Close

Thread: Question

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Question

Right guys, ive forked out some cash for some tickets, they come and the envelope was tampered with and the tickets gone, there was a slit down the side of the envelope, but no royal mail sorry bag.

So i asked the guy and he said it was sealed, he sent me proof of posting and the tickets where sent recorded delivery which ive signed for,

He wont give me a refund and says that royal mail blunders arnt his fault, all ive got is bank details for the guy and email, no address, now can i go to the police or is it a civil matter?

What are the police likely to say to me? or if its civil how do i go about getting an address to get a summons issued?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Question

i just rang wembley police station as this is where the guy said hes from, and spoke to someone at control room, and they say its a civil matter as its my word agaisnt his!

Is this true?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it's recorded then it's insured, you'll have to make a claim with Royal Snail!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

But could it be a police matter? or has the guy got his foot in the door because hes got proof?

Thanks
    Karma Level

TBH it looks/sounds llike an internal theft on the side of the mail company so unless they want to turn it into a police matter, it lies with them. As you don't have proof of exactly who has done what then all you can do is take it up with the mail company, make a claim and buy yourself some more tickets

I had stuff go missing from a luggage case once and tbh no-one was interested from the airline to the baggae handler to the police so I wouldn't hold out much hope of resolving this lawfully as a matter of theft. Just rely on the insurance on the postage. Saying that, the insurance will only pay up to a certain value, and you will need to see if that covers the cost of the tickets. If not, it should be up to the seller to refund the difference. Difficult to do if outside of say ebay/paypal.

What sort of postage was it? signed for/recorded? What value were the tickets? Where did you buy from? how did you pay?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Gumtree, £500, but face value for the tickets totaled £100

It was recorded delivery so im only covered £36 eek!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mrphil View Post
    Gumtree, £500, but face value for the tickets totaled £100
    It was recorded delivery so im only covered £36 eek!
    that was my worry! tbh it sounds to me like they aint been posted, but proving that is another matter.

How did you pay for them? Paypal and credit cards offer protection of sorts but again you'll need to check with them what is covered to what value!

I can understand your concern now with values like that. I don't know what you can do if anything through say the small claims court. May be worth having a word with your local Citizens Advice Bureau on this one.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i know, worse i paid it in to his bank eek!
    he posted them because he has proof - he sent me a scanned copy of receipt, and i had to sign for them!

Royal mail wouldnt let a letter be shipped open from a post office, theyd just be stabbing themselves in the foot!

Police matter or not?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Were the tickets for specific seats?

If so, I'd find out what those seat no's were off the bloke who sold them to you, buy some more tickets, take a baseball bat with you and take the thieving fuckers head off when you get there.
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am sure tickets and money are only covered using Special Delivery. Recorded doesn't insure tickets (as far as I was aware).

So he shouldn't have been offering Recorded Delivery in the first place.

It sounds a bit harsh mate but you have made a massive mistake in your purchase, no way should you buy anything that amount and pay BT, also have it delivered the way it has.

Sorry, but you have been fooked up the ass.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

ive been thru this, he said he sent the tickets and all the details where on them so cant help, he gave me the location of the top of his head but not specific enough for WRU

If police say its a civil matter will that be the same thruout the police nation?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Where did he buy the tickets as they will have a record of where they were for if they were seated? He is blatantly scamming you mate. Got his address?

You were fucking crazy to pay straight into his bank account if you don't even have his address though and you have left yourself wide open for this. Anything over 36 quid you should have specified the type of postage to be used not the seller. You may as well write this one off to experience as you will get absolutely nowhere. This guy knew what he was doing, shame you didn't.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

if thats the case cant the police look in to it?
    he said he buys them off the boys at the workmens so has no records just wanted to sell them on...

lol i have been a silly boy

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would check with Gumtree what the score is. I have never used it so have no clue.

Have you all the records of your conversations? At the end of it he will just say they were posted and effectively they were. If he had done it insured then he could have claimed it back and refunded you but as it stands I have no ideas of the legal standpoint. I would also advice that the only place for discussion of legal issues is the legal section of the board. All you will get here is heresy and nothing legally binding and therefore all advice is worth nothing.

I think you need to write this off if Gumtree cannot do anyhting for you but am sure they will advise you should have insisted on insurance to the value of the item.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

many of thanks

keep smiling

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    I would check with Gumtree what the score is. I have never used it so have no clue.

Have you all the records of your conversations? At the end of it he will just say they were posted and effectively they were. If he had done it insured then he could have claimed it back and refunded you but as it stands I have no ideas of the legal standpoint. I would also advice that the only place for discussion of legal issues is the legal section of the board. All you will get here is heresy and nothing legally binding and therefore all advice is worth nothing.

I think you need to write this off if Gumtree cannot do anyhting for you but am sure they will advise you should have insisted on insurance to the value of the item.
    Gumtree is scammers paradise mate, although there are legit sellers on there I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole and the owners will do fook all to help him recoup his money

Put it down to experience mate as even with his address on the back of the letter you don't know if it was him or not. Keep an eye on his account on gumtree though, if it looks like he is doing it to others and you have his return address on the envelope you could probaly contact the police (if the others were willing to as well).

Thanks
    Karma Level

£500 for tickets?!?!?! What was it to see??

I had a bad experience paying directly into a bank account with ebay... never ever do it!! You've not got a leg to stand on.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry to read this mate but would def chalk this up to Bad experience