Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: MCSE experiences (Studying,Testkings etc..)

so why do the exams then if they are a pile of shite, just explain in an interview you think that real life experience is more important than certs and if you can back that up with knowledge I don't see a problem. Theres no point in trying to make yourself think that you can do it all but cant really.

I personally think IT certs like MS and cisco are really valuable to the employer for partnership status etc

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by matthewy2 View Post
    To be honest tam, I find the exams a pile of shite anyway.

I struggle with the exams but if the problems appear in real life then I will sort it with no trouble
    Same here, some of the wording in the exams make boyyakkas posts make sense. I'm the first to admit my english isn't perfect but MS take the piss.

Thanks
    Karma Level

if the exams are so poor why do them? no point in doing something you dont value yourself and de-value it for others in an intellectual way

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've just been put on a NVQ in IT Level 3 - once thats completed (early next year) Im going to jump straight onto a microsoft cert.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spennyboy View Post
    I've just been put on a NVQ in IT Level 3 - once thats completed (early next year) Im going to jump straight onto a microsoft cert.
    By cheating or the proper way?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tam9 View Post
    Well i wouldnt say cheating tam9, as i work in the field i learn and pick up alot day to day and would hope to know a good chunk of my own back/learning.

I would be lying if i said i wouldnt look at documentations of 'mock exams' because they teach me a alot of stuff i didnt know - which is usefull in practice, not just for passing an exam.

Silly things like only yesterday i was doing some of the practice questions and a bit come up about ASR, i didnt know you could press F2 while installing windows to bring up that option. My exposure to some computer configs/process is just not there yet, as out of college i've been in 1st/2nd line support where alot of the windows installs are all done via ghost/sysprep.

So i have a hell of alot of learning that most of you guys would have picked up ages ago from early windows days. all the tricks/tips and tweaks.

So the mock exams serve more purpose than just me memorising things to pass the cert.

Cheating or the proper way... up to you how you look at it. If i can learn the skills to do my job properly than im happy.

(btw, my learning and resources come from the site you gave me - sadikhov)

Thanks
    Karma Level

I (like you) only do only take my microsoft exams after months and months of revision. I can't stand people that take the easy route - they don't get anything from it bar reducing the value of the qualification.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I take the exams because i get them free and i know jobs that if your not a msca you have no chance.

I have only passed the N+ and the xp (im taking the server 2003 one at the end of next month)

I can honestly say i have used about 10% of what i learned in my workplace.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Righty, this was copied from wikipedia, take a good long think about de-valuing the actual subject of what your studying.

I am studying my arse off for the CCNP at the moment and people who just want to do the easy route are making these certifications useless. Please think about what you are doing to the real professionals out there who do not dump and actually learn the material to pass the exam. If you are competent enough go along the correct route.

I do appreciate people not being able to afford a fail but it doesn't mean cheat in the meantime.

Anyway, my rant is over.

Tam.
    I have done the hard route by studying my arse off for my first MCP's and even failed one along the way by 4 marks before passing a retake. I completely agree with everything you are saying, but when you have worked with people who get more recognition than you in teams above you at work who are basically thick and done the testking route you kind of think what was the point?

I got 100% in the 293 test i did this morning by the way which i am slightly ashamed about to be honest. I was getting on average around 750 in the mocks i was doing before looking at the testking stuff so would of been a borderline pass anyway i feel, but i looked at these "braindumps" for peace of mind.

I feel for the people who already ahve the qualification and have worked for it. But what about the people who are a couple of exams off an MCSE and are in a competitive market whereby clueless managers are looking for "MCSE" on CV's?

It is a sorry state of affairs and MS need to look at their exam setup, you can't blame people for taking advantage of their poor exam setup. Some of these haven't changed their content for 2 years.
    LEEDS AND PROUD

Thanks
    Karma Level

so why do the exams then if they are a pile of shite, just explain in an interview you think that real life experience is more important than certs and if you can back that up with knowledge I don't see a problem. Theres no point in trying to make yourself think that you can do it all but cant really.

Mate, if you have worked at the places i have, then all the managers look for in interviews is letters after your name. I am yet to put anything I have seen in a MS exam into practice in real life.

I can understand your anger at people who can barely use XP going all the way using testkings to get an MCSE, but i wouldn;t really bear a grudge against the people who are naturally gifted troubleshooters in 3rd line roles who just can't be arsed with all the bollocks that comes with studying the MS books and courses.
    LEEDS AND PROUD

Thanks
    Karma Level

How the fu(k is using brain dumps cheating?? All it is doing is gearing your mind to the crappy, unrealistic questions that you are going to get asked by M$.

Surely all the qualification does is get you to the interview, it's then up to your technical skills and interview skills that then gets you the job?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    same here, some of the wording in the exams make boyyakkas posts make sense. I'm the first to admit my english isn't perfect but ms take the piss.

lol
    İlubber Lang

CHAMP19NS

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you guys don't make 10% use of the exams you are taking, then you are either taking the wrong exams or you need to change jobs!

Job recognition takes time and is about being better than everyone else and being recognised for it - Letters after the name don't mean shit if you don't know what you are talking about.

Thanks
    Karma Level

@copey you all finished with these exams now whats the update?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    @copey you all finished with these exams now whats the update?
    Yeah I finished the last 2 exams in Nov/Dec 08 and passed with about 90 odd percent (probably about 75% of the questions I got were the exact same as the testking pdf I had).

I am now MCSE and partly due to that got offered to join the on call team at work which has given me about a 40% salary increase.

I would have passed the exams without the testking anyway but obviously would of had to put in an extra few days study.

I wouldn't reccomend doing every single exam from scratch using testking as you will basically learn nothing, but if it's for 2 or 3 exams and you combine it with actually reading up on the stuff you have never seen before or are unsure of, then it is worth doing, just having the letters MCSE on your CV put you on the top of the pile for job applications. Most decent positions will have some sort of techical test anyway so you have to know your stuff regardless of your MCSE. It's a foot in the door though and gives you a great advantage.
    LEEDS AND PROUD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by copey123 View Post
    Yeah I finished the last 2 exams in Nov/Dec 08 and passed with about 90 odd percent (probably about 75% of the questions I got were the exact same as the testking pdf I had).

I am now MCSE and partly due to that got offered to join the on call team at work which has given me about a 40% salary increase.

I would have passed the exams without the testking anyway but obviously would of had to put in an extra few days study.

I wouldn't reccomend doing every single exam from scratch using testking as you will basically learn nothing, but if it's for 2 or 3 exams and you combine it with actually reading up on the stuff you have never seen before or are unsure of, then it is worth doing, just having the letters MCSE on your CV put you on the top of the pile for job applications. Most decent positions will have some sort of techical test anyway so you have to know your stuff regardless of your MCSE. It's a foot in the door though and gives you a great advantage.
    Well done matey, i bet you are well chuffed? i am doing an mcad but finding it hard to past 1st stage! sql. i got to have a good crack at it and keep my concentration on it.

least you got your foot in the door and the extra money must be a fantastic feeling. i wish you all the best matey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12