Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Walters: I Love Villa But Don't Understand Why Players Quit Rangers

MARK WALTERS insists Rangers are a bigger club than Aston Villa but admits Carlos Cuellar's switch from Ibrox to the Premiership outfit proves times have changed drastically.
    On New Year's Eve, 1987, Walters, left, moved in the opposite direction, quitting hometown team Villa for Glasgow after a call from Graeme Souness. His ability to beat defenders for fun with his trademark shuffle won him a place in the hearts of the fans and he was made an honorary member of the Rangers Supporters' Trust.
    He also has a love affair with Villa, having played more than 200 games for the club, and now coaches their under-14s.
    Walters swears the £7.8million capture of Cuellar will pay off big time for Martin O'Neill but he said: "In my day, moving from Rangers to Villa would be seen as a step down. I'm not sure whether that's the case now. It is changed days.
    "If you moved in the other direction, like I did, it was a definite step up.
    "I love Villa. They are a massive club and have an incredible support who are always there. But 20 years ago, there was only one decision I could have made when Graeme Souness came in for me.
    "Which is the biggest club now? For me, it still has to be Rangers. It's always been my opinion that the size of a club is determined by how many fans come through the door.
    "And when you compare Rangers with Villa, there is only one winner.
    "But the Premiership is fantastic. It's the best league in the world and everyone wants to play there. That's why the clubs down here have such a strong hand.
    "However, when you look at Rangers as a club, the history, the fans and what it means to people, I'd always see it as unusual when a player left to better themselves. I can't speak for Carlos because I don't know the motives behind his decision but I know things probably changed after Rangers were knocked out of Europe.
    "I bumped into him at the stadium on the day he signed. I'm pretty sure he didn't remember me. After all, it has been more than 15 years since I left Ibrox."
    Walters watched Cuellar in action last season and confirmed what everyone in Scottish football knows - Rangers' loss is most definitely Villa's gain.
    He said: "Carlos is a great player. I saw him a lot last season and he was a true class act. He was outstanding on the run to the UEFA Cup Final and he will be a great signing for Villa.
    "The centre of defence is the one area of the team that really needs strengthened and that is why Martin has gone for Carlos.
    "Rangers beat some seriously good teams on the way to the final and Carlos was the rock at the back. I have no doubts he will be a great success down here."
    But Walters admits there is less chance of picking up silverware at Villa. Their last trophy was the League Cup in 1996 and he said: "The best Villa can hope for is a European place. Martin has built a good team but it's difficult to break into that top four down here. I can see fifth or sixth being the aim.
    "Winning is something all footballers want and that doesn't happen so much when you leave Rangers where you win things every year. That's why I loved it so much but the defeat by Kaunas was a disaster."
    Walters can't understand the Rangers fans who want to axe Walter Smith. He said: "I know what Walter is capable of. If anyone can turn this around, it's him."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Walters: I Love Villa But Don't Understand Why Players Quit Rangers

we were relegated to the old 2nd div (now the championship) when he left for rangers. so he's right when he said
    ""In my day, moving from Rangers to Villa would be seen as a step down."