Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help How do i connect a WAN port to my router

Ok, i have got a freecom HD drive with 4 LAN ports (looking to assign to my consoles) and one WAN port.

I seem to be struggling connecting and making everything see the freecom when i plug in the WAN port.

If i plug in the LAN port to my router, any PC on the network can see it and access it, but this is not what i want.

I would liek the WAN port to go into my router,m thus sharing/using the internet connection for my attached consoles.

I can see the WAN flashing occasionally, but is i ping it, i get nothing.

in short

Q1 - how do i go about setting up the wan port
    Q2 - do i need to do port forwarding for devices connected into freecom then through router (if already done on the router (or do they need to be done on both (the freecom does have port forwarding)))
    Q3 - PC access from router thorugh to freecom (2pc's on router network)
    Q4 - can i set up the need for log in when outside the "flat" so each PC/console is known to the freecom importantly consoles
    Q5 - FTP set up, generally how (i can test this but slightly confused how to do this securly)

If anyone can help or point me in a decent picture tutorial direction that woudl be great. I have found a few wiki things and other info, but it seems to make no sense.

Cheers.....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How do i connect a WAN port to my router

wan ports are designed for connecting adsl modems not routers. i had a couple of linksys vpn routers that needed external modems connecting via a wan port... you'd need to get something like this:

hxxp://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=6349

for some reason i remember connecting something to it via a crossover cable... and then mucking about with routing tables to get it routing to a different subnet on our lan... try a crossover cable to your router... it *might* work if it's clever...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks, clearly this port is not what i thought or need. As i have a router i am happy to leave it. I will test it out using other means for now and the Wii can remain wireless.

There seems to be a dedicated forum fro this product, but thats a good start for what might be many stupid questions.

Cheers.....Q

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

WAN = Wide Area Network
    LAN = Local Area Network

Having said that I'm pretty sure these drives run linux, so if you that way inclined you could re-assign the WAN port using iptables
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    WAN = Wide Area Network
    LAN = Local Area Network

Having said that I'm pretty sure these drives run linux, so if you that way inclined you could re-assign the WAN port using iptables
    Whiel i knew what WAN and LAN stood for, i clearly did not know thier greater meaning. I dont think i am the kind of person up to the job of reassigning. However i have a friend who is Linux able, so thats good to know.

Cheers....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Q, do you need all 4 LAN ports for devices? If not, just run your router into one of the LAN ports and your console's off the other LAN ports. The switch will act as a passthrough and wont need any clever routing at all. Just ensure your end devices have the default gateway set as the WAN router address.
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neo2810 View Post
    Q, do you need all 4 LAN ports for devices? If not, just run your router into one of the LAN ports and your console's off the other LAN ports. The switch will act as a passthrough and wont need any clever routing at all. Just ensure your end devices have the default gateway set as the WAN router address.
    Cheers, this is the tact i am takign now.

I am using LAN port 4 to the router and the other three fo the consoles. SO far i have only tried the PS3 and it is working thorugh this. I knwo my XboX will need some configuring, never connected the 360. It was bought to be a media server so this shoudl infact do away with the XboX needing any type of connection.

The Wii can remain on my current wireless router as it is all configured.

It would have been nice to have a spare i guess but a bit overkill, at least this stops me from needing to change connections back at the route.

Cheers......Q