Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista.

Thanks
    Karma Level

moan Vista.

I purchased a vista computer and returned it, I went back to an XP i found it a lot better, I wont go back to vista unless i was forced to. i hate vista but that is only my opinion.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Vista.

a lot of people hate change... but in the end they get left behind...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Vista is slower and does cause many more anoyances, but iverall I've had no problems with Vista on one of my desktop boxes or my laptop - certainly it has crashed less than XP, but them its thrid part apps whihc crash XP for me...

Many consider vista to be another Windows Me - and I suppose it is in some ways, lets just see what Windows 7 brings

Thanks
    Karma Level

i agree i hate vista also , it seems just to be a stop gap untill they release 7,why fix something that aint broke lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes mate, Not for a long time yet, I know two or three that are still on windows 98 and are happy with it. I think the trouble is with me is that i am old and hate to learn vista as i am happy with XP. Just think how much hard drive vista uses, i made the recovery discs for it and it took three DVSs. with the XP it took only one, I do understand what you are saying but i will stick to XP as long as i can. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks
    Karma Level

on a low to medium end system vista sucks as it uses all resources just to browse the internet and constantly scan your hard drive. you need to tweak the Tits off vista to get it running any were near performance that XP has.

Vista on a really high end gaming system with loads of ram suppose Vista would be aright.

But till i can afford a decent system i am sticking with XP.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyRandom View Post
    on a low to medium end system vista sucks as it uses all resources just to browse the internet and constantly scan your hard drive. you need to tweak the Tits off vista to get it running any were near performance that XP has.

Vista on a really high end gaming system with loads of ram suppose Vista would be aright.

But till i can afford a decent system i am sticking with XP.
    the same is true with windows xp vs windows 98. windows 98 was offering 10-15fps better on games than xp. this argument always kicks up when a new OS is released. i have no doubt everyone will be singing vista's praises once windows 7 is realsed.

if the new filesystem that was dropped from vista makes it to windows 7 people are gonna hate it even more than vista...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lets all go back to Black and White TVs too its so much more fun watching snooker.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have Vista Ultimate 64-bit running on the main downstairs machine (2.4GHz Core2Duo, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 320GB HDD and an NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT). It works a charm, never had a single problem with it on that machine, apart from finding the odd driver here and there because its 64-bit.

My mum has Vista Home Premium 32-bit on her HP Lappy and its not all that great. Iv recommended she go down to XP, but she like Vista! Go figure!

When I got my lappy around xmas time (2.2GHz Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hybrid HDD and an NVIDIA 8400GS) it came with Vista Business 32-bit installed.

It ran quite well and the machine could cope, but then one day Vista crashed and everything on it got corrupt (that was within 2 weeks of buying the thing!), but luckily I had made a full backup 2 days earlier.

After a while I got fed up with Vista because most of my engineering programs (mainly OrCAD) just would not work with it and I needed to use them!

Luckily for me Sony had provided XP drivers on their site, so I have downgraded to XP and been using that ever since. Vista is good if you have a good enough machine to run it AND all your software works with it, other than that.....dont bother!

Vista will always come 2nd to XP until businesses and universities start to use it as standard. Until that happens, XP will be the dominant OS!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by HermaN View Post
    Vista will always come 2nd to XP until businesses and universities start to use it as standard. Until that happens, XP will be the dominant OS!
    it's already started with the release of vista sp1 matey. microsoft will change the licensing loophole which allows companies to sell computers with XP on and force people onto vista soon enough...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I plunged for the vita 64 ultimate on genine.. 96 quid not bad really and official havent looked back. works liek a charm. even with 1gb ddr

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    it's already started with the release of vista sp1 matey. microsoft will change the licensing loophole which allows companies to sell computers with XP on and force people onto vista soon enough...
    Companies selling machines with Vista is one thing and means fuck all. I'm talking about big corporations using Vista on their work machines.

Currently, pretty much all work computer running Windows use XP, and until they move over to Vista it will always come 2nd.

As soon as the majority of work computer start running Vista it will take off quick. Till then its nothing compared to XP.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got a media server running Vista Ultimate, it's been a pleasure. But my workstations all run XP Pro and I've no desire to change that any time soon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

moan Re: Vista.

The XP is as good as they get, Vista and anything else that comes along is only to make money. They win we loose every time.That is the way it has always been and always will be.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Companies selling machines with Vista is one thing and means fcuk all. I'm talking about big corporations using Vista on their work machines.

Currently, pretty much all work computer running Windows use XP, and until they move over to Vista it will always come 2nd.

As soon as the majority of work computer start running Vista it will take off quick. Till then its nothing compared to XP.
    that's only true for companies with a volume licensing agreement (250+). they have to purchase oem licenses that come with the machine. when it's no longer possible to purchase xp machines then companies will be forced too.

my point is now that vista sp1 has been released the upgrade of xp is now gonna be on th cards. no company that knows what they're doing upgrades until sp1 of any OS release. we're gonna be deploying vista to desktops within the next six months.

xp might be a better operating system for you as a home user but vista enterprise is a far better operating system for business. sharepoint integration is a big big plus, as is the bits caching, bit locker and the operating system deployment system designed for it in system center configuration manager makes zero touch deployment, os refreshes and system transfers makes desktop management SOOOOO much easier... plus it's a lot more stable when using software and drivers designed for vista.

vista rocks compared with xp in a coporate environment...
    Last edited by Mr.James; 7th August 2008 at 09:25 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I use Vista Enterprise on my PC at work, and used Ultimate at home for a short while too.

In the long run for my own PC I like to use Windows XP... It's the "Sharp" look that I prefer... everything on Vista is blurred like ClearType and I don't like that. (It can be disabled, but doesen't disable it altogether)

What to remember also, is when these new operating systems come out and people moan about how it uses so many system resources ... that is going to happen.

Vista uses so much more memory than XP ever did, but look how much memory has dropped in price over the past couple of years.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    vista rocks compared with xp in a coporate environment...
    Quite possibly, but Vista wastes resources like nothing else. XP was made of 35,000,000 lines of code and Vista is made of 50,000,000 lines of code.

Instead of starting fresh M$ just keep on adding code to what they already have which just makes the whole thing very resource hungry when it doesn't need to be.

Vista is good, dont get me wrong. As Iv said I have Vista Ultimate x64 running on the main PC, but if they had just started fresh instead of simply adding more and more lines of code what they already had, then it would have been much less resource hungry and also better over all.

Ubuntu is better than Vista, and its only a 2.5GB install which can run on almost anything. You dont need a dual core CPU with at least 2GB of RAM for Ubuntu, but to make use of Vista you need that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Instead of starting fresh M$ just keep on adding code to what they already have which just makes the whole thing very resource hungry when it doesn't need to be.
    it's impossible to start from scratch. we're at a point now that operating systems have to be backwards compatible to support legacy applications. changing the hardware/software too dramatically breaks these legacy apps. this is even shown in simple systems such as the xbox 360/xbox. expanding lines of code is what happens when you expand a feature set though... there's no getting away from it. people complain that vista's a hog but really? it's nothin £50 of ram won't fix.

we've still got a couple of pcs runnning windows 98 here at work. simply because we can't run some of our business critical apps on a 2000/xp/vista machine... we only just got rid of an access 2.0 database running on three windows 3.11 machines last year.

can't comment on ubuntu as i've not tried it but i'm not a big fan of nix operating systems. i've tried giving redhat and suse a go and supported a number of aix servers for a good few years. you'll prob think i'm a nut for the reason though... i like a minimalist operating system lol

all the flavours of linux i've seen come with 3 or 4 browsers, text editors, desktops, media players etc... i just want one desktop, one office application, one media player and one internet browser... killer factor is though that i have to support 300 windows operating systems and it a lot easier to support vista pcs from a vista os... xp from an xp os etc...

Thanks
    Karma Level

cant say i've had any problems with vista sure its annoying getting pestered with are you sure that you want to do this mesages but it does make you think a little more

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Talk about a old and dupe post This discussion has gone on, it's a love it or hate it, I love it apart from a few niggles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast