Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LilacHarryQuinn

Default LilacHarryQuinn Progress Journal

Background

I started this on March 17th 2008 with the aims of eating healthier, being healthier and getting back into some exercise after having about 12 months with little exercise (apart from a half-marathon in the October - for a good few years i've been a fat runner type).

Wednesday 23/07/08 (times and quantities are roughly correct)

06:45
    50g Porridge made with 300ml liquid (half water, half semi-skimmed)

12:15
    Bagel (no butter) , 1/2 tin tuna (drained/rinsed) mixed with olive oil
    Handful of cherry tomatoes

18:10
    Vegetable pasta bake (homemade including sauce, 50g wholewheat pasta, sprinkle of cheese)
    2 grilled chicken breasts
    Small piece of cake

21:40 (post workout)
    300g light cottage cheese
    1 1/2 tins tuna (drained/rinsed) mixed with olive oil

Snacks
    2 apples, 2 small bananas, tangerine, pear

Notes
    More calories than normal today although not too many, kids had been baking so had to try their cake.

Workout

Dumbell bent over one-armed row
    32kg dumbell
    5 , 5 , 5 , 5 , 4 (failed on the last, could have done with bad form but no point to that)

Dumbell upright row
    22kg dumbells
    5 , 5 , 5 , 5 , 5

Alternating dumbell curl
    18kg dumbells
    5 , 5 , 5 , 5 , 5
    (1st set done with 19.5 due to some bad adding up on my part)
    (3rd set done as hammer curls for variety)

Chair Dips
    50 , 50 , 50 , 50, 50

8 minute abs workout (as video I posted in another thread)

Notes
    I've been doing a 5x5 type of routine for a few weeks now, although over the past 2 weeks i've been mixing this up by altering the reps and sets just as an experiment after reading about "undulating periodicity". Tonight I upped the weight on the rows and dropped the weight on the curls as I haven't been over happy with form using 19.5kg. All 5 sets of each exercise are performed consecutively with a 1 - 1 1/2 minute gap between sets. Could feel the weight increase on the 1st 2 exercises and with a failure on one will keep same weights for next time.

One of the problems of not going to the gym and having to use your own kit is the steps you have to take and also the limits you hit. Tonight I had to go up from 28kg to 32kg on the bent over rows which is a bigger step than I would normally take (i'm trying to do this gradually and am not interested in rushing to get results). Also 32kg is the maximum I have at home so I will need to get more weight or longer bars (I have one I had from years ago that is longer than my York ones so they must exist).
    Last edited by LilacHarryQuinn; 24th July 2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Forgot the chair dips

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: LilacHarryQuinn Progress Journal

The 5x5 are well known as a hypertrophic type of routine, i guess part of the theory is that you can really push heavy before the muscle fatigue sets in and you reach failure point.

how long did the routine take you out of interest ? (i ask as i want to reduce the time i spend but still want to feel as though ive achieved something).

More calories than normal today although not too many, kids had been baking so had to try their cake.
    no loving Dad could ever refuse that (just hope they dont bake every day)

Looking good mate

LilacHarryQuinn

I would guess the whole thing including stretch before, abs, stretch after is maybe 45 mins, but on Friday I will time it a bit more accurately for you - it's definitely less than an hour in total, and it has to be because some nights I don't get to start until 9pm ish.

LilacHarryQuinn

Thursday 24/07/08 (times and quantities are roughly correct)

2 slices white bread(no butter) , 1/2 tin tuna (drained/rinsed) mixed with olive oil

Homemade chicken casserole (2 chicken breasts, 50g split yellow peas, tomatoes, onion, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, green beans, broccoli, sugar snap peas, spinach)

2 large glasses wine

Snacks
    3 apples, 2 small bananas, tangerine, pear

Workout
    Rest day so just 8 minute abs workout (as video I posted in another thread)

Notes
    A few things possibly worth mentioning, some I overlooked yesterday and one new one from last night.
    Mon-Fri I usually walk between 20-50 minutes around dinnertime, I don't record this though as I'm not doing it for any exercise reasons I do it to get out of work for a bit.

I keep saying "homemade" not for any "ooo look at me and what an ace cook I am" reasons because i'm not, it's just so you realise that I don't use any jars because a lot have too much fat in them and because it takes things a bit out of your control. My approach to cooking is this :
    walk to fridge and see what veg is in there
    throw all the veg, some chicken, some source of carb, a tin of tomatoes, some water, salt and pepper into a pan and let it cook for a bit, and this means I usually end up with a plate of food twice the size of any tea I would have eaten in the past.

Again, like keeping a journal, I think it helps to reinforce the idea that you are actively doing something and taking into account what you are shovelling into your mouth. I've been eating a couple of pieces of fruit extra a day this week, not for health reasons, just because I've been hungry.

Last thing, the wine. Under normal circumstances it would have been a full bottle but I wasn't really arsed last night and my wife was a bit thirsty so I gave the rest to her. I've mentioned it before but my the reality is i'm not trying to be a superfit professional athlete, and even though I didn't mind giving up things I love like potatoes, bread, crisps, snacks, as things stand I don't want to give up my alcohol. I drink at home, don't get pissed because I don't really want my kids seeing me like that, but on average I reckon I still have maybe 2-3 bottles of wine a week (or possibly 6-12 cans). I would guess it will hinder getting a low body fat although I don't know how much. Using my eyes and the piccys in one of the stickies Roach has posted up I would guess my body fat is around 22-24%, which is obviously never going to make for a 6-pack.

LilacHarryQuinn

Friday 25/07/08 (times and quantities are roughly correct)

1/2 tin tuna (drained/rinsed) mixed with olive oil
    Large fruit salad (melon, raisins, grapes, handful of cashew nuts)

2 chicken breasts, 50g couscous, salad

half bottle of wine

21:15 Post workout
    tin tuna drained, rinsed, mixed with olive oil

Snacks
    2 apples, 2 small bananas, tangerine

Workout
    Back to 5x5 for what passes as my push day
    Each exercise all sets done consecutively, 60-90 secs between sets

DB Bench Press
    25.5kg DB - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

DB Seated Shoulder Press
    17kg DB - 3, 3, 4, 4, 4

DB One Armed Tricep Extension
    17kg DB - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Pressups
    20, 20, 20, 18, 20

8 minute abs workout (as video I posted in another thread)

Notes
    I find push days much harder than pull, and with me alternating push/pull with no legs at the moment that means it comes around every couple of days !

Increase in weight for Bench tonight and could feel it, best set was the fourth, some of the others were real stick-biting affairs.

Increase in weight for the Shoulder tonight. I've failed before at 18 and 17 with these and without a doubt find them the hardest thing to do (15.5 I can do but the next step with my kit has to be 17). I know received wisdom says your shoulders will fail first (all things being equal) or at least things i've read have said that, and it's definitely true for me. Was pissed off with 3s on the first 2 sets so really really had to try to squeeze the 4s out for the next 3 sets and that possibly had some knock-on to the next exercise. I've committed myself to keeping with the 17 for the next few sets at least because sooner or later i'm going to nail the fcukers.

For the past few 5x5 i've been using 19.5kg DB for my tricep extensions, keeping the same weight and each workout trying to get the weight lower and lower , and doing pretty well. Came to tonight, lifted 19.5 above my head, started a rep and knew I would be in danger of dropping it through my skull if I carried on ! Normally I don't change weights through an exercise but this was at the start and for safety I dropped to the 17kg, which still felt heavy tonight.

Think it's a more interesting journal entry tonight because it shows failure, and with it coming every other day it would easy to get disappointed and demotivated and maybe lower the weights dramatically just for a bit of success. The way I look at these nights is that this is where you earn your money so to speak because you are having to dig deep to not complete the sets and it's more testing and challenging than pissing it every workout.

