Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default I WANT XP BACK :(

Anyone know a way to install XP on top of vista, I bought a new laptop with Vista Basic on it. i hate vista and now want to upgrade to XP.

I dont like doing this because the laptop comes with vista there for ill lose the vista restore partition etc...

~d3xt0r

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: I WANT XP BACK :(

Do you have something like a usb hdd?

If so I would image everything you have onto there, then wipe and format so you can restore the image if you wish. (Stuff like ghost or acronis is good for imaging)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Do you have something like a usb hdd?

If so I would image everything you have onto there, then wipe and format so you can restore the image if you wish. (Stuff like ghost or acronis is good for imaging)
    Ive got a 500GB External USB Drive, i will backup all files i want to there or i might just format and just backup the essentials as i horde alot of shit lol. Or should i try Windows 7 beta? or it that going to be just as shit?

~d3xt0r

Thanks
    Karma Level

STOP. What I meant by imaging isn't just copying files over. Imaging is a process where you copy a whole drive or partition to a file where it is a perfect 1:1 copy.

If you've imaged your current setup, you can then wipe your hdd, do what you want, then when you get bored, you could either restore your image to revert your hdd to exactly where it is now before wiping etc, or for example you could only restore the recovery partition and do a clean install/recover from there.

Re: 7 - there are a couple of threads going on it at the moment, consencus seems to be that most people are surprised (and in a good way).

Thanks
    Karma Level

well i wouldn't run the beta as your main OS. Since you give no reaon to why you don't like vista i can't really say if you will like 7 or not. If its performance then make sure you update install the latest drivers and give it a few days before deleting.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    STOP. What I meant by imaging isn't just copying files over. Imaging is a process where you copy a whole drive or partition to a file where it is a perfect 1:1 copy.

If you've imaged your current setup, you can then wipe your hdd, do what you want, then when you get bored, you could either restore your image to revert your hdd to exactly where it is now before wiping etc, or for example you could only restore the recovery partition and do a clean install/recover from there.

Re: 7 - there are a couple of threads going on it at the moment, consencus seems to be that most people are surprised (and in a good way).
    I know what imaging is lol, although the way i worded it it seemed it thought it was copy paste, yeah ive imaged before but id rather just copy paste i can always install vista again fresh if need be but i prefer XP. since people are supprised by W7 in a good way i might give that a shot, Vista is too blown up for my, it whores my ram and ive only got 1GB it blowts my HDD and just annoys the hell out of me

Cheers for your idea's

~d3xt0r

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    well i wouldn't run the beta as your main OS. Since you give no reaon to why you don't like vista i can't really say if you will like 7 or not. If its performance then make sure you update install the latest drivers and give it a few days before deleting.
    Speed, Size. etc. and when i run a program its like Click Continue or OK about 3 times before the fucker opens every time i open a new prog or move a file or do anything. i am set as an administrator but most things it says you need admin privs so i have to click ok, why doesnt it know im admin and just accept in the background. lots about it annoy me

~d3xt0r

Thanks
    Karma Level

ram wise windows 7 does seem to use less so it may be a good way to go.

Thanks
    Karma Level

you can turn uac off in vista and it does not bother me much anymore as im not installing stuff. But once again windows 7 is better in this respect.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Whats UAC?

~d3xt0r

Thanks
    Karma Level

Think it stood for user access control or something - basically all those annoying prompts asking you to confirm whether you want the pc to do something you told it to do 1/2 a second ago.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yep thats right its user account control just go to control panel and type in uac and it will give the option to turn it on or off. In 7 it gives a slider and by default its a lower level than vista

Thanks
    Karma Level

you can't 'upgrade' to a worse operating system... you have to downgrade... coz lets face it, once you get vista configured properly you'll think xp's shite and never want to go back... you may say it's bloated and uses too much ram but that's evolution... xp was exaclty the same compared with 2000/me!

first thing you need to do is get rid of that annoying pop up shite. click 'start' and then type in the 'start search' box (which works the same way as xp's 'run') cmd and press <ctrl> + <shift> + <enter> and this will open a command prompt with administrator access levels. now type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter, now close the window.

next go to control panel > user accounts and family safety > user accounts... you'll now be able to see the 'administrator' account and this baby works in the same way an xp admin account would i.e. no annoying pop ups!!

remove you old account and rename this hidden administrator to be your replace your old account... now log in as this account... (restore your files if need be...) job done.

if you need more ram there's a bunch of services that can be switched off but the list will need to be customised for what you have and use your pc for and i'll help you with that... first switch the UAC off and run it for a little while... it will grow on you i promise!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldn't suggesting using win7, as mentioned it's BETA code at the moment - far from final version and intended soley for testing purposes by those who may be able to dig themselves out of trouble should something go wrong..no doubt there will be at least one more version of win7 before the final version hits the shops - if you really want to try it, install it in a virtual pc (vmware, virtualbox)

I wouldn't put vista on anything less than 1Gb, and only then after I have been specifically asked to put vista on.. my opinion is, put xp on - it's solid and runs great on entry-level pc's - then install vmware or virtualbox for vista/win7 - chances are though you'll need more ram for virtual pc..
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard

Thanks
    Karma Level

windows7 beta is very very stable bud use it on my main pc and my lappy its very good beta last until aug when the retail is expected

Thanks
    Karma Level

get win 7. from my experience thus far its less resource hungry, more stable, has a nicer UI, is less annoying and has more streamlined driver installation than vista and xp put together.

just partition your laptop so that if you choose to change OS again, you dont have to back shit up, just format and install over the small OS partition.

then you can give win 7 a try for a bit... if that doesnt work out, back to xp... or ubuntu i guess.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by steve10574 View Post
    windows7 beta is very very stable bud use it on my main pc and my lappy its very good beta last until aug when the retail is expected

retail... in august?? - wouldn't hold your breath..

[edit]
    just read up and i see beta expires is august, doesn't mean retail will follow straight away, they'll have RTM version before retail most likely, and maybe even before that, another beta version..
    Last edited by Possy_99; 16th January 2009 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Possy_99 View Post
    retail... in august?? - wouldn't hold your breath..
    why? its scheduled for a Q309 release. and judging from the current build and the positive feedback, i wouldnt say its out of the question.

Thanks
    Karma Level

this article isn't that old...

"While that is not still on paper and subject to change depending on the progress in the Windows 7 development it is fair to assume that customers will be able to buy computers - or standalone software packages - coming preinstalled with Windows 7 during the 2009 Holiday Season. The RTM (Release To Manufacturing) release of Windows 7 is expected for mid 2009."

Source:
    h**p://windows7news.com/2008/11/07/windows-7-to-be-released-for-2009-holiday-season/

..I've read a couple of articles quoting the same lately, holiday period 09...

I completely agree with your comments though, it is quick - hell alot quicker than vista.. but wasn't there some sort of mp3 issues with it.. that's why it should not be used as a main os for mainstream pc's - it's not finished and will no doubt have bugs somewhere (this is microshaft after all) and I'f I'm not mistaken, ms aint rushing to fix the mp3 bug either..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Possy_99 View Post
    this article isn't that old...

"While that is not still on paper and subject to change depending on the progress in the Windows 7 development it is fair to assume that customers will be able to buy computers - or standalone software packages - coming preinstalled with Windows 7 during the 2009 Holiday Season. The RTM (Release To Manufacturing) release of Windows 7 is expected for mid 2009."

Source:
    h**p://windows7news.com/2008/11/07/windows-7-to-be-released-for-2009-holiday-season/

..I've read a couple of articles quoting the same lately, holiday period 09...
    actually what that says is itll be coming pre-installed by holiday season. which makes no odds to anyone on df. we are more concerned with the RTM.

itll be RTM'd well before that. infact you just fucking posted that lol
    The RTM (Release To Manufacturing) release of Windows 7 is expected for mid 2009."
    just read up and i see beta expires is august, doesn't mean retail will follow straight away, they'll have RTM version before retail most likely, and maybe even before that, another beta version..
    do you even know what the fuck RTM means???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast