Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Crash police driver found guilty

A traffic officer who crashed his police car while travelling at 115mph in "appalling weather" has been found guilty of dangerous driving. "HERE"
    Sgt Craig Bannister, 30, aqua-planed before skidding off the M4 and landing in trees on the non-emergency journey.
    A jury at Cardiff Crown Court took three hours to reach a guilty verdict.
    Mr Recorder Peter Murphy said Bannister of Briton Ferry, near Swansea, would be sentenced next month as first he wanted to know how it would affect his career.
    He has already been withdrawn from operational duties and had his driving permit taken off him.
    Following the verdict The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said it would consider South Wales Police misconduct recommendations for Bannister.
    During the trial prosecutor