid.

i told my mate to buy this one as the description said it has a built in amplifier

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...+SOLUTIONS.htm

so he buys it, now he says he cant get 5.1 sound from it and only 2.1, he said at the back there are sockets for like front left front right, back left back right etc, but on his LCD tv there isnt any matching sockets to plug them all in to, so im thinkin the description of built in amp is bollox.

can anyone with more knowlege than me (LOL) please shed some light on this for me, does he need another amp, and if so why does it say built in amp in the description of the product.

forgive my ignorence guys but as i said i dont really know about all this so any info and help to get him 5.1 would be really appreciated, as i am thinkin of gettin those myself coz i love the long thin speakers.

cheers guys heres hopin

Thanx
    Freaky

oh i am awaiting a pic of the back of the unit from him if that will help anyone??
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see.
    One chance out between two worlds. Fire Walk With Me.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Re: 5.1 surround help

You will find it very very hard , if not impossible , to find a tv / lcd / plasma that has 5.1 outputs on the back of it. The screen is there for the picture only cos they usually have shitty speakers attatched to theside of it.

You will need to route all the audio outputs ( sky / satellite / cable tv / consoles) through the amplifier via there own seperate inputs (preferably taking a 5.1 input into each , via optical or coaxial cables).

That Acoustic Solutions link you have put up only has a stereo input so you will only get Dolby Pro Logic / Pro Logic II. So your stereo "inputs" will be matrixed to either 4.0 (pro Logic) or 5.1 (Pro Logic II).

Ideally you want an AV amp with seperate inputs for each seperate piece of audio equipment.

Dolby Pro Logic

Dolby Surround/Pro Logic is based on basic matrix technology. When a Dolby Surround soundtrack is created, four channels of sound are matrix-encoded into an ordinary stereo (two channel) sound track by using phase shift techniques. A Pro Logic decoder/processor "unfolds" the sound into the original 4.0 surround—left and right, center, and a single limited frequency-range mono rear channel—while systems lacking the decoder play back the audio as standard Stereo.

Although Dolby Surround was introduced as an analog format, all Dolby Digital decoders incorporate a digitally implemented Dolby Surround Pro Logic decoder for digital stereo signals that carry matrix-encoded Dolby Surround.

Dolby Pro Logic II

In 2000, Dolby introduced Dolby Pro Logic II (DPL II), an improved implementation of Dolby Pro Logic. DPL II processes any high quality stereo signal source into "5.1"—five separate full frequency channels (left, center, right, left surround and right surround) plus one low-frequency-effects (deep bass) channel. Dolby Pro Logic II also decodes 5.1 channels from stereo signals encoded in traditional four-channel Dolby Surround. DPL II implements greatly enhanced steering compared to DPL, and as a result, offers an exceptionally stable sound field that simulates 5.1 channel surround sound to a much more accurate degree than the original Pro Logic.

Because of the limited nature of the original DPL, many consumer electronics manufactures introduced their own processing circuitry, such as the "Jazz", "Hall", and "Stadium" modes found on most common home audio receivers. DPL II forgoes this type of processing and replaces it with simple servo (negative feedback) circuits used to derive five channels. In addition to five full range playback channels, Pro Logic II introduced a Music mode which would not add any processing to the left and right channels, but will still extract a center channel and two surround channels, providing a net effect of a wider center channel.

The Pro Logic II system also features a mode designed specifically for video gaming, and it is frequently used in game titles for Sony's PlayStation 2, Nintendo's GameCube and Wii as an alternative to digital technologies like Dolby Digital, LPCM or DTS.

P.S. I wouldnt of recommended Acoustic Solutions tbh , the "everything in one box" solution never works.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 5.1 surround help

well now im confused even more lol, so he aint gonna get 5.1 from them speakers at alll???

wot if he bought an amp with millions of inputs at the back would he get 5.1 from them speakers then, ideally he didnt wanna have to buy an amp, he only bought them coz i told him to and i only did coz it said buiilt in amp, lol trust me.

heres a pic of the back of the amp, so all the front left front right etc and all the rest, youll never get a dvd player with all them on the back will ya, there is this one but it only has a few on the far right

Last edited by Freaky; 9th July 2008 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

wtf post came up twice

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Freaky View Post
    well now im confused even more lol, so he aint gonna get 5.1 from them speakers at alll???
    If you are only putting a stereo source in to the amp (which is all a TV will ever give you), then you will only get a stereo source out.

Those "all in one" jobbies" will play 5.1, but only from the DVD player......anything else will be 2 channel stereo.

PS

The pic has just shown up.....I doubt very much you will find a DVD player that uses analogue outputs for the 5.1 (which is what that amp needs).
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

Thanks
    Karma Level

right im gettin that now, so do ANY dvd players actually have ALL those sockets, ive edited my post above and put in a pic of a dvd player that says it has 5.1 decoder built in, but only 4 sockets (far right) jesus i should have just left him to it lol ME givin him advice about this lmao

cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

OK, here we go......

CEN on the DVD player goes to C on the amp
    SUB on the DVD player goes to W on the amp
    SL on the DVD player goes to RL on the amp
    SR on the DVD player goes to RR on the amp
    AUDIO LEFT on the DVD player goes to FL on the amp
    AUDIO RIGHT on the DVD player goes to FR on the amp

All connections are made using standard RCA phono leads.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

Thanks
    Karma Level

wow wicked, and that will get him his 5.1

fuckin hell nice one m8 thanks a lot he will be over the moon

here is the amp i was gonna get myself

and a pic of the back

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: 5.1 surround help

Freaky , I upgraded from yamaha HTR-5550RDS to a Denon AVR3808 last year , you can have my old yam if you like (just name a price). Will need to be picked up tho as it weighs the same as too small children .. lol

Has no box , but comes with remote and manual

The pics above are nearly identical to the 5550RDS , but i couldnt find the exact model

Thanks
    Karma Level

pm me with a price m8, i cant name one can i as im not selling

so pm me lets know how mucch u want m8, prob out my pricce range tho lol looks very expensive

cheers
    Last edited by Freaky; 10th July 2008 at 03:34 AM.