Close

Thread: DAB Radios

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default DAB Radios

Am after a DAB radio for the old trotter for the kitchen. Any suggestions? Would like one that looks like an old radio but doesn't cost me the earth. It is for the kitchen for fucks sake and doesn't need to be Pink Triangle.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: DAB Radios

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...text%3EDAB.htm

Knowing you love a bit of bush bert

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Wats the DAB channel availability like in your area Bert?

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/

I got one and unless I want to listen to commercial crap its a waste of money!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

any of these? :

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...m/category/288

my mum has a pure evoke and that's pretty good. If she can use it then anyone can!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by willp2003 View Post
    any of these? :

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...m/category/288

my mum has a pure evoke and that's pretty good. If she can use it then anyone can!
    My dad has one again and its really good. Simple to use

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

Berty, I would forget DAB and get an internet Wifi radio instead. As long as you have a wifi router you will have access to 1000s of channels worldwide as well as all the UK radio stations. If you're a Radio 4 fan you will also love the On-Demand content e.g. listen to a comedy show from last week. In terms of sound quality, depending on the bit rate I thinks its comparable to DAB.

I've got the brilliant Logik IR100 which seems to have mercurial pricing depending on the mood of Dixons/Curry's/PCWorld (i.e. 39.99 to 99.99) but look on Ebay and you should get a minter for no more than 50 quid.

"You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

That looks sweet. "Audio file streaming from PC" nice.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    Berty, I would forget DAB and get an internet Wifi radio instead. As long as you have a wifi router you will have access to 1000s of channels worldwide as well as all the UK radio stations. If you're a Radio 4 fan you will also love the On-Demand content e.g. listen to a comedy show from last week. In terms of sound quality, depending on the bit rate I thinks its comparable to DAB.

I've got the brilliant Logik IR100 which seems to have mercurial pricing depending on the mood of Dixons/Curry's/PCWorld (i.e. 39.99 to 99.99) but look on Ebay and you should get a minter for no more than 50 quid.

Cheers m8...I'll have some of that!

EDIT: got one off fleabay for £52.50 inc P&P.
    Last edited by Nibb; 3rd November 2008 at 02:02 PM.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

OK chaps, I guess this technology is not so well known so just though I'd jot down some background info.

Most of the Wifi radios on the market run a reference chipset based on the Reciva design. Reciva is the main portal which your radio will access for the radio stations so you don't need to worry about internet stations going off air, changing their webstream address etc.. since the Reciva directory is constantly updated. Reciva based radios range from the fairly cheap Logik/Bush (Argos) stuff through to beautifully made Roberts WM-201 and Tangent Quattro. Although most of the radios are internet only, a few can also receive DAB and FM, as with most things it depends how deep your pockets are.

The other major players are Pinnacle Systems/Roku with their Soundbridge series, however they don't have the userbase of Reciva and AFAIK "On Demand" does not work on that platform. Since I'm a Radio 4 junkie that is a major turn off.

Thats it really, this is a good site to read the latest reviews of wifi radios
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just bought a FreeCom MusicPal because of this post and its fucking amazing.

Best gadget I have bought in ages, in terms of its ability to just do its job amazingly well, with a few extra silly features to boot, it ranks up there with my TomTom and Sky plus.

Thanks for bringing these things to my attention - I thought they were still an expensive fad.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Anyone got a recommendation for a WiFi radio purely to use connected to a hi-fi amplifier? Looking at making a couple of changes to my TV/surround setup, and an internet radio would be a great addition.

Ideally, it would need to be compact so I could put it in beside my amp in my cabinet, and be remote controlled so I can use my Harmony with it, less than £100 would be great too! Cheers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by broona View Post
    Anyone got a recommendation for a WiFi radio purely to use connected to a hi-fi amplifier? Looking at making a couple of changes to my TV/surround setup, and an internet radio would be a great addition.

Ideally, it would need to be compact so I could put it in beside my amp in my cabinet, and be remote controlled so I can use my Harmony with it, less than £100 would be great too! Cheers.
    What you need is a Revo Mondo my friend. Brilliant British design, under £100 and it comes with a remote controller.

Spoiler:

A handful of reviews on Amazon
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Brilliant, I'll look into one of those.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Revo Mondo looks ideal for me too, I also like the fact you can stream mp3 to it from a pc. A steal at sub £100 too, thanks GTI...............

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: DAB/ WiFi Radios

GTI im going to kill you !!!

as im writing this i have 10 internet explorer windows open looking at Tangets, Revos etc and blowing loads of cash on one
    choices choices choices !!!

PS my kit is as follows and recommendations

Morduant Short Genies
    Denon Avr-2805

yes i know its only 5.1 but it does my sitting room !!
    Last edited by Mobileman; 9th December 2008 at 08:52 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    The Revo Mondo looks ideal for me too, I also like the fact you can stream mp3 to it from a pc. A steal at sub £100 too, thanks GTI...............

Quick update guys bought my Revo Mondo from Revo's outlet store on ebay link below
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/revo...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Best of all its supposed to be refurb but im 99.9% that its a brand new unit.

All from the huge sum of £66 !!

Also bought a new AV stand with 15% Ebay discount code so looks like i have a busy weekend re-wiring my AV setup

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    Quick update guys bought my Revo Mondo from Revo's outlet store on ebay link below
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/revo...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Best of all its supposed to be refurb but im 99.9% that its a brand new unit.

All from the huge sum of £66 !!

Also bought a new AV stand with 15% Ebay discount code so looks like i have a busy weekend re-wiring my AV setup
    Good stuff, I'm thinking of getting a Mondo too.
    Don't forget to register an account on the Reciva website which will allow you to create personal playlists/streams etc... this is pretty essential since you only have about 10 hardware presets.

Its also worth running a "firware upgrade" from the settings menu just in case.
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good stuff, I'm thinking of getting a Mondo too.
    Don't forget to register an account on the Reciva website which will allow you to create personal playlists/streams etc... this is pretty essential since you only have about 10 hardware presets.

Its also worth running a "firware upgrade" from the settings menu just in case.
    Will do Gti its worth keeping an eye out on the ebay site, sure most of the kit is just customers that change mind etc and return the item, some great prices nearly bought 2 of these for christmas presents
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Revo-BLIK-Radi...1%7C240%3A1318 still might yet

just setting up on reciva now