Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Vista RegCure warning!!

Just to warn some Vista users. I have been using RegCure for a long time both on my computers and peoples who's computers I clean up for them. This has always been on XP and it seems to do a good job.

However yesturday I ran it on my Vista x64 OS and it found about 19000 problems, I thought that was a insanely high amount seeing as I look after my computer but put it down to recently formatted large HDs that are currently empty. So I let it clean it all up and rebooted to discover that almost all my desktop icons were gone and my appearence settings were all changed.

Then I found almost everything on the computer was fucked! So I opened RegCure, and used the restore point, then rebooted... no change. At this point I was gettin worried, booted to safe mode and loaded system restore and got a 0x81000202 error 'The Volume Shadow Copy service used by System Restore is not working'. Booted to safe mode CMD same problem.

I then went to bed rather annoyed. Tonight I will go into services and check that VSC is actually running then try the restore again. But for a software that claims Vista x64 compatibility this is shocking. Will stick to Reg Mechanic or CCleaner in the future.

BTW this is no isolated incident, after searching google a lot of people had to reformat

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Vista RegCure warning!!

Good to know another one to add to the Vista weird issues pile .

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the info. I use regcure every weekend on my XP system to "clean" up odds and sods and it hasnt made any crappups like yours on vista. another reason NOT to get Vista i guess

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

never used it, thankfully!

Does crap cleaner's reg cleaner do a good job?

Thanks
    Karma Level

The reason this happened is because these types of programs were orginally intended for XP, not Vista, and on top of that a lot of them were meant for 32-bit operating systems, not 64-bit!

I use programs like that on my XP installation as well, but wouldn't dream of putting it onto the Vista Ultimate 64-bit machine running downstairs.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by HermaN View Post
    The reason this happened is because these types of programs were orginally intended for XP, not Vista, and on top of that a lot of them were meant for 32-bit operating systems, not 64-bit!

I use programs like that on my XP installation as well, but wouldn't dream of putting it onto the Vista Ultimate 64-bit machine running downstairs.
    What I don't understand is how they can claim on the official site it is Vista x64 compatible when they obviously havn't even tested it!

Anyway I have learnt the hard way, won't be repeating the mistake if I manage to fix it. If not I will be mega pissed seeing as my system still isn't back to what it was before my last format a few weeks ago.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    What I don't understand is how they can claim on the official site it is Vista x64 compatible when they obviously havn't even tested it!
    Where does it say they have tested it with Vista x64? I cant see anything that says what OS it supports.

Thanks
    Karma Level

fyi regcure is a really awful tool

Thanks
    Karma Level

most regtools are wank and should be redundant as long as u look after the OS.

this OS has now been installed for over 3 years with over 130 apps kicking about the hdd, think ive prolly only ever looked at the reg 2 or 3 times for the odd tweak... you shouldnt need to touch it unless you are installing/removing crapware all the time.

all these cure/helper/cleaner apps are all just scareware.. most of the things they class as "problems" barely make a fuckin jot of difference in my experience. just bin em.. use common sense.

Thanks
    Karma Level

fact.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I know they make 'problems' out to be terrible when they are really usually redundant 0byte files, but isn't it better for performance to remove these files (if there are masses of them) or as they are 0bytes do they literally make no difference to performance even in their thousands?

Also looks like they pulled the OS compatibility from their site or it may have been on another distribution site.

I chose regcure because a NFO said use it before you install the particular app if you had a previous version installed

Anyway an update, I couldn't manually operate the service because the file was not found, so I used my vista x64 disc with the intention to repair the system files then restore. However the disc had the restore function on it so I restored using that and it worked a treat.