Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Roy Keane leaves Sunderland

Not surprised , will be very difficult for him to get another premier job

Keane and Sunderland part company

Keane took charge of Sunderland in 2006

Roy Keane has left his position as manager of Sunderland.
    Sunderland confirmed the exit of Keane on Thursday, with players and staff at the Stadium of Light also informed after a morning of speculation.
    The Black Cats are 18th in the Premier League and have lost five of their last six games.
    Former Manchester United midfielder Keane, 37, took over at Sunderland in 2006 and led them to the Premier League in 2006-07.
    Keane had said in recent weeks that his future may not be certain, hinting that he could leave the club.
    Sunderland's latest defeat came against Bolton on Saturday, with the Black Cats losing 4-1.
    "I ask myself every day if I'm the right man for Sunderland," he said after that defeat. "I asked myself this morning, and I said I was. Sunday morning, if the answer's no, we'll have to look at it."

Keane has spent nearly £70m on 33 permanent signings since his arrival in August 2006, including the big-money arrivals of striker Kenwyne Jones, midfielder Kieran Richardson, defender Anton Ferdinand and a club-record £9m on keeper Craig Gordon.
    In their return to the Premier League last season their finished in 15th position escaping relegation by just three points.
    Keane had been due to hold a news conference at 1300 GMT ahead of Saturday's Premier League game against Manchester United.
    The Irish midfielder is still regarded as legend at previous club Manchester United where he won seven Premier League titles, four FA Cups as well as the Champions League in 1999. During his 12-year career at Old Trafford he earned himself a fearsome reputation as a no-nonsense tough-tackling midfielder.

Keane also had spells at Nottingham Forest and Celtic, winning 66 caps for his country.
    During his first season as manager at Sunderland he led the club to the Championship title.
    Keane becomes the fourth managerial departure in the Premier League this season. His contract was due to expire at the end of the season with talks over a new deal reportedly ongoing. More to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nd/7764671.stm
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 4th December 2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Article added.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Roy kean leaves Sunderland

Very unstable character.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I could see this coming weeks ago.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

looks like he is using Just for Men but forgetting he has a beard.

Thanks
    Karma Level

He was doing such a great job for them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    He was doing such a great job for them.
    As a Boro fan I thought he was!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

result Re: Roy Keane leaves Sunderland

Cant say im surprised to be honest, but with over 80 million spent and there still the same old shit team...

As a toon fan some may say im just being biased but honestly at the start of the season they looked a good outfit and I was actually worried for a short time that they would overtake us but even the toon at their lowest in many many years are still a better team.

The other North East team Boro are at this time a better team than us but in my opinion they lack many many things for them ever to progress.gareth Southgate has done very well to keep his job really and im impressed with the way he has run the team since he took over but for them to get better and more consistent then they need someone far more experienced.

All this coming from a bloke who's team are on the brink of relegation Buhahah

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Roy Keane leaves Sunderland

What will happen to the new republican Irish following he brought are all tri-colours now going cheap. ?

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

Thanks
    Karma Level

That is a suprise to me as there is nobody any good waiting in the wings so to speak who is any good and could do a job up there anyway sam aladyce maybe

Thanks
    Karma Level

I imagine him to be a bit like Keegan, someone who fucks off when the going gets tough.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I imagine him to be a bit like Keegan, someone who fucks off when the going gets tough.
    Yeah cos he`s well known for bottling it when the going gets tough!

I think he just realised they are shite, and no matter how much money they spend they won`t attract the players needed to do anything in the Premiership.

The decent players they have now are only their cos of Keane, and when your used to being the best and winning most of the time, getting pumped every week must be pretty hard to swallow.

Thanks
    Karma Level

And to think some United fans were lining him up as the next manager of United. Madness. I never had Keane down as a quitter, it certainly was out of character from him as a player, but I never had much time for the man (as opposed to the player), and this just goes some more to show his real calibre. His reputation saw him through to promotion, but his managerial skills just weren't enough. Next Ireland manager then

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well this has come as no surprise what so ever, People saying Roy Keane isnt a quitter need to get a grip, He is second only to Keegan to quitting as far as im concerened............ Everyone always bangs on about how amazing he was when he knew he couldnt play in the final of the Champions League but still he fought for the win in Turin and dragged his team out from the gutter etc etc etc. Im not denying he had a good game but he's almost made a carreer out of that game alone.

Just think back to the eve of the World Cup in Japan 2002 when something didnt quite go his way and he threw his toys out of the pram, What did he do........ Fucked off back home to walk his dog........... I call it QUITTING.

Im sure no one will ever really know what happened with him at Utd but in the press it was by "mutual consent". Now i think in Roy Keanes terms that means he said he'd had enough of this and that and thought the SAF would bow down to him because of what he has done to the club but didnt so had no choice but to, yep you guessed it QUIT.

And now were at the day of him QUITTING Sunderland, he wasnt pushed and has been backed financially and supported extremely well but i just dont think he could handle it so he had to QUIT.

