Close

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Woman Dies Of Rabies In Belfast

I wonder when this terrible plague will eventually get a foot hold on our shores

A woman in Northern Ireland who contracted rabies while abroad has died in hospital in Belfast.

Lisa McMurray was a regular visitor to Africa

Lisa McMurray had been in a critical condition in the intensive care unit of Belfast's Royal Victoria Hospital since the condition was diagnosed last month.
    She had been in Africa a number of times over the last couple of years but began to feel unwell after being home for several months.
    It is thought she contracted the virus, which is invariably fatal, after being bitten by a rabid dog.
    It is believed she may have been infected as far back as December 2006, while working in an animal sanctuary in South Africa.
    She sent home emails at the time detailing how she had been scratched while separating two dogs.

Rabies Facts

There have been only 23 cases of rabies in the UK since 1946, the last in 2005, and all infections were acquired abroad.
    The last case of human rabies involving a dog bite suffered in the UK was in 1902.

One of the animals had to be put down after it started foaming at the mouth.
    Last March, she returned briefly to the sanctuary, and some months after returning home started to feel unwell.
    A statement from her brothers said: "We are extremely proud not only of all she achieved in life but also of the bravery with which she fought her illness.
    "Her courage was inspiring and typical of the passionate and determined way in which she led her life."
    Ms McMurray, who was in her 30s, worked at the Cats Protection NI Adoption Centre at Dundonald.

Source:http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...15198551?f=rss

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Woman Dies Of Rabies In Belfast

Africa my arse. It was BB Leo out on the prowl at night with his diseased little fella.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Woman Dies Of Rabies In Belfast

Exactly hes frothing at the mouth most nights!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington