NTFS hd to PS3?

Thread: NTFS hd to PS3?

  1. nav's Avatar

    nav said:

    Question NTFS hd to PS3?

    Is there anyway I can connect an NTFS external usb hard drive to playstation 3?

    Is there a patch out there for ps3 or something?

    or am I stuck with FAT/FAT32 hard to the ps3?

    Reason why is that I want to store large vob files that exceed 4 gig such as movies for backing up on my hard drive and watching them off the ps3, but some dvds exceed 4 gig, which means I have to shrink the file and that means time and quality loss.

    Thanks
     
  2. Thrush's Avatar

    Thrush said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    nothing you can do i'm afraid.
     
  3. dirtyrider's Avatar

    dirtyrider said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    There is a program out there which can format an entire hard drive in FAT 32 and keep large file sizes!!
    Cant remenber name but will look into it..
     
  4. prezzy's Avatar

    prezzy said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrider View Post
    There is a program out there which can format an entire hard drive in FAT 32 and keep large file sizes!!
    Cant remenber name but will look into it..
    Think the only way is to format the drive to HTFS with Macdrive - FAT / FAT32 will ONLY see files of 4gig and less. Can't remember if my PS3 even picked up the external HD formatted to HTFS to be honest, think the 360 did but not the PS3, could have been the other way round tho.

     
  5. dirtyrider's Avatar

    dirtyrider said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    Use this!! PARAGON PARTITION MANAGER available in the usual places.
     
  6. Thrush's Avatar

    Thrush said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    does it work with ps3, and has it been confirmed?
     
  7. dirtyrider's Avatar

    dirtyrider said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    does it work with ps3, and has it been confirmed?
    I used this a while ago(for xbox360 and my ps3) it converted a whole 500gb hd into FAT32, the largest file i had on was a 720p movie converted to mkv, but all the disc was seen by the consoles.
     
  8. prezzy's Avatar

    prezzy said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrider View Post
    I used this a while ago(for xbox360 and my ps3) it converted a whole 500gb hd into FAT32, the largest file i had on was a 720p movie converted to mkv, but all the disc was seen by the consoles.
    Still have a 4gig file size limit though?

     
  9. kracken's Avatar

    kracken said:

    Info Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    Only 4GB supported with external drives / usb sticks.The PS3 only reads external FAT32 drives.
    Larger files need to be done with a Media Server, something similar to TVersity.
    Or actually "copy it over" to the PS3's built in hardrive with TVersity.


    TVersity in action on your PS3



    First thing you want to do on your PS3, go to Video and click Search for media server.



    Your server should be found. If not, try restarting the TVersity server on your PC.



    Back on the Video part of the XMB, your Media Server should be show.



    Navigate through the folders (Video -> My Video -> All Video) and the file you added to TVersity above should be displayed and is ready to play by hitting "X"


    TVersity Copying to PS3's Internal Drive

    Setup your media server in the exact same way as above, but this time once you get to your movie...



    Push triangle on the file, and go to "copy"...



    Voilą, the movie is copying from your PC hard drive, to your PS3 hard drive. This is fairly quick on a wired setup, and a bit slower on wireless.
     
  10. m3yer's Avatar

    m3yer said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    Thats really helpful to know Kracken, muchos appreciatos!
     
  11. kracken's Avatar

    kracken said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    No probs. I busy trying to decide on a large NAS for meself. Possibly looking at a Synology CS407 (plus drives) .

    I wonder if Santa has one in his sackfor me
     
  12. casio's Avatar

    casio said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    how do you get the ps3 to see the nas drives? i ask as i have 2 nas's and neither can be picked up by the ps3 when i scan for media
     
  13. kracken's Avatar

    kracken said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    how do you get the ps3 to see the nas drives? i ask as i have 2 nas's and neither can be picked up by the ps3 when i scan for media
    Not all NAS devices are compatible with PS3 (or Xbox 360 for that matter), you just have to do your research before you buy I guess
     
  14. casio's Avatar

    casio said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    crap, nevermind i had the 2 nas (ive got 2 1tb wd mybook world's) before i got the ps3 (only got it a couple of days ago and i love it lol lost more than a few hrs to gran turismo 5 so far lol)

    i'll know for when i buy my next one lol
     
  15. kracken's Avatar

    kracken said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    crap, nevermind i had the 2 nas (ive got 2 1tb wd mybook world's) before i got the ps3 (only got it a couple of days ago and i love it lol lost more than a few hrs to gran turismo 5 so far lol)

    i'll know for when i buy my next one lol
    That seems to work ok with PS3 according to ....

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
     
  16. casio's Avatar

    casio said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    hmmm thats wierd, cheers for the link m8, ive got some reading to do (im going to pretend im complaining but really i enjoy problems like this lol)
     
  17. kracken's Avatar

    kracken said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    hmmm thats wierd, cheers for the link m8, ive got some reading to do (im going to pretend im complaining but really i enjoy problems like this lol)
     
  18. casio's Avatar

    casio said:

    Default Re: NTFS hd to PS3?

    just had a quick look and theyre the normal usb ones m8 not the nas versions, although apparently its due to the mybook world not having a DLNA Server built in, so im seeming to remember that mediatomb has that built in and can be installed on the mybook wold (its linux after all) so that should sort it

    (although im not in the mood for some linux faffing tonight, im definatly trying this tomorrow)

    cheers m8