Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Six more months for Windows XP

This article has been published at RLSLOG.net - visit our site for full content.

Given its history of moving deadlines at a moment’s notice, it hardly seems surprising that Microsoft is keeping Windows XP alive even longer than expected, but its latest move looks particularly bad for Vista. The apparent decision to allow OEM computer sellers to offer disks that downgrade installations of Windows Vista to XP until the end of July next year clearly bumps up against the period when Windows 7 might be released.

Partners originally had up until January 31 2009 to provide the Windows XP Professional recovery media with machines running Windows Vista Business or Windows Vista Ultimate. Now they have until July 31, 2009. Microsoft had previously said it would end the scheme next January, but the continued lack of demand for Vista appears to be behind the change of heart. If the move is confirmed, it’s yet more bad news for Vista, as XP users may have the option to skip the unloved OS entirely and move straight to Windows 7.

Source: Techradar

more at RLSLOG.net

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Six more months for Windows XP

Not surprised by this at all, all the kit we buy is coming with XP downgrade CD's. We wouldn't buy it if it didn't.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Vistas a pile of overbloated shite lets hope windows 7 a step forward.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by diablos View Post
    Vistas a pile of overbloated shite lets hope windows 7 a step forward.
    Indeed, and maybe with more backwards compatibility than Vista. One of the biggest reasons for my firm not upgrading is that we have around 10 software packages that won't run under Vista.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think Vista has been a real milestone in the desktop. I've no desire to move my workstation to Vista and I can't remember that ever happeneing before when a windows upgrade has been available.

Windows ME was maybe a forgivable mistake, but Vista?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    I think Vista has been a real milestone in the desktop. I've no desire to move my workstation to Vista and I can't remember that ever happeneing before when a windows upgrade has been available.

Windows ME was maybe a forgivable mistake, but Vista?
    Snap, I have always upgraded to the latest Windows version as soon as possible. Ok I don't use Windows any more, but I tried Vista and that was probably the nail in the coffin for me and Microsoft.

What gets me is all the hype there was surrounding Vista or Longhorn

Remember the SQL Based File System or Cairo well it never happened what about the PC Sync

Well there is stacks more I could post but I'll just sound like an MS basher!

More to read here

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    Snap, I have always upgraded to the latest Windows version as soon as possible. Ok I don't use Windows any more, but I tried Vista and that was probably the nail in the coffin for me and Microsoft.

What gets me is all the hype there was surrounding Vista or Longhorn

Remember the SQL Based File System or Cairo well it never happened what about the PC Sync

Well there is stacks more I could post but I'll just sound like an MS basher!

More to read here
    Please do its always interesting to read informative posts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

A good read thanks tombott

Thanks
    Karma Level

Taken From: http://www.tothepc.com/archives/wind...sing-in-vista/

Windows Vista is here with host of new features, but there are some features of its predecessor Windows XP, that are put to an end. So, here is the list of features that you will not find in Windows Vista, but might have used in Windows XP. Here goes…

1. User interface for advanced file type functionality (such as defining custom secondary actions or showing extensions only for specific file types) has been removed. Vista-compatible applications are expected to use new Default Programs API.

2.Windows Messenger is being removed entirely; no replacement for it is expected to be included, in favor of a link to Windows Live Messenger on the Welcome Center .

3. NetMeeting is also being removed entirely, in favor of Windows Meeting Space.4. Internet Explorer is no longer integrated with Windows Explorer. This can also be seen in Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP and Windows Server 20035. Windows XP’s well-known Luna theme has been removed.

6. Links to the Backgammon, Hearts, Reversi, Spades and Checkers games on MSN Gaming Zone have been removed. Pinball has also been removed.

7. Startup Hardware Profiles have been removed.

8. Due to unpopularity, IP over 1394 (FireWire) support has been removed.

9. Unlike Outlook Express, Windows Mail has no support for HTTP mail via the WebDAV protocol (used by older Hotmail accounts and Yahoo! Mail); the addition of Windows Live Mail Desktop is likely to be required for similar functionality and there is a link to this from the Welcome Center

10. Windows Explorer’s Web Publishing Wizard has been removed.

11. HyperTerminal has been removed. No replacement will be included with Vista .

12. Support for enabling a folder for web sharing with Internet Information Services via the Windows Explorer interface has been removed.

13. Motherboard support for ACPI is required for Windows Vista; as a result, older motherboards supporting only Advanced Power Management will no longer work. Other “legacy” hardware technologies no longer supported include: EISA buses, game ports, MPU-401, AMD K6/2+ Mobile Processors, Mobile Pentium II, and Mobile Pentium III SpeedStep; ISAPnP is disabled by default.

Besides these, there will be lot more. Surely I will update as and when I find them. In the meantime you can also add in comment, if I have missed something important… thanks in advance.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Will be interesting to see what comes with Windows 7, if it will be a vamped version of Vista or if they go in a new direction.
    Makes you wonder though with the naming convention, kind of distances itself from Vista and goes back to it's roots with Windows 3.11 etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

it looks like a rehashed vista from the beta im using

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nzb Re: Six more months for Windows XP

in case you didnt have it......