Fraud

Thread: Fraud

  1. AxE's Avatar

    AxE said:

    Default Fraud

    Got had the other day. Had no money in my account at all when i went to use a cash machine, got a mini statement from the hole in the wall and there was a few amounts taken out that i didnt recognise. Went into the bank yesterday morning they said it was for Vodafone topup, 1. I aint on Vodadone 2. i dont topup coz im on contract. Rang TSB fraud people up said their sorting it. What gets me is that someone has used your card to top their phone up but because of privacy laws or watever they wont give the mobile number out.
     
  2. DJAd's Avatar

    DJAd said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    If it's a pay&go it could belong to anyone. When I used to topup my O2 phone using a card it just asked for postcode digits and certain card info I think. Easy information for someone to get hold of, even easier if they know you.......
     
  3. AxE's Avatar

    AxE said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    Dont think it be anyone i know i dont leave my card lying about and doubt any of my mates would do something like that anyway.
     
  4. Brock's Avatar

    Brock said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    Strange. This is exactly what has just happened to a friend of my sister. Don't know which bank or mobile phone company it is though off hand.
     
  5. BertRoot's Avatar

    BertRoot said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    Had the same thing myself a couple of years back and it was nearly a grand on topups on Vodafone in Italy. There were also peoples phone bills paid in Italy as well. Got all the money back but was fucking annoying when I was trying to buy stuff and my card was getting refused.

     
  6. DJ Overdose's Avatar

    DJ Overdose said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    /me Checks bank statement online...

    I suppose that it is easy to do. You'll just need someone's credit card bill. But should think you still need the cvs number and expiries. Someone could skim the card or even photograph it and get that data tho. Then they just need the post code...

    I thought you needed to register cards before using them tho, how that works I don't know as also on contract mobile.


    DJ OD
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
     
  7. evilsatan's Avatar

    evilsatan said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    They mostly seem to use card details for gambling sites (whether they own them or it launders the money I don't know), petrol or top-ups. I suppose they are the safest to use them for really. Luckily enough I havn't been done yet but I wouldn't be suprised if they get me sometime.

     
  8. lloydi's Avatar

    lloydi said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    yeah petrol and top ups are common because they can use pay at pump with a cloned card so no interference from staff as well as topup mobile phones from cashpoints, same again no risk for them
     
  9. AxE's Avatar

    AxE said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    Took me last few hundred quid so got fuck all money and fuck all petrol. Cant think how they would of got my details.
     
  10. beerman's Avatar

    beerman said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    I was in a car park in Reading not so long ago and noticed I could pay by card so popped it in. Thankyou for using xxx car parks was the message on the display, it spat out my ticket, a receipt and my card. I didn't type in my pin and have checked my statement and the transaction went through ok. Just shows how fucking shite the whole credit card system is. It could have been a stolen card or a card I'd just found in the street.
     
  11. Soulassassin's Avatar

    Soulassassin said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    This has happend four times to me now, twice for O2 topups and twice with foreign gambling site. (and another two that were pending we got stopped early) Always got money back but it is a fuck on. Personally I think its just when you order summit like on the phone the person just writes some details down and either sells the info or uses it him/her self.
     
  12. evilsatan's Avatar

    evilsatan said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    I was in a car park in Reading not so long ago and noticed I could pay by card so popped it in. Thankyou for using xxx car parks was the message on the display, it spat out my ticket, a receipt and my card. I didn't type in my pin and have checked my statement and the transaction went through ok. Just shows how fucking shite the whole credit card system is. It could have been a stolen card or a card I'd just found in the street.
    Not only that, imagine if a scammer installed a fake front and reader like they do on the cash points, imagine how many cards go through that machine in a day! Talk about mass harvesting of details. Not sure how it took money without a pin for authentication though...

     
  13. blacksheep's Avatar

    blacksheep said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    I was in a car park in Reading not so long ago and noticed I could pay by card so popped it in. Thankyou for using xxx car parks was the message on the display, it spat out my ticket, a receipt and my card. I didn't type in my pin and have checked my statement and the transaction went through ok. Just shows how fucking shite the whole credit card system is. It could have been a stolen card or a card I'd just found in the street.

    Tescos self scan tills used to be like that - no pin no., just swipe the card.
     
  14. AxE's Avatar

    AxE said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    Thought all this chip and pin stuff was supposed to prevent fraud i know of 12 friends its happened too.
     
  15. Over Carl's Avatar

    Over Carl said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Not only that, imagine if a scammer installed a fake front and reader like they do on the cash points, imagine how many cards go through that machine in a day! Talk about mass harvesting of details. Not sure how it took money without a pin for authentication though...
    Within the last 7 days, I've seen a shop accepting signatures for card payment, sorry can't remember where it was.
     
  16. ming's Avatar

    ming said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    funny enough a few years ago i was trying to get a credit card , for the first time. couldn`t get one and thought it was because i was self employed but thought it was funny because i always paid cash and had no debts.
    check with experian and lo and behold i had quite a few and a american express card maxed out , all in my name . got it sorted but the CC company wouldn`t give me any details at all, just that they knew it wasn`t me and they were on a big trail. got it taken off my credit report so that was good, but i was livid and make sure everything is shreaded now. thing was the date of birth wasn`t right at all,
     
  17. KLL8's Avatar

    KLL8 said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    I am in the middle of trying to sort out a 30 top up that was taken out of my visa card. The best thing is I haven't used my card for a long time. I know it isn't a lot of money but it is the principal of the thing. I have noticed that when we have been to the cinema in Staines they dont take a pin number when you buy your tickets from the machine. That is so dodgy, Come to think of it I think that was where I last used my Visa card........ I wonder ....
     
  18. Northernbloke's Avatar

    Northernbloke said:

    Default Re: Fraud

    My card on our joint account got used last year - funny thing is I have never ever used the card or had it out of my wallet (don't even have a pin for it) - Missus does all the shopping etc. and she's the only one that really uses the joint account - Bank (HSBC) insisted it must have been someone in our family or someone else who had access to the card. Bank werre adamant it was my card and not the missus's because of the different issue numbers

    Personally I'm sure the details came from the bank themselves, probably from one of their nice foreign call centres but I'll never be able to prove it - they refunded all the missing money the same day and got me new card withing 48 hours though - only reason we still have accounts with em