Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default ITV To Launch In-Program Adverts

Troubled British broadcaster ITV could be on the verge of a commercial revolution after revealing a new form of advertising that displays during TV programs.

What the new advertising looks like against a blue sky

The strategy would make advertising unavoidable for viewers and would combat the practice of recording shows and fast-forwarding through ad breaks.

The broadcaster says it will use the technology, known as "automatically placed overlay advertising", to superimpose company logos into clear spaces such as blue skies or blank walls.

The technology is being given a three-month trial within the user-generated content on ITV Local's website. The broadcaster denies plans to use it on conventional broadcast channels.

ITV said: "We're very excited by it, but it's only a test. That's all it is, a test online."

Television critic for The Times newspaper, Andrew Billen, said any move by broadcasters to use the advertising method on TV would most likely backfire due to public outrage.

"It is enough to have station indents on screen let alone advertisements. We might get a beautiful sunset in Dorset being ruined by a logo for Hovis," he added.

ITV will review plans for the technology after the trial, but refused to speculate on how it might be used.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Tec...00810115111101

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: ITV To Launch In-Program Adverts

It was only a matter of time before something like this happened. Broadcasters must be pissed at the PVR market. Me and the mrs hardly ever watch live TV so hardly see adverts now.

This is not the solution though. I'd much rather be forced to watch 1 or 2 adverts before a program than see logos pop up whilst I'm watching it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: ITV To Launch In-Program Adverts

i hate fookin adverts.

look at the pic and it says "want to switch".....yes i do, over to another channel..

the way new programs are being made is fookin shite as it is, 10 mins of program then 6 mins of adverts and then the second half starts and the 1st 5 mins is a thrilling recap of the 10 mins you just watched as if i am so thick as to have forgotten it already...#

now this as well...

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?