Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default What do people think of windows 7?

We have had a few topics on windows 7 where people have aired some of thier views but i thought it would be good to have a proper thread dedicated to this.

Before i start this list below is just my opinion based on my experience with limited hardware configs.

Using the 64bit version i have found

The Good
    • Move tasks around (at last )
    • Seems to use less memory (not sure how true it is as if you go to resource manager it shows it still has a lot on standby but only shows what its using at time in task manager)
    • Does use less memory for multiple open windows
    • Jump lists (i really like them especially just using the drag up way instead of right click)
    • Open new windows with middle click (not easy to know but once you find out its useful)
    • task buttons show progress
    • Resource monitor ha good info
    • show desktop by hovering
    • window management (i like the drag to side thing whatever its called)
    • monitor setup (nice gui thing to set gamma and brightness)
    • Appearance menu seems better
    • Libaries is good idea (and intergrated better than vistas search folders that do the same job)

The Bad
    • Taskbar grouped by default (i like to have many windows open of same program i cant wait while i hover over to click on them, alt and tab takes too long to find what i want when there are lots of simular windows open, Lucky ungrouped also gives me names back)
    • No windows media player toolbar (sorry hover over thing just doesn't cut it)
    • When small icons turned on the taskbar buttons have too wide a box around them
    • For me the startup takes longer than vista
    Other points

Startup is much quicker when set to use 2 cpu and to have no gui.

This is all i can think of at the moment but it's an alrite list to get us started

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: What do people think of windows 7

I haven't used it, can't see a point in installing a beta, plus from what I've read so far I don't see a real benefit to transition from Vista.

However, I really like the netwoking features, which would be beneficial if I had W7 on my work laptop. Namely I could connect to my home network (apparently without problems) and watch Dexter while I'm taking a shit, well, the first 10 minutes of Dexter

Networking features in Windows 7 address a number of problems that arise from the use of corporate PCs on noncorporate networks, particularly by workers who take their laptops home after work and on weekends. If you've ever spent hours trying to print on a networked home printer from a laptop tied to a corporate domain, you'll appreciate the W7-given ability to associate your notebook with a HomeGroup for easy access to printers and files on other PCs--without any tinkering with your IT department's carefully applied domain configuration settings. We haven't tested this capability yet, but Microsoft says that HomeGroup will also prevent other PCs on your home network from accessing any of the (potentially sensitive) corporate data on your laptop.
    But wait: There's more. Microsoft says that Windows 7 will be smart enough to recognize when you're at home and when you're at your office. As a result, if you print a document, the OS will choose the appropriate printer to use. And a new federated search capability will let you sift through files on PCs across the network, and apply filters to your results. This means that you can do a keyword search and then refine it by specifying a specific file type.
    Windows 7 promises easier Wi-Fi network and Bluetooth peripheral setup, too, though we weren't able to test either on the early beta software. Hovering over the Taskbar icon for these network adapters produces a jump list of available networks (or devices, in the case of Bluetooth); then you merely click the one you want to connect to (or pair with, in the case of a Bluetooth peripheral).
    Another improvement is wake-on-wireless-LAN, the ability to bring a Wi-Fi-connected PC out of sleep mode remotely (just as you've long been able to do with ethernet-connected systems).
    Back at the office, other networking improvements only apply if your company installs Windows Server 2008 R2 and your IT department allows them. For example, you might be able to click a link in a corporate e-mail message to launch an application behind the firewall--without having to make a VPN connection first (Windows 7 will transparently handle the security arrangements).
    Last edited by cronus71; 17th January 2009 at 01:13 AM.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    I haven't used it, can't see a point in installing a beat, plus from what I've read so far I don't see a real benefit to transition from Vista.

apart from the fact it works and works well and you dont need a pc from nasa to run it

the beta is more stable then any first release of windows for a long while i love it

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by steve10574 View Post
    apart from the fact it works and works well and you dont need a pc from nasa to run it
    the beta is more stable then any first release of windows for a long while i love it
    I have Vista Ultimate 32 bit on a laptop, which acts as a mediacenter for the homenetwork. I haven't really had any big issues with it, and the laptop is a Thinkpad T61, a workhorse model.

How do you mean it works well? and what didn't work well when you had Vista?

Reason why I'm asking is, I have a redudant laptop here at home, might try installing W7 on it and find some use for the laptop,
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

vista is very resource hungry also in the very early days i had a few driver issues none of these i have with windows 7 in fact have not read any really bad reports about it by anyone thats used it

its much faster then vista and xp i love the way the task bar works now the aero system is brill

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I installed it 2 days ago and was up and running immediately. Seems very fast compared to Vista home 32bit.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

No Issues as of yet, run's smoother than xp or vista. nice new features, cleaner, only thing i dont like is as mentioned above is the open programs on the taskbar are grouped but i thing i quick registry tweak will fix that.

~d3xt0r

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Win7 is just plain awesome - to have a beta that performs as solid as it does at this early stage is only making things look good for MS.

Vista will go down as another Windows ME

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    I installed it 2 days ago and was up and running immediately..
    Was that a 3rd attempt then, or were you just awake by that time.LOL.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by danthescan View Post
    Was that a 3rd attempt then, or were you just awake by that time.LOL.
    Ha ha yes I installed it twice by accident but that was my own fault. Thanks for pointing that out
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy73 View Post
    Vista will go down as another Windows ME
    Its bloody typical that its the only OS I have ever had an official licence for

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have a recovery disk for my xp and vista machine--(both are 32bits) if u install win7 and (say u dont like it for whatever reason) can u insert ur recovery disk back in and get ur machine back to ( standard out of the box) when u first bought it???????? i would do a dual boot if i knew how.. have a friend who has dual boot and it works fine as far as im aware

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    I haven't used it, can't see a point in installing a beta, plus from what I've read so far I don't see a real benefit to transition from Vista.

However, I really like the netwoking features, which would be beneficial if I had W7 on my work laptop. Namely I could connect to my home network (apparently without problems) and watch Dexter while I'm taking a shit, well, the first 10 minutes of Dexter
    One thing I noticed that was better about this for mixed home/work use is that I was able to vpn into work, whilst still browse web on my machine locally. With xp, once vpn is up, only way to get internet is through proxy or rdp to a machine at work. (However, I couldn't connect my pc to the work domain and was having dns issues as well, have a feeling they haven't finished working on it 100% yet).

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post
    Me too. Albeit free! lol

I'm so impressed by it, I think it's the OS I'm likely to buy this time around!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post

Same here! I actually paid for vista!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Loved the install process, took me like 20 mins to get up and running and you can skip the cd key entering bit so you don't have to type it in from a piece of paper you can wait till you get online and copy and paste it from wherever you got it from...

Also everything just worked right off the bat, didn't have to install any drivers for my motherboard, gfx card or anything like that apart from my wireless card so that was quite nice.

Don't think the taskbar quite works propery, its nice and minimal but doesn't function as well as having lots of windows imho. Will convert back to the quick launch method I think and then run apps in compatibility mode to force them to sit in the system try when I want them to but its a bit of a pain.

Not too keep on the network and sharing options either, they are just all in too many places and for some reason you can choose what content you want to share? as in video, music, docs etc but by default on mine video wasn't ticked so too me ages to find that menu to then enable it.

Sharing to my xbox works fine with the media center app but now doesn't work in the standard browser that used to work in xp with media player 11 which is annoying since its a bit quicker to navigate than media center and the fast forward, rewind, etc seems to work a bit better.

Its nice being able to have a high resolution and still be able to read the icons now tho since they are a lot bigger than in xp.

My main problem is that running videos in full screen in media player is quite jerky. Not sure if this is because of the windows drivers for the gfx card or because its not a direct x 10 gfx card. Tho I would have thought a geforce 7800gt would be able to cope with a full screen vid. nm
    [live=TaxiMike]TaxiMike[/live]

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Update your graphics driver with the Vista ones. They should work. Mine did for my ATI Radeon HD3850

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got a newer build (7057 I think and this time the 64bit one) and now video plays fine and streaming/sharing to xbox has been fixed so that is good.

Had to install codecs this time for it to play any of my avi's so maybe they back tracked on there media player integrated decoding plan?

Still get audio sync problems when I steam using media center but works fine if I just use the normal video section of the xbox.
    [live=TaxiMike]TaxiMike[/live]

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

had the x64 version installed for a couple of weeks now, really loving it to be honest:

Almost no drivers required to be installed (it detected everything and the only thing that it didnt was my sound card which it did on the first update)

better interface - i think its alot cleaner than previous version with how the taskbar now works

speed - seems to boot quicker than vista

software - not had a single program complain that it wont run (that would run on vista)

my only real problem is at the moment i have no files on the desktop - they are there if i use windows explorer to find my desktop folder however on the main desktop i cant see anything, im sure this happened after i used remote desktop to login from work, im sure its an easy fix too but cant be bothered to play around on stuff at the moment
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I love it so far.Version 7000 worked ok but crashed a few times,but Network worked great.
    7057 works even better and is solid as a rock,but have network issues with XP Machines.As long as i type in the full network path it sees XP shares and then i can Map the drives.
    Homegroup Win 7 to a Win 7 Machine is a breeze,but its a beta and im not putting win 7 on everything to use networking yet.

No driver problems at all,unlike Vista, and even old software works perfectly.
    Cant wait on the RC and if thats ok, then it might be time to buy Windows.
    I can now use a USB Scanner i bought in 1998 which i have not been able to get a driver for since Win 2000,Win 7 sees it and it works perfectly.I could get it to play in XP but never in Vista.

10 out of 10 Microsoft so far.