Sharing my external drive attached to my XBox 360

Thread: Sharing my external drive attached to my XBox 360

DejaVu said:

Default Sharing my external drive attached to my XBox 360

Is this possible?

My computer is connected to a router (as is my XBox).

Can I access the external drive attached to my XBox 360 through my router?
    Just makes it easier than unplugging it evertime I need to update the drives contents.

The reason I'm asking is cos my 360 is more used as a media centre than a console and stores everything on the drive to access it.

I dont really want to stream from my PC as I dont want to leave it on all the time. Transfering to my External drive would be far easier.

Plus, can AVI's, MP3's JPG's etc be stored on the interal drive on my XBox Elite without having the stuff on CD first?

willp2003 said:

Default Re: Sharing my external drive attached to my XBox 360

you can't store your films on the xbox itself, and if you wanted to plug the external HDD direct into the xbox you have to format as FAT32, and then there is a limit on the partition size (i think).
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

DejaVu said:

Quote Originally Posted by willp2003 View Post
    you can't store your films on the xbox itself, and if you wanted to plug the external HDD direct into the xbox you have to format as FAT32, and then there is a limit on the partition size (i think).
    Yep, you cant use NTFS. Mine is formatted to HFS+ (Mac FS) and works a treat.

I'm just hoping there is a way of transferring to it via Telnet/FTP or other program?

braymond said:

dont think so mate cos its not plugged into your router and as such is not on the network, its just local to your 360, so pc wont see it

freakzilla said:

i dont think this is possible, maybe the only way you could do it is using a Nas drive but even then i dont think the xbox would recognise it unless it was mapped on the pc and then your just aswell streaming but you dont want to do that.