Acer Aspire One

Thread: Acer Aspire One

  1. mattress's Avatar

    mattress said:

    Default Acer Aspire One

    Hi guys.

    My mate has bought his daughter the above netbook but the numbnut got one with Linux on it. Anyway, his daughter has no idea how to use it and Christmas is only a few days away! I suggested installing XP on it.....he agreed.

    So, here I am, asking for advice on the matter. What would be the best version to use and the best method to install it (ext. dvd rom or usb stick)?

    cheers and have a good holiday.
     
  2. ZX7R's Avatar

    ZX7R said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    I'm not sure but there is an 'aspire one' forum here. There's probably quote a few posts that can help.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    I have the asus eee 901 and did just that - installed xp on the linux model via memory stick and a stripped down version of xp.
     
  3. mattress's Avatar

    mattress said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    I'll take a look at the link. cheers.
     
  4. beerman's Avatar

    beerman said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Try Nlite to strip down xp yourself.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    You can also inject the drivers into it
     
  5. mattress's Avatar

    mattress said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Quote Originally Posted by ZX7R View Post
    I'm not sure but there is an 'aspire one' forum here. There's probably quote a few posts that can help.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    I have the asus eee 901 and did just that - installed xp on the linux model via memory stick and a stripped down version of xp.
    I took a look there but it seems like many are having numerous problems when going with lite versions of XP. I wonder if I can install the full version, obviously ensuring I have all the AAO drivers at hand?
     
  6. mattress's Avatar

    mattress said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Try Nlite to strip down xp yourself.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    You can also inject the drivers into it
    Cheers beerman but I have trouble stripping wallpaper!
     
  7. wakadoo's Avatar

    wakadoo said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Quote Originally Posted by mattress View Post
    I took a look there but it seems like many are having numerous problems when going with lite versions of XP. I wonder if I can install the full version, obviously ensuring I have all the AAO drivers at hand?

    install the full one m8 ..

    lets be fair , when xp came out in 2001 your pc wouldnt have been half as powerfull as this acer is now.

    put the full version on it as it should handle it no probs.

    System Requirements

    • Min Processor Type Intel Pentium - 233 MHz
    • Min RAM Size 64 MB
    • Min Hard Drive Space 1.5 GB
    think you got them req covered lol...
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?
     
  8. casio's Avatar

    casio said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Quote Originally Posted by mattress View Post
    I took a look there but it seems like many are having numerous problems when going with lite versions of XP. I wonder if I can install the full version, obviously ensuring I have all the AAO drivers at hand?
    yeah you can i chucked an oem copy ive got on it and it ran fine, i did have to get the wifi drivers but its an atheros chipset so its not going to take you long,
     
  9. mattress's Avatar

    mattress said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Quote Originally Posted by wakadoo View Post
    install the full one m8 ..

    lets be fair , when xp came out in 2001 your pc wouldnt have been half as powerfull as this acer is now.

    put the full version on it as it should handle it no probs.

    System Requirements

    • Min Processor Type Intel Pentium - 233 MHz
    • Min RAM Size 64 MB
    • Min Hard Drive Space 1.5 GB

    think you got them req covered lol...
    yeah, you're right mate. I don't envisage any problems as long as I get the drivers together before I start! I may even try to install via a usb memory stick.
     
  10. DJAd's Avatar

    DJAd said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Sorry to hijack the post but it's kind of relevant. How do I go about copying to XP to a USB stick so I can boot and install from it?
     
  11. wakadoo's Avatar

    wakadoo said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Quote Originally Posted by mattress View Post
    yeah, you're right mate. I don't envisage any problems as long as I get the drivers together before I start! I may even try to install via a usb memory stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJAd View Post
    Sorry to hijack the post but it's kind of relevant. How do I go about copying to XP to a USB stick so I can boot and install from it?


    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?
     
  12. mattress's Avatar

    mattress said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Quote Originally Posted by DJAd View Post
    Sorry to hijack the post but it's kind of relevant. How do I go about copying to XP to a USB stick so I can boot and install from it?
    I ain't 100% but I think it's just a case of copying all the XP files to the usb stick, enabling usb boot in the bios, plugging in the stick and starting the machine.

    *edit: look up
     
  13. cobra111's Avatar

    cobra111 said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    When I did it, I copied the files from thwe XP cd to a folder on the hard drive then used USB_Multiboot_10 to create a bootable image on the usb stick, then it was just a normal install, took about 30 minutes to create the image.

    Steve
     
  14. DJAd's Avatar

    DJAd said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Cheers guys I'll check it out. I have a XP Pro CD with SP2. Is there anyway I can combine SP3 and any other stuff to the image. Saves me then having to install SP3 once it's installed.
     
  15. casio's Avatar

    casio said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    use this to make your usb images and then install from them it makes it piss easy and takes care of everything if your going installing linux it'll even download the iso for you, just plug your usb drive in, tell it where the iso is and it'll do the rest

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
     
  16. mattress's Avatar

    mattress said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    use this to make your usb images and then install from them it makes it piss easy and takes care of everything if your going installing linux it'll even download the iso for you, just plug your usb drive in, tell it where the iso is and it'll do the rest

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Right, I've got the Windows XP image (.iso) and used Unetbootin to make a bootable image on a usb memory stick. The Acer Aspire One has Linux currently installed, so it's just a case of shutting down the netbook, inserting the usb stick and starting it up? Will I need to go to the bios and enable USB boot?

    Also, does anyone know one place where I can get all the required XP drivers for the Acer?

    cheers and thanks for the help guys

    Mattress
     
  17. mattress's Avatar

    mattress said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Quote Originally Posted by DJAd View Post
    Cheers guys I'll check it out. I have a XP Pro CD with SP2. Is there anyway I can combine SP3 and any other stuff to the image. Saves me then having to install SP3 once it's installed.

    Just PM'd you.
     
  18. mattress's Avatar

    mattress said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Found this site:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    It looks like all the drivers are there. I hope!
     
  19. casio's Avatar

    casio said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    just press f12 as it boots to decide what you want to boot from (usb,hdd,cdrom etc) and your done (other than formatting the drive to get maximum space)

    EDIT if theres any drivers you need and cant find and you need them tonight pm me i'll keep checking till about 1ish and if ive got them i'll either email them to you or get you the link i used for them
     
  20. mattress's Avatar

    mattress said:

    Default Re: Acer Aspire One

    Thanks Casio for your help. I'll let you know how I get on.