Close

Thread: Towel Trick

Thanks
    Karma Level

Xbox 360 Towel Trick

I had a single red light on my box now for about 2 months, M$ wanted £60.00 to fix it, but was worried about getting a new lite - on drive, any last night i tried the old towel trick, and it only worked, couldn't believe it.

Been good for a couple of hours now.

Has anyone had more than a few hours out of there machine after trying this ?

Cheers

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Towel Trick

What the towel trick does to your box will vary, if you are lucky it will work for months but if you have damaged a component when it dies again it may be a permanent break.

You should have performed a Xclamp replacement on the GPU (althought I recommend on both chips) so you get the shit thermal goo out that M$ use and replace it with a good quality thermal paste. Then you bake but not using the towel trick. That would be a better bet that it will last because heat can then dissipate more efficiently.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think in my case it is actually the ANA chip that is the problem, or is that the same as the GPU, don't really know too much about the inside of the box.

E74 error, one red light botton right

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

E74 can be either GPU or ana mate, in the case of it being the ANA have a look here:
    http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=387559

If it goes back to E74 you can test if it is the ana by putting pressure on it, if the screen comes on thats the problem, if not then it might well be the GPU.

Thanks
    Karma Level

this happened to me last week overheated it twice only ran for a couple of hours so got x clamp kit of ebay put it together worked straight away been goin for about 4 days now fingers crossed it stays working

sam

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quick Update,

The ANA chip is the problem, dismantled the machine, run a game when the picture went funny applied some pressue to the ANA chip and the picture is fine until i release the pressure.

I watched the video but their is no way i can resolder it myself, is there anyone on here that would do it for a charge.

I have seen some people advertising on Ebay who can do it but, i may never see my xbox again.

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
    Quick Update,

The ANA chip is the problem, dismantled the machine, run a game when the picture went funny applied some pressue to the ANA chip and the picture is fine until i release the pressure.

I watched the video but their is no way i can resolder it myself, is there anyone on here that would do it for a charge.

I have seen some people advertising on Ebay who can do it but, i may never see my xbox again.

Cheers
    definably needs the xclamp trick. its really simply open it up, take off the gpu, remove the heatsink, apply artic heat sink and then leave of the xclamp and use some nylon washers and screws to secure it in place with a sung fit. if you need to know what screw sizes to buy check xbox scene they have some specs for the screws etc and just get as close as you can from your dny shop

after you have done this over heat it. this will reset the bearings after you have done this let it cool properly then put it back together and ill see you in a year still enjoying rez evil 5

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    definably needs the xclamp trick. its really simply open it up, take off the gpu, remove the heatsink, apply artic heat sink and then leave of the xclamp and use some nylon washers and screws to secure it in place with a sung fit. if you need to know what screw sizes to buy check xbox scene they have some specs for the screws etc and just get as close as you can from your dny shop

after you have done this over heat it. this will reset the bearings after you have done this let it cool properly then put it back together and ill see you in a year still enjoying rez evil 5
    ANA chip is nothing to do with GPU mate, it is the chip behind it. If those legs have lost connection with the board a Xclamp won't sort it.

Have a look at the link I posted mate, rids sorted his ANA chip out and he says it is pretty easy to do. You can do that or try the penny stack trick (put a weight on the chip then overheat it so the weight forces the connections tto heal, then cool down with weight still on).

I thought the best way to do the stack would be overheat the machine so the solder begins to flow again, then add the coin stack, then soo nafter turn the power off. I say this way because the coins will conduct heat and if they are on the whole time it may be possible they would damage the component.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i would rather take out the soldering iron than this lets-overheat-the-whole-product method if you want to fix just one chip ... kind of selfdestructive if ya think a lil bit about it!?!? :-/
    Last edited by Flat; 23rd October 2008 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I had the x-clamp fix done on mine, lasted around 5 days.. Plus my dvd drive aint the best so cant be arsed spending more money on it. ne to do the fix for me as I get someoI aint that technical. So the towel trick is my saviour