Now i know all the Man Yoo fans will jump on this and start banging on about how he is one of the Premier Leagues best ever players and Utd would havent got half the trophies they have under SAF if it wasnt for him blah blah blah blah, Im not denying any of those things........... All i am saying is that this really cannon be a shock to anyone

Once a quitter always a quitter

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheFincher View Post
    Now i know all the Man Yoo fans will jump on this and start banging on about how he is one of the Premier Leagues best ever players and Utd would havent got half the trophies they have under SAF if it wasnt for him blah blah blah blah, Im not denying any of those things........... All i am saying is that this really cannon be a shock to anyone

Once a quitter always a quitter
    Not necessarily. Im not convinced of your arguments behind what happened in Japan or at United, as the press speculation around both incidents has been tremendous, and I'm not prepared to accept Keane's "version" over anyone else's, but I think your points are very valid. Like I said, as a United fan he was a great player (though not as great as Robson), and he will go down as a club legend, and did far more than that one game you highlight, his drive and determination as a player was second to none at the time, and I'd love to see another player of that calibre coming through at OT - maybe Anderson is, but lets not forget Keane scored goals too. Yes, many United fans may jump down your throat, but strike me down as one who won't

Thanks
    Karma Level

i could see it coming, he spent shyt loads in the summer and now the going gets tough he does one.

newcastle job imo

Thanks
    Karma Level

So who do we reckon is next? Keegan is looking for work? Curb's also..... Maybe Quinn will try his luck again lol or maybe even a shock return for McJoke!! He still has a house in Yarm... Failing that I suppose Monkey's Heed could return from Thailand!

OR....... Maybe Shearer will turn to the Dark Side!!!

*EDIT* - Forgot about Big Sam!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Football.html

And here's a price guide:

http://www.online-betting-guide.co.u...nd-manager.htm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lads he's not hangin around........

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Not necessarily. Im not convinced of your arguments behind what happened in Japan or at United, as the press speculation around both incidents has been tremendous, and I'm not prepared to accept Keane's "version" over anyone else's, but I think your points are very valid. Like I said, as a United fan he was a great player (though not as great as Robson), and he will go down as a club legend, and did far more than that one game you highlight, his drive and determination as a player was second to none at the time, and I'd love to see another player of that calibre coming through at OT - maybe Anderson is, but lets not forget Keane scored goals too. Yes, many United fans may jump down your throat, but strike me down as one who won't
    Ive never doubted Keane was a good player but great, Im not so sure.......... I think he was made to look a much better player than he actually was by the players around him that were among the best in the world at the time.

I do agree that his determination and ambition were probably second to none and without that i would say he was an average player at best, When you can boss one of the best midfield's of the day around by shouting a lot in an irish accent you really cant fail. Like Fergie always said, he was his voice on the pitch and shared the same hunger for winning he did.

As for his goals to game ratio im not even convinced that was great to be honest 323 appearances and 33 goals compared to Nottingham Forest where he scored 22 in 114 appearances and don't forget they were relegated the season he came to OT Utd, Again another showing that things weren't going his way and he QUIT.

Like i have said, he was a good player playing in a great team which i think helped his career immensely.

I also stand by the fact that if you mention Roy Keane within 2 minutes someone will mention the game against Juventus and how he was so amazing even though he knew he wasn't going to play in the final (because he got booked), but you also notice that its not as often that the same is said of Michael Ballack who did the same but for his country in a World Cup Semi Final knowing he wasn't going to play in a final which in my book is a far bigger trophy as a player to win that the Champions League. Maybe he could have had that too if he hadnt QUIT on his team mates the night before their campaign started

Now im not a Utd hater in the slightest but it really does fuck me off that such a vindictive little git like Roy Keane gets so much praise when he in my opinion wasnt all that amazing. He will go down in history as a Utd legend ive no doubt of that but i also think that he acts like a toddler when things dont go his way and people will conveniently forget about that in years to come

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheFincher View Post
    Ive never doubted Keane was a good player but great, Im not so sure.......... I think he was made to look a much better player than he actually was by the players around him that were among the best in the world at the time.

Now im not a Utd hater in the slightest but it really does fuck me off that such a vindictive little git like Roy Keane gets so much praise when he in my opinion wasnt all that amazing. He will go down in history as a Utd legend ive no doubt of that but i also think that he acts like a toddler when things dont go his way and people will conveniently forget about that in years to come
    I think he will be a club legend, but I think people will long remember his nasty streak, and I don't believe he will ever be heralded in the same way people like Bryan Robson, Bobby Charlton and maybe even Paul Scholes (to pick 3 players who played similar roles) will be. To me, he lost it the day he went in on Haaland, which summed up perfectly what Keane the man stood for. However - and remember, I cannot state again I did not like Keane - I do think he was the heartbeat of the team for a good few seasons, and the youngsters that came through around that time - Beckham, Scholes, Butt etc - all owe him a debt. I think he recognised that there was more goal scoring talent in Beckham and Scholes - Scholes scored over 20 in one season alongside Keane.

The Juventus game will always stand out, and maybe what Ballack did was more noticeable, I don't recall the match because heck, I'm not German, but Keane took that match by the scruff of the neck from what looked like a disastrous position and pushed United through to the final. By any standards it was a memorable occasion for any United fan - and there's one or two of us about

I'd just like to add I'm not arguing any point you make, just maybe giving the perspective of a relatively normal United fan (i.e. one not from Manchester .... before someone else says it )

Thanks
    Karma Level

Do you agree that Roy Keane is a quitter and to some extent a failure?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast