Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

respect Cuba lowers reform expectations

Cuba lowers reform expectations

Cubans will not reap economic rewards anytime soon, Raul Castro warned.

President Raul Castro has given his most sombre assessment of Cuba's economic situation since he succeeded his brother Fidel in February.
    In a televised address before the assembly, Mr Castro said he would have to lift restrictions on salaries more slowly than anticipated.
    He said key reforms could be affected by global rises in food and oil prices.
    Raul Castro, 77, has raised hopes for change by taking steps to modernise Cuba's ailing state-run economy.
    Reforms have included removing salary caps to boost incentives for workers, and decentralising of agriculture to increase food production.
    But in his address, Mr Castro said quick action in raising salaries may not be possible.
    He said: "It will depend on the economic situation of the country, inevitably linked to crisis in the world today, which could worsen.
    "It wouldn't be ethical to create false expectations." Raul Castro sat beside an empty seat reserved for the former president, who has not been seen in public since undergoing emergency surgery nearly two years ago.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7503099.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cuba lowers reform expectations

I really respect this guy for his honesty and attempts to change things for the better.

I don't think though that he can really achieve anything of real significance whilst still mainting his brother's ethos.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.