Forgot to mention, stretch in, workout, stretch out, abs was 55 minutes tonight.
    Last edited by LilacHarryQuinn; 26th July 2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: forgot timings for zippey

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by LilacHarryQuinn View Post
    because sooner or later i'm going to nail the fcukers.
    Mate i laughed when i read that ! That is exactly my kind of expression, i kinda heard myself say it at the same time

The way I look at these nights is that this is where you earn your money so to speak because you are having to dig deep to not complete the sets and it's more testing and challenging than pissing it every workout.
    That is exactly what makes people succeed imo. The 'oh fuck its heavy', 'oh im getting weak', 'oh i worked late so missed the gym' attitudes are for those who join a gym and end up paying the direct debit without going.... gritted teeth and persistence are what get you through.

Forgot to mention, stretch in, workout, stretch out, abs was 55 minutes tonight.
    cheers for that Harry

LilacHarryQuinn

Saturday 26/07/08 (times and quantities are roughly correct)

06:30

10:30
    Large fruit salad (grapes, raisins, melon, handful of cashews)

12:30
    3 egg omelette (2 large, 1 medium) with peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes

17:10
    1 1/2 chicken breasts, 100g cottage cheese, baked sweet potato, salad

half bottle of wine, 3 cans of Strongbow

Snacks
    1apples, 1 small bananas, Smarties ice cream

Workout
    6 1/2 mile run

Notes
    Ran at 7.30am, always like to try to get out as early as possible because there is less traffic, it's cooler, and it gives me a full day for normal family stuff.

LilacHarryQuinn

Sunday 27/07/08 (times and quantities are roughly correct)

07:00

12:00
    1/2 melon

17:30
    1 chicken breast stir-fried in olive oil with a splash of soy sauce with spinach, pepper, spring onion, mushrooms, broccoli, sugar snap peas, green beans, tomatoes

bottle of wine, 1 can of Strongbow

Snacks
    1 apple, 1 small banana

Workout
    6 1/2 mile run (same route as yesterday but opposite way round, it evens up the effects of the camber on your legs then)

Notes
    Ran at 8.00am, knee felt ok, as at monday morning my legs know they've been running !

2 weeks off alcohol as from today, too many pointless empty calories over the last few days.

Thanks
    Karma Level

2 weeks off alcohol as from today, too many pointless empty calories over the last few days.
    Now that is serious !

Thanks
    Karma Level

2 weeks off the booze must make quite a difference, keep it up fella.

LilacHarryQuinn

Monday 28/07/08 (times and quantities are roughly correct)

18:20
    2 chicken breasts, stir-fried in olive oil with a splash of soy sauce with spinach, pepper, spring onion, mushrooms, broccoli, sugar snap peas, green beans, celery

21:20 post workout

Snacks
    2 apples, banana, tangerine, pear

Workout

DB one-arm bent over row
    32kg DBs - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

DB upright row
    22kg DBs - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

DB alternate curls
    18kg DBs - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Bench/chair dips
    60, 60, 50, 50, 60

8 minute abs routine

As usual all 5 sets for each exercise were done consecutively, 60-90 seconds break between set

Notes
    Same weight as last pull day and will keep the same for 1 or possibly 2 more sessions.

Was extremely tired going into it but had a real good workout, was pleased with the effort.

I've not added it up, but I would guess some people might think I was light on calories. I'm considering having a full week of just fruit between breakfast and tea, just as an experiment really to see how my energy levels go and how it affects any workouts (especially towards the end of the week). It will be something a bit different for my body as well, and I like to try things and mix things up just so my system doesn't settle too much. I don't know if the experts would say that's a good idea or not but it adds a bit more interest for me, and a big part of this for me is about learning and trying different approaches.

