Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Suggestions for a new Tripod...

Hi everyone,

Basically I want to get a tripod for christmas, but not sure what to get, so many out there. I have a price range of about £80, and also I am over 6ft, so one that can go quite high. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks

Kev

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Suggestions for a new Tripod...

Upon the advice of my photography peers I went for the Manfrotto tripod.

The model is a Manfrotto 190X PROB tripod but you need to buy a head with it so I went for the Manfrotto 804RC2 (3 way) and also a Manfrotto tripod bag (70mm). All from Warehouse Express. The quality of all 3 items is excellent. I am 6'3" and do have to bend a tiny bit to put my eye to the viewfinder but nothing to be bothered about.

This set up may put you slightly over budget though?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought a Manfrotto 055 B from ebay with a knackered head and column screw missing (as advertised) for £35, replaced the screw, threw the head and bought a 488RC2 for £60 from Jessies. So for under a ton I have a good solid bit of kit, the head and the quick release plate mechanism is the dog's.
    Maybe you could try this route, slightly over budget yes but way, way superior to some flimsy shite you would get for £80 mate. I tried some cheaper ones in the shop and they were ok, as long as you don't touch them, fart near em and there is NO wind, don't do it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

How about this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VELBON-CX640-C...3A1|240%3A1318

I own a Velbon and it is as stable as hell. I use a Manfrotto Ballhead on it though but head choice is a personal thing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It is indeed.I just prefer 'frotto kit. It works.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry guys, been busy with uni, well I have managed to get a bit further, but still unsure lol. I like this, its a Manfrotto 055XPROB + 488RC2 head, looks sturdy and got a ball head which I prefer, also the center column bends, allowing me to do good macro shots. But also there is a Slik Pro 700DX for £50 cheaper

Manfrotto Kit: http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...oryid~158.html
    Slik Kit: http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...ctID~4122.html

I am open to ideas now, as I have some spare wages, so no higher then £160.

Go and find me a nice setup

Kev

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have my eyes set on a Giottos MTL8361B, which seems to me a very nice piece of kit, can't wait to finally receiving it after the wrong one has being sent to me.
    Head will be a Manfrotto MN390RC2 Pan and Tilt head, which I've already got. I'm used to a similar head on the all in one cheapo I've got and found it nice an easy to use for me in different situations. I hope these two will work together fine.

My two cents and good luck in finding the right one for you.

Also, a trip (or two) to a photo shop may show you which tripod would suit you.
    Greetings :)

Hogwart

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

After reading this thread I am going to buy a manfrotto tripod, probably the 190XPROB (is this the newest model?). I am unsure as to what type of head to get, I am leaning towards the ball type rather than a 3 way as I feel it may be quicker to adjust. Is that the case or am I missing something.Any recommendations also appreciated plus is it worth getting the quick release plate too. TIA.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a Manfrotto 484RC2 ball head and love it. Comes with the Quick Release plate which I find very handy, makes installation onto the head very quickly and if you use your tripod a lot you can leave the plate on your camera permanently. Can pick them up reasonably cheap and they can be leant at any angle. I also have a Velbon 3 way head but prefer the ball head by a country mile.

Has to be said it is a very personal thing as some folk love them and some hate them. Best to try first if you can.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a cheap tripod years ago that had a 3 way head on it and I found that setting the camera to the required position quickly was a bit tedious so I will get a ball type as you stated and will price that model up later, cheers. I've had an interest in photography for about 25 years but tended to read up on stuff more than actually taking any pictures. I bought a Canon EOS 400D DSLR about 18 months ago with a Tamron 18-250 zoom lens so am now hoping to get out and use it more. There is a macro facility on this lens so was going to get the tripod to do some close up shots first but I've a feeling that the lens will not get close enough for some of the shots I would like to try, eg close ups of insects etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You normally find with longer zoom lenses that the macro facility is only available at the long end of the zoom range which means you have to be miles away from the subject. Check the lens manual and see how the macro works on that.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

For this lens I think there is a close focus distance of 0.45m throughout all the focal lengths, I could be wrong though.

Just priced a 484RC2, will this head be adequate for my camera and lens as it states in the advert it's OK for compacts and small SLR's. Are the mounts standard ie will it fit onto a manfrotto 190PROB without any problems.
    Last edited by newnesy; 17th December 2008 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Try this site for manfrotto stuff ,generally have sales pretty regular
    http://www.fotosense.co.uk/manfrotto...way-head.html/
    Signature Removed: Maximum signature image size is: 468 x 60

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a Manfotto 785B not being used if anyone wants to make me an offer for it. It is boxed and has instructions. Nice bit of kit but I hardly ever use it.

I bought it for UE as it is quite light and folds down to nothing, used it a few times for that but have not done any exploring for a while now and it is just sitting here unused. Offers?

http://www.adorama.com/BG785B.html
    Banned Scammer

Thanks
    Karma Level

Guys,

Manfrotto 190X ProB is the mutts. The alloy is the way to go unless you're desperate to have less weight, but then it's slightly less stable. Alloy is cheaper and the weight has not bugged me yet. The horizontal tilt of the centre column is essential (I wasn't convinced until I bought it).

As for head, you either go for the cheaper 3 way tilt and pan (slightly more precise but slower to setup and not as compact) or ball head (oh yes, you know it makes sense). The 484 is not a bad starter head, but not totally secure for DSLR's if you have a battery grip (although I'm sure Bert will argue against that). For the difference in price though, it makes total sense to get the 488RC0 which I have and it will support my house.

Don't bother with the geared heads unless you're planning on doing some seriously precise work which will make the extra cost worthwhile. Saying that, they are excellent, just take a little longer to setup so not the best for landscapes, more for still life/macro.
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What is the difference between the 488RC0 and the 488RC4 because one of the web sites has them as the same price?

Thanks
    Karma Level

They have different release plates. The RC04 is also 2cm shorter.
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

The 322RC2 coupled with the 190xprob is what i use ,gets pretty hairy taking the head through customs as it looks weird in a bag ,as for performance its rock solid ,from the tripod to the head ,and it handles any big lenses pretty well .
    Signature Removed: Maximum signature image size is: 468 x 60

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie101 View Post
    The 322RC2 coupled with the 190xprob is what i use ,gets pretty hairy taking the head through customs as it looks weird in a bag ,as for performance its rock solid ,from the tripod to the head ,and it handles any big lenses pretty well .
    Grip action heads are the spawn of the devil. I didn't even bother mentioning them cause I didn't think anyone was stupid enough to use them... I was wrong

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just ordered a 190XPROB tripod and 488RC2 head for £140 from fotosense, went for the RC2 because advised that it was easier to use than RC0......... but who knows, anyway should get it on Monday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast