Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Are there many Linux users here?

Just wondered how many and what you using?

I'm using Slackware on what would otherwise be a redundant low spec lappy. I love the CLI as it takes me back to why I got interested in PC's in the first place with DOS and gives me a decent low level amount of control of the OS.

I'm still learning a lot, but that's what I enjoy about it... something newish to play with
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Are there many Linux users here?

Ubuntu x64 at work
    Xunbtu on my oldish laptop
    MCNLive for my usb key
    Vista at home.

LilacHarryQuinn

At home Ubuntu on one laptop, Vector on two older ones, and I think i've even got CAOS on an old one as well.

At work well it's windows almost all the way apart from a couple of Ubuntu LAMP servers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got a dual-booted Ubuntu and XP build at home. I rarely use windows (Just a couple of things I can't do with Ubuntu, but that's probably lazines on my part).

Mainly use it because it's so much quicker. Switch on to useable browser take 5 mins with XP and 45secs with Ubuntu. Love that most software is free with tones of support from forums. Never planning to go any further with windows.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What do people recommend for noobs? I've installed Ubuntu Ultimate on my work Laptop and plan to start a thread about it. I've always given up on it when I can't get stuff to work so this time plan to make a list of stuff that I want to be able to do and learn it this time rather than just rebuild it.

If there is something that will teach me the basics a little better than i'm willing to give it a try

Thanks
    Karma Level

well tell us what exactly what you can't get working and will have a go at helping out?!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liaeb View Post
    well tell us what exactly what you can't get working and will have a go at helping out?!
    I shall do buddy but need to find some time to crack on with it. Too busy at the mo to spend more than 30 mins with it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I run Ubuntu 8.04 on 2 laptops and 3 desktops.

I use Ubuntu 8.04 at work.

I have Xubuntu on an old laptop for sofa surfing.

My 3 year old has Edubuntu on and old laptop for playing the educational games and browsing the Cbeebies website.

I run Ubuntu 8.04 Server at home and one at work for LAMP.

We use Smoothwall Corporate Firewall at work.

We are currently trailing Novell SuSe at work with a view from migrating from Novell Open Enterprise 6.5

I've got Puppy and DSL on a couple of old laptops and Desktops for messing around with.

I'm in the process of doing up some install guides for all the above, and will happily post them up here if anybody is interested.

Lots of cool stuff and scripts to get things to install easily will be included.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chesser View Post
    bollocks Linux dirty bastards!
    If you have nothing constructive to add why bother posting?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    I run Ubuntu 8.04 on 2 laptops and 3 desktops.

I use Ubuntu 8.04 at work.

I have Xubuntu on an old laptop for sofa surfing.

My 3 year old has Edubuntu on and old laptop for playing the educational games and browsing the Cbeebies website.

I run Ubuntu 8.04 Server at home and one at work for LAMP.

We use Smoothwall Corporate Firewall at work.

We are currently trailing Novell SuSe at work with a view from migrating from Novell Open Enterprise 6.5

I've got Puppy and DSL on a couple of old laptops and Desktops for messing around with.

I'm in the process of doing up some install guides for all the above, and will happily post them up here if anybody is interested.

Lots of cool stuff and scripts to get things to install easily will be included.
    Yes please buddy Any info would be good.

Do you recon i should stick with Ubuntu ultimate with most things pre-installed or is it better to start from scratch with the basic ubuntu?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Depends if you want to learn mate or indeed have some spare time I personally run the basic and try to learn when I get free time.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    Yes please buddy Any info would be good.

Do you recon i should stick with Ubuntu ultimate with most things pre-installed or is it better to start from scratch with the basic ubuntu?
    From my point of view I would start with the base system and tailor it to my needs.

If you let me know the sort of things you would like to be able to do under Ubuntu, e.g. Video Editing, Video Conversion, Picture editing, setting up VirtualBox, activating media codecs etc then I can gear the guides around that for you.

I've written plenty of scripts to make installing software easier, and they are always worth looking at and playing around with as it will give you a great understanding of how the CLI works.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    From my point of view I would start with the base system and tailor it to my needs.

If you let me know the sort of things you would like to be able to do under Ubuntu, e.g. Video Editing, Video Conversion, Picture editing, setting up VirtualBox, activating media codecs etc then I can gear the guides around that for you.

I've written plenty of scripts to make installing software easier, and they are always worth looking at and playing around with as it will give you a great understanding of how the CLI works.
    I don't really need it to do much. It'll need office, uTorrent or similar, firefox for the mrs with all the flash plugins etc to make facebook work, a file share that is accessible from my windows PC and vice verse and some photo editing. Depending on which PC i put it on I would need it to play MKV files.

Plus when I last put it on my PC I had a couple of issues with it such as the resolution wouldn't change to the native resolution of my LCD TV. And I couldn't figure out how to access the ubuntu equivelent of Device Manager to check drivers, task manager and run command.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't really need it to do much. It'll need office, uTorrent or similar, firefox for the mrs with all the flash plugins etc to make facebook work, a file share that is accessible from my windows PC and vice verse and some photo editing. Depending on which PC i put it on I would need it to play MKV files.

Plus when I last put it on my PC I had a couple of issues with it such as the resolution wouldn't change to the native resolution of my LCD TV. And I couldn't figure out how to access the ubuntu equivelent of Device Manager to check drivers, task manager and run command.
    Right mate that all sounds pretty straight forward.

I'll get started on this today, and will chuck in some info on changing desktop appearance and stuff like that as well.

Few pictures of my desktops:

Spoiler:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The last one looks fapping ace If I could get it looking like that then i'd be well chuffed. Will practice on my work laptop before ruining my PC at home lol

I'll download Ubuntu 8.04 now and get it installed. I normally just use the default partitions when i'm installing so im guessing thats OK?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The last one looks fapping ace If I could get it looking like that then i'd be well chuffed. Will practice on my work laptop before ruining my PC at home lol

I'll download Ubuntu 8.04 now and get it installed. I normally just use the default partitions when i'm installing so im guessing thats OK?
    Will you be dual booting?

Either way the Ubuntu installer usually does a pretty good job with it's suggestions, only thing I would say is if you are dual booting you may want to adjust the partitions sizes it recommends.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

No won't bother dual booting, i don't want to give me the easy way out and boot to XP I want to make it so I have to use ubuntu and actually fix any issues instead of just giving up.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

No won't bother dual booting, i don't want to give me the easy way out and boot to XP I want to make it so I have to use ubuntu and actually fix any issues instead of just giving up.
    Good attitude!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Windows XP Pro SP3 on my lappy (came with Vista Business, but I hated it)

Ubuntu 7.10 on a low spec desktop

Vista Ultimate x64 on the downstairs machine (my mums machine and she wanted Vista....actually runs well on that machine tho)

Vista Home Premium on my mums lappy.

Just recently ordered a 320GB Western Digital HDD and bluetooth mouse/keyboard so I can install Ubuntu 7.10 on my PS3 (7.10 is the newest supported version for PS3).

Thanks
    Karma Level

11 years running debian (the ubuntu base system) and now just solely using ubuntu on my media/server box where I run Dynamips etc so I can study part of my CCNP.

Always favoured linux over windows but I've got a strange fetish for vista...sick I know, but it's nifty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast