Introduction…

In this tutorial you will learn how to create a tag icon. If you have any questions about this tutorial be sure to ask in the comments and i’ll be happy to answer any questions. Also, remember with all the tutorials, the psd is available for download.

Download the PSD…

Don’t have time to do the tutorial, but would like to see the results? The PSD is available to anybody who would like to use it.

Lets get started…

1. First thing we want to do is create a canvas for our icon. For the purpose of this tutorial, i choose to work with a canvas of 200×200.

2. Next we want to go ahead and make the basic shape of our tag. The way I chose was to use my Polygonal Lasso Tool to create a selection similar to the following and fill it with #000000

3. Next, we want to go ahead and add some blending options to this layer. To do so, right click the layer and choose Blending Options from the drop down menu. Then input the following:

4. Your document will now look like this:

5. Next we want to add a colored area in the center of our tag. To do so we want to go ahead and make a selection similar to the following using your Polygonal Lasso Tool, or you can use your rectangle marquee tool. Then go ahead and fill it with #000000

6. After you have done that, go ahead and input the following blending options on that layer:

7. It should look something like this after you have done that:

8. The next part of our tag is making the ‘hole punch’. To do so use your Elliptical marquee tool and make a selection like the following (Note: To make a perfect circle, hold SHIFT while using the Marquee tool). Then fill your selection with #000000

9. Now, input the following blending options onto your ‘hole punch’ layer:

10. You should get results similar to the following:

11. The last thing you need to do is add a little ’shine’ to give it a little detail. To do so we want to make a selection similar to the following and fill it with #FFFFFF

12. Next, go ahead and change the layer style to ‘overlay’, then lower the opacity to around 19%.

13. Now you can add some optional text and your icon is finished!

And you can also make the tags in a variety of different colors (you do this by changing the gradient in step 6)

**If you have any problems, or have any questions about this tutorial, please leave your comments and I will get back to you. Also, remember the PSD to this tutorial is available for download.

If you enjoyed this tutorial, why not check out our other Adobe Photoshop Tutorials?