LilacHarryQuinn

Tuesday 29/07/08 (times and quantities are roughly correct)

2 chicken breasts, salad, tablespoon of Branston

Snacks
    2 apples, banana, pear, nectarine, tangerine

Workout
    Rest day so just 8 minute abs workout (as video I posted in another thread)

Notes
    Nothing to add today

Thanks
    Karma Level

Every time i read yours i kick myself to but more fruit. Useful (even if it makes me feel guilty)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Why are you going for such long periods without food intake?

LilacHarryQuinn

As I mentioned in Monday's journal, 5 days low calorie, low carb, getting about 400cals from fruit between breakfast and tea, mainly as an experiment (i'll still be taking 300g cottage cheese and a tin of tuna post workouts as on Monday, tonight, and Friday). Normal patterns will be resumed on Saturday (below maintenance still in theory).

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

So what time are you training then? before or after dinner?

LilacHarryQuinn

I train at around let's say 20.30, so I will eat my tea at 18:10, train at 20:30, take the protein in about 21:30 (I've switched to the 24-hour clock because I think your dinner is my tea, and my dinner is your lunch).

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I train at around let's say 20.30, so I will eat my tea at 18:10, train at 20:30, take the protein in about 21:30 (I've switched to the 24-hour clock because I think your dinner is my tea, and my dinner is your lunch).

Bloody Northeners!

So you are going around 12 hours throughout the day without consuming anything? You must getting very low on energy as the day wears on mate?

LilacHarryQuinn

The fruit and vast quantities of water have been seeing me through until around I would say 16:30-17:00, and I'll be honest with you and say that when I get in I am more than ready for my tea. That said, normally I would only be having something like 1/2 tin tuna and 2 slices of bread and some nuts at dinnertime so it's not a massive drop in calories and protein druing the day, it's more the carbs with my tea I am missing. I wouldn't try this for more than 5 days, but it's just a bit of an experiment (which I would cut short if I started noticeably losing concentration or getting too tired etc).

Tonight will be interesting because it's my "push" night at weights I would fail at anyway (see last Friday's journal).

As an aside, I'm estimating by around the start of October I will be thinking about switching from this below-maintenance type of approach (which I've not found to be much of a problem foodwise really) to a higher-than-maintenance approach to add some lean muscle mass and it's that that i'm really not looking forward to at the minute.
    Last edited by LilacHarryQuinn; 30th July 2008 at 03:52 PM.

LilacHarryQuinn

Wednesday 31/07/08 (times and quantities are roughly correct)

18:40
    2 chicken breasts, salad, branston

21:20 post workout

Snacks
    2 apples, banana, 2 tangerines, pear

Workout

DB bench press
    25.5kg DBs - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

DB seated shoulder press
    17kg DBs - 5, 3, 3, 4, 3

DB one arm tricep extensions
    18kg DBs - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Pressups
    20, 20, 20, 20, 20

8 minute abs routine

As usual all 5 sets for each exercise were done consecutively, 60-90 seconds break between set.
    Just to clear something up, when I say 25.5kg DBs it's 25.5kg on both DBs not split over 2.

Notes
    Had to really squeeze the last rep of set 5 out for the bench press, but this weight felt a lot better today than it did last friday.

Realised last night that all the failures on the shoulder press were down to my left side (I could push the right one up on it's own with little problem). About 20 years ago I used to do some training using a barbell and it became evident that I was getting away with some lifts by relying on the stronger right arm to get passed the "critical point" and then the left arm plays catch up. I can't get away with that using DBs and so (for me anyway!) it's interesting to see how the choice of kit is playing it's part much more than I thought it would. I've never used a machine, do you see a similar sort of thing happening there ?

Upped the weight on the triceps to 18kg from last time's 17kg but didn't go back up to 19.5kg, and I think that was the right choice. Some good sets but wasn't totally happy with how low I was letting the weight go on the 5th set, wasn't bad enough for me to count them as fails but I would have failed a 6th set I think.

Pressups were ok, they're a bastard of an exercise but you feel better for them. Should be going lower on them and will make that one of my targets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast