Buying new TV - have n00b questions :D

Thread: Buying new TV - have n00b questions :D

TheManWho said:

Newbie Buying new TV - have n00b questions :D

WTF, I've no idea when all this shite passed me by - but it did and I'm fastly becoming my father. Won't be long before I'm posting about how to use a DVD remote

Anyway, let me quickly and simply break this down.

Gonna buy a new TV - after lots of reading up this took my fancy [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Initially I thought it would be a sound investment to get a 1080p for my PS3, but after reading reviews - I began to wonder what 1080p will look like with our digital TV signal, xbox elite & DVD?

Is it going to start up/down/bumscaling the picture, or will it look no different?

Or should I not waste my money, and instead get a 1080i (hahahahah like I know the difference between interlaced and progressive scans)?

Thanks,

Cavey Caveman

Nibb said:

Default Re: Buying new TV - have n00b questions :D

Get a 1080p its as simple as that.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

sidewinder said:

Look up 1080p Panasonic PZ80 model you wont go wrong

newnesy said:

I bought one of these sony's about a month ago and can recommend it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

rookie said:

if this isnt allowed mods please delete.

go to avforums have a look on there as they have lots of reviews etc
    then once you now a model you like pricerunner isyour friend

Mr.James said:

1080i suffers from awful tearing of edges when the camera moves quickly from side to side (a.k.a strafing in first person shooter games) vs 720p or 1080p.

All hd teles will make normal freeview/sky digital look a slight bit worse than smaller resolution tvs. this is coz they have to stretch the picture over a larger number of pixels (upscaling) and that process can't ever be perfect. your xbox and ps3 can kick out a true 1080p signal so they'll look mint.

Get 1080p and watch transformers (2007 version) blu ray. It's stunning!

chrismaher2007 said:

ive a question to add to this lads

im getting a new telly but will 99% of the time watching basic sky digital .

should i go for plasma or lcd?

Nibb said:

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    if this isnt allowed mods please delete.

go to avforums have a look on there as they have lots of reviews etc
    then once you now a model you like pricerunner isyour friend
    Of course its allowed m8....stick up some links if you think they will help!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

blaggard said:

I have a 40" Sony Bravia 1080P/24 and it's the tits. My SD feeds look better than they did on my previous 720p Tosh so I guess the electronics on the Sony are better. Bluray at 1080P/24 frame is mind boggling!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

blaggard said:

Quote Originally Posted by chrismaher2007 View Post

I can't see it making much difference, the picture quality on recent LCD and Plasma screens are pretty much the same. I expect there are some extreme high models which people will disagree about.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Mr.James said:

Quote Originally Posted by chrismaher2007 View Post

i'd search around lots of reviews to see how the SD upscalers compare. go down currys and ask them to switch the displayed signal to SD and just walk about and choose the one that looks best to you. then come home and find a cheaper deal on the internet.

but remember that although now you only watch basic sky, things will march on and sky will probably in the next few years ship HD as standard...

Nibb said:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    i'd search around lots of reviews to see how the SD upscalers compare. go down currys and ask them to switch the displayed signal to SD and just walk about and choose the one that looks best to you. then come home and find a cheaper deal on the internet.

but remember that although now you only watch basic sky, things will march on and sky will probably in the next few years ship HD as standard...
    Just be careful to bear in mind that all TVs on display in Currys/ Comet and the like will have their brightness/ contrast turned right up to attract your eye!

Its an artificial situation and they way well not look as good when they are turned down to sensible levels.
    Karl Pilkington

beerman said:

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    Just be careful to bear in mind that all TVs on display in Currys/ Comet and the like will have their brightness/ contrast turned right up to attract your eye!

Its an artificial situation and they way well not look as good when they are turned down to sensible levels.
    Yeah Panasonics have a mode called "dynamic" Which has the brightness turned up to 3/4 full and the contrast on full. Makes them look great in the shops but not what you'd want to run it on all the time as it looks too bright when you get it home.