Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Police set to step up hacking of home PCs

Police set to step up hacking of home PCs

David Leppard

THE Home Office has quietly adopted a new plan to allow police across Britain routinely to hack into people’s personal computers without a warrant.
    The move, which follows a decision by the European Union’s council of ministers in Brussels, has angered civil liberties groups and opposition MPs. They described it as a sinister extension of the surveillance state which drives “a coach and horses” through privacy laws.
    The hacking is known as “remote searching”. It allows police or MI5 officers who may be hundreds of miles away to examine covertly the hard drive of someone’s PC at his home, office or hotel room.
    Material gathered in this way includes the content of all e-mails, web-browsing habits and instant messaging.

Under the Brussels edict, police across the EU have been given the green light to expand the implementation of a rarely used power involving warrantless intrusive surveillance of private property. The strategy will allow French, German and other EU forces to ask British officers to hack into someone’s UK computer and pass over any material gleaned.
    A remote search can be granted if a senior officer says he “believes” that it is “proportionate” and necessary to prevent or detect serious crime — defined as any offence attracting a jail sentence of more than three years.
    However, opposition MPs and civil liberties groups say that the broadening of such intrusive surveillance powers should be regulated by a new act of parliament and court warrants.
    They point out that in contrast to the legal safeguards for searching a suspect’s home, police undertaking a remote search do not need to apply to a magistrates’ court for a warrant.
    Shami Chakrabarti, director of Liberty, the human rights group, said she would challenge the legal basis of the move. “These are very intrusive powers – as intrusive as someone busting down your door and coming into your home,” she said.
    “The public will want this to be controlled by new legislation and judicial authorisation. Without those safeguards it’s a devastating blow to any notion of personal privacy.”
    She said the move had parallels with the warrantless police search of the House of Commons office of Damian Green, the Tory MP: “It’s like giving police the power to do a Damian Green every day but to do it without anyone even knowing you were doing it.”
    Richard Clayton, a researcher at Cambridge University’s computer laboratory, said that remote searches had been possible since 1994, although they were very rare. An amendment to the Computer Misuse Act 1990 made hacking legal if it was authorised and carried out by the state.
    He said the authorities could break into a suspect’s home or office and insert a “key-logging” device into an individual’s computer. This would collect and, if necessary, transmit details of all the suspect’s keystrokes. “It’s just like putting a secret camera in someone’s living room,” he said.
    Police might also send an e-mail to a suspect’s computer. The message would include an attachment that contained a virus or “malware”. If the attachment was opened, the remote search facility would be covertly activated. Alternatively, police could park outside a suspect’s home and hack into his or her hard drive using the wireless network.
    Police say that such methods are necessary to investigate suspects who use cyberspace to carry out crimes. These include paedophi1es, internet fraudsters, identity thieves and terrorists.
    The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) said such intrusive surveillance was closely regulated under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act. A spokesman said police were already carrying out a small number of these operations which were among 194 clandestine searches last year of people’s homes, offices and hotel bedrooms.
    “To be a valid authorisation, the officer giving it must believe that when it is given it is necessary to prevent or detect serious crime and [the] action is proportionate to what it seeks to achieve,” Acpo said.
    Dominic Grieve, the shadow home secretary, agreed that the development may benefit law enforcement. But he added: “The exercise of such intrusive powers raises serious privacy issues. The government must explain how they would work in practice and what safeguards will be in place to prevent abuse.”
    The Home Office said it was working with other EU states to develop details of the proposals.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5439604.ece

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Police set to step up hacking of home PCs

thats a bit presumptive...

what if you arent a moron?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Let's be brutally fucking honest, they've been doing it illegally for years already. This will just be legalising it. And I'd like to see them get through my fucking protection...
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm sure big corporations have something to say to this as well, and who trusts the state or a government official?

*EDIT, just realised the subject said "Home PC's"
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

reminds me of some windows built in backdoors,...can;'t remember details..but there were 2 of them... hopefully someone will remember.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well we all know that if you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to hide

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    I'm sure big corporations have something to say to this as well, and who trusts the state or a government official?

*EDIT, just realised the subject said "Home PC's"
    Wrong....

"examine covertly the hard drive of someone’s PC at his home, office or hotel room."
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Am I the only one thinking they must have a lot more high tech methods they aren't letting on to, or are they really that dumb?

Thanks
    Karma Level

fbi fake website, paedophile list, too many to prosecute.. ring any bells..
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neo2810 View Post
    Wrong....

"examine covertly the hard drive of someone’s PC at his home, office or hotel room."
    Well, in that case it won't happen, corporations would be absolutely insane to go along with something like that. Well, unless of course they are asked permission for someone who is suspected for a more serious offenece.

This certainly doesn't help companies to stay in the UK, hello India. I wouldn't trust Jesus to access my work confidential laptop.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Am I the only one thinking they must have a lot more high tech methods they aren't letting on to, or are they really that dumb?
    Most of the networking technology has open standards so I'm not sure how they could circumvent that without it being a matter of public record. As regards propriatory software such as an OS, if your network is secure they shouldn't be able to get access to it.

As suggested in the article, all the common methods are already well known, such as trojans, wireless hacking and keyloggers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

lets all just hope they start uploading all the good stuff, for us honest members of the sharing community

Guy Fawkes come back, your country needs you!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I`m not worried by this...i have no noncey stuff on my PC, but they are welcome to share my huge collection of titwank movies..!
    "God is a comedian, playing to an audience who are too afraid to laugh...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wonkyfox View Post
    but they are welcome to share my huge collection of titwank movies..!
    LOL!! Does that go for the rest of us too!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Linux BT3, I thinks.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Most of the networking technology has open standards so I'm not sure how they could circumvent that without it being a matter of public record. As regards propriatory software such as an OS, if your network is secure they shouldn't be able to get access to it.

As suggested in the article, all the common methods are already well known, such as trojans, wireless hacking and keyloggers.
    Never seen a network yet that was secure from someone inside it's security defences - did you miss the bit in the article about :-

An amendment to the Computer Misuse Act 1990 made hacking legal if it was authorised and carried out by the state.
    He said the authorities could break into a suspect’s home or office and insert a “key-logging” device into an individual’s computer.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke View Post
    Never seen a network yet that was secure from someone inside it's security defences - did you miss the bit in the article about :-

I agree.

There is no way you can keep the Goverment out of your home computer. unless your not on the internet. true story.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy_1976 View Post
    LOL!! Does that go for the rest of us too!!!
    of course..but only if you wear a tit shaped helmet...
    "God is a comedian, playing to an audience who are too afraid to laugh...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wonkyfox View Post
    of course..but only if you wear a tit shaped helmet...
    Yeah, just like in Blackadder II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke View Post
    I was referring to attacks from outside. When all said and done the only safe computer is the one thats switched off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast