thinking about upgrading pc

Thread: thinking about upgrading pc

rusty said:

Default thinking about upgrading pc

hi all
    thinking about up grading old pc (it works ok, its a K7) with all ide connections
    and that is the problem, i like to have 2 hard drives a dvd and a writer on my pc
    but on these new boards the is only 1 ide connection, so it means buying 2 sata hard drives pushig the price up of the up grade
    was looking at AMD 2 as cpu don't do any gaming on it, just the bog standard stuff, few letters bit of email, etc
    i have a laptop as my main computer, so don't ant to spend lots, i was origanaly thinks it would cost around 160 for m/b, cpu, memory, now with sata drives it looks more like 250
    any tips please

Ganty said:

Default Re: thinking about upgrading pc

Just get a SATA to IDE converter mate if you're happy with the size of your HD's

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

face said:

thats probably the best suggestion but they do seem expensive for that price (23 if im looking at the right ones) you might as well replace your dvd drives with sata ones 14.89 each

Ganty said:

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    thats probably the best suggestion but they do seem expensive for that price (23 if im looking at the right ones) you might as well replace your dvd drives with sata ones 14.89 each
    Maplins is a little expensive. You can get them for less than a tenner. Ring Shop Neo or look around.

blacksheep said:

or get a pci ide card - fairly cheap. Do you need 2 hdd though?

rusty said:

thanks guys
    looks like if i upgade i may as well go all the way and get some sata drives
    but which ones
    i do copy some discs, so i need 2 dvd drives, should 1 be a sata drive so they are on diferent "ribbons" (its always said have 1 dvd on ide 0 the other on ide 1)
    i like to have 2 hdd's so i can back stuff up (just my way)

B.I.G. said:

If you don't want to throw your ide drives away i got a couple of these many moons ago and they work fine.They'll work on hdd's and optical drives.

face said:

if you do go for the dvd drives just get two of the ones a showed you sata works by having each drive on a seperate interface so you can have both drives sata no problem. However i would probably go with big's suggestion

rusty said:

thanks guy, will be looking at BIG suggestion
    that appears to do what need cheaply