Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Windows 7 taskbar

I think the codebase is very simular to vista, dispite what they say, so I'd expect it to act in a simular way to vista.
    -= tom999 =-
    tonight the milky bars are on me

Thanks
    Karma Level

do you think microsoft have finally admitted to the fact that there are not only some macs in the redmond house but also that perhaps, just perhaps, they could possibly look at the interface it uses (and hasn't changed for a few years) and try to see if they can widowz it up a bit?
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

I read today that 'In order for Microsoft to be able to beat Google, they must become Google'. I suppose the same can be true for Apple...
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Waka View Post
    Here's an iso of the latest build if anyone wants it. Haven't used it myself but the comments on newzbin seem positive (10 days old).

W.

cheers waka m8 i just grabbed this,,,will try it thurs or fri as tonight is my last shift till next year so should find the time..lol..

will let you know what its like.

thanks....

wakadoo.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tom999 View Post
    I think the codebase is very simular to vista, dispite what they say, so I'd expect it to act in a simular way to vista.
    I've got to say that I have tried the latest build on a laptop with only 512meg memory. I have to say I was quite impressed. I didn't bother trying to put in proper drivers but the default ones worked just fine. The system seemed quick and responsive... I was also impressed with the graphics. Even though 7 had just given me a default graphics driver with no 3D... it defaulted to 1024x768 and it was lush and it was speedy.

Yeah, it looks a lot like vista... so don't expect any wow factors. however, for reason stated above I think its very different underneath. To be honest it has to be... unless MS release a new OS that isn't a resource hog they are gonna loose loads of customers to the likes of ubuntu.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    I've got to say that I have tried the latest build on a laptop with only 512meg memory. I have to say I was quite impressed. I didn't bother trying to put in proper drivers but the default ones worked just fine. The system seemed quick and responsive... I was also impressed with the graphics. Even though 7 had just given me a default graphics driver with no 3D... it defaulted to 1024x768 and it was lush and it was speedy.

Yeah, it looks a lot like vista... so don't expect any wow factors. however, for reason stated above I think its very different underneath. To be honest it has to be... unless MS release a new OS that isn't a resource hog they are gonna loose loads of customers to the likes of ubuntu.

how much of the 512 was it using after the install..

what hd space did it use..

could this be good for all the webbook users out there who want / need the latest op system

thanx MsDG..

the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tom999 View Post
    only an alpha has been leaked, first beta due jan so prob best to wait till then if you are interested in giving it a test run,

it's being billed by MS as having much less bloat, lets hope that's true
    I think that may just have something to to with the anti-trust cases microsoft keep ketting slapped on the wrists for... lol

It should just do a minimal install then deliver apps/components on first use. Smaller footprint, quicker install/boot times, everyone's happy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

just putting it on now...

will let you all know

the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

ok were in...

starts the same as vista with a little twist to the logo....no faster nor slower..

1st thing you notice is the taskbar icons to the left are quite large and are not the same as vista, the show desktop is at the very right had side in a little oblong that was a bugger to find..

desktop was bare as in a vista setup and 1st thing was to check the device manager....all driver present and correct, popped in the vista mobo disk and it intalled without a hitch (well after i turned of the annoying uac control) not that it installed much other than the n force stuff.

ok i needed an antivirus quick just to cover me.....avg 8 (free one) slipped on without a hitch and great i am flying here with no software issues..

ran the performance test and got a low score for the hd...weird as its a sata one, oh the scores are now 1 to 7.9..

problems i have..

sidebar dont work......thats it as of yet..

it has internet explorer 8 on it...worked ok...same as 7 at 1st glance..

installed it on an older pc with ..

200gb sata hd
    4400 am2 chip
    2 gb kingston ddr2 (single stick)
    pci-e 7600gt..(scored 5.9 on the performance test lol)
    msi am2 cheapo bord.

used 10 gig to install with all the drivers and a few prgms put on..winrar etc
    using 30% of mem to sit there ..

ok so few things i have noticed along the way, things are laid out slightly diff to vista so youre gonna have to find em again, its not a bad layout though a right click on the desktop or computer will navigate you to everywhere, there is a bit of a help centre (action centre) that is quite good and could be promising if its built up more.

best bit.

home networking/sharing...bastard of a job aint it if your new or not familiar with networks, how many times have you seen the dont have permission then the get fooked off donk sound lol, well when you create a network it gives you a code, yes that all important code that password that you never set in the 1st fookin place is now handed to you on setup so you cand use it on your other pcs for instant access..

right i got 30 days to play with this fooker now so i am off..

hope you got a little insight from this.

cheers

the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

and the sidebar doesnt work cos there isnt one by the looks of this

Peeking at the desktop is particularly significant, because the desktop is now where gadgets live. Because people are increasingly using laptops, taking up a big chunk of space for the sidebar isn't really viable; Microsoft has responded by scrapping the sidebar and putting the gadgets onto the desktop itself. Gadgets are supposed to provide at-a-glance information; peeking at the desktop, therefore, becomes essential for using gadgets.

the same thing?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

lol, now I wonder where they got that idea from....

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

For those who might be interested, beta 1 is now up in the usual places

look for 7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD as easlier versions had a corrupt file
    -= tom999 =-

Thanks
    Karma Level

Again for those who are interested

watermark remover and re-arm (used the watermark removed worked fine, not tried re-arm yet)

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1738801/1590852/
    -= tom999 =-

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Downloading now, I see mixed-posts online about installing to Virtual PC 07 ... has anyone here managed it?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Downloading now, I see mixed-posts online about installing to Virtual PC 07 ... has anyone here managed it?
    Installed in Virtual PC 07 fine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Only used windows 7 for a tiny bit so far but i have not found it as good as people are making out.

I find that it groups by default to just one single icon to be a mistake but that can be easily changed. I did think that i could handle the grouping but there is still one thing that doesn't use tabs but often has multiple windows and thats explorer.
    I think that open windows should go over to the right or left so that it is easier to tell them apart or at least have an option to seperate them. I see the point in not having the icon and the task like it was previously but i think when you click an icon it could move to an open part.
    If you put small icons on then the box around it is too big IMO.
    show desktop does not seem reponsive enougth when you hover over, it takes about a second on my comp and that to me is a long time (I'm ready for the jokes )
    So far i have not found it any more responsive than vista but having said that my comp seems extremly responsive on vista.
    There are good points but i think everyone has already said about them so i thought i would tell you the bad points at least the bad points i am getting.

P.S only had short time on it will post again when i've had a bit longer on it. Also i do know this is a beta and so this does not change my mind on if to get it or not and hopefully some of these issues will be addressed before then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12