PEDRO MENDES has admitted he is looking forward to teaming up with £4million signing Steve Davis in a new-look Rangers midfield.

Gers boss Walter Smith is set to bring one of the summer's most protracted transfer sagas to an end after agreeing a fee with Fulham for Davis.

Smith now just has to agree personal terms with the player who enjoyed a hugely successful loan spell at Ibrox last season, to secure his services.

And Mendes, who made his Gers debut in the 2-0 win over Hearts on Saturday, reckons the Northern Ireland captain will be a good acquisition.

Mendes revealed: "I know the player Steven Davis well. I played against him a couple of times when I was at Portsmouth and he was at Fulham.

"I know he spent the second half of last season on loan at Rangers and did very well here. It is no surprise as he is a very good player. Technically, he is excellent.

"I am looking forward to playing with him as I am with everybody who is involved in the squad here at Rangers. I will do my job and play where the manager chooses to play me.

"When a team wants to improve and move forward it is no surprise when a manager brings in new players and it is good that is happening at Rangers just now."

Mendes, who himself signed for Rangers in a £3million transfer from Pompey last Friday, could play alongside Davis against Aberdeen at Pittodrie this weekend.

The 29-year-old Portuguese player feels it is vital the Gers win the game and go into the first Old Firm game of the season with maximum points.

They are two points clear of Celtic, who drew 1-1 with Dundee United at Tannadice, at the top of the SPL table along with Hamilton.

Mendes added: "I know the Old Firm game is a massive match for the fans. It is important for them that their team wins it. I would like to be involved in it.

"The Old Firm game is a well known fixture in football outside of Scotland. I have already had calls from friends asking me for tickets for it!

"I have played in many big derby matches. I played for Porto against Benfica and Sporting Lisbon. They were big games. Before that, I played for Vitoria Guimaraes and their big rivalry was with Braga. The derby is a special game."

He went on: "But, like all players, I want to be involved in every game the team plays. It is important we win the game with Aberdeen this weekend. Then we can worry about the Old Firm game.

"We don't want to lose any points. We will go to Aberdeen to win the game and then we will go to Parkhead to play Celtic to win the game as well."

Mendes picked up the Man of the Match award on his Rangers debut - despite only arriving in Glasgow the day before and never having trained with his new team-mates.

However, the twice-capped player, who won the Champions League with Porto under Jose Mourinho in 2004, is hoping he can get even better in time.

He said: "I think there are some very fine players at Rangers. I played with them on Saturday, without having worked with any of them before, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

"It was pleasing to win the Man of the Match award against Hearts, but what was more pleasing for me was that the team won and picked up three points.

"When I have trained with the players a bit more I will know their games better and will be able to play to their strengths on the park far better.

"Rangers is clearly a big, big club. I enjoyed playing in front of so many fans at such a great stadium. The fans were fantastic, always behind us.

"Of course, it is disappointing that we will not be involved in Europe this season, but we just have to work hard in training and in the matches we play and try to put that right."

Mendes feels the club's chances of landing silverware, including the SPL title, will be boosted when skipper Barry Ferguson returns to the team in November.

He said: "Barry was one of the players that I knew of before I came here. It is good for Rangers to have so many good players. We will have good competition for places when he returns."

Watch me go when I'm fit

PEDRO MENDES might have collected the man of the match award on his Rangers debut - but he insists there will be more to come from him once he is fully fit.

The Portuguese midfielder told the Rangers News: "I haven't had a chance to train with the rest of the players yet - just play with them.

"I'm a little tired. I didn't sleep much before the game but with regular training my fitness levels will improve."