Close

Thread: University

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default University

Hi, iv just completed my A-levels and am now waiting to enrole at university, obviously iv never been before and dont know what to expect, just woundering if anyone may have any tips or do's and dont's
    ???????????????????

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: University

im going uni this september, LIVE OUT and enjoy uni life! Went to oxford brookes last september but dropped out because i couldnt commute any longer, too much BS. Now going hertfordshire, Living in halls. Bloody £96 a week! And dont let the partying get in between your studies, know too many people who have to retake the year because of it.
    LOVE UNITED HATE GLAZER

Thanks
    Karma Level

A massive "do" is get a job. If you don't want to do that, then at least work as much as you can over your holidays.

Even on a low pay job (£6-7 an hour) you can be looking at 10-12 grand a year whilst you're at uni and therefore live on almost as much as some normal people, except you get all the cheap advantages of being a student. And it gives you a little bit of ammo against the "students are tax dodging scum" brigade. I worked in a supermarket and just kept at it because I was a supervisor and got quite involved with the place, which is great because its easy work to find but when you are in that sort of job keep your eye out for something more original. There is no reason why you can't be doing the same job as somebody who left school with your Qs to work, even if it is the part time version. Better job satisfaction and better money should result.

This means you have cash to actually have fun, rather than just being all "wooo! uni!! i got up at 12 today!!! ROCK ON! i'm going to stay in cos i have no money "

I stayed at home for uni and would definitely recommend to anyone to move away for it. I really like staying at home, but I regret not having the experience of moving away. Being 17 it seemed scary as hell but now I'm 20 and want to travel a bit, but its much harder when you can't just move into halls somewhere and have everything set for you. I found myself having most fun in the summer when I didn't have to think too - going into work with a hangover wasnt affecting my future much, whereas people who move away to uni seem to prefer term time months because of all the people they only know through uni, even if it is harder to party on without fucking up your life.

I also know loads of people who have resat years because of too much freedom and partying, this is something you should avoid. If nothing else, its mega expensive. We get free uni in Scotland with a maximum allowance of 1 resit year, after that you pay yourself and I even know some people who have had to go that far. In England it could add thousands onto your student debt just resiting once.

That's the boring bits over. Ask for student discount EVERYWHERE. You can get 10% off in loads of places just with a student card, and in some places like scream bars you can get special cards that entitle you to cheap drinks and such.

You'll probably find yourself drinking a lot more on weeknights than weekends. Head to student bars but also the ones for the local kids - they might even have better weeknight drink deals because they are appealing to the working people. Then Friday and Saturday tends to turn into quiet nights in with friends because of the expense, and because they tend to be full of pricks in towns anyway.

Share a flat or live in halls, and join societies and such. This is usually how people make proper full time friends, rather than working acquaintances from classes.

If you end up in classes where nobody talks, just randomly start talking to somebody. The worst you can do is make a fanny of yourself in front of people who are too socially inept to even talk to each other so go for it. I thought I'd make loads of friends through meeting people from classes, and after a few years I did, but at first they all came from other more random things (eg. somebody in the class I knew from school, who knew somebody from a dancing class she used to go to, who knew someone else from her school and so on)

Its a fantastic way to live and if you meet people who hate students its immediately obvious that they are jealous.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

excellent post two planks - well said.
    If I'm not back in five minutes... wait longer!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

financial stuff: get a job, i didn't i was skint for ages and lived on noting, but coudln't be arsed to get a job.
    the guy form MSE was on radio 1 the other day talking about loans/banking etc. he basically said whatever your situation get the student loan, as it's the best interest rate you will ever get. if you can afford it, stick it in a high interest savings account, if not use it. it's cheaper than credit card.
    second best financial thing was use the interest free overdrafts, but beware they will up the rates as soon as you finish being a student. basically avoid the credit cards if you can. check out his website for more details. i know that's very generalised but have a look.

as far as enjoying yourself - go for it. my motto in life is "it's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't".

i had the best time of my life at college, and grew up and learnt a hell of a lot about life, but fuck all about my subject!
    as for tax dodging - you'll pay it back when you get a job, it's there to be had, so take it. just don't do it forever! - you tax dodging bar steward.

where you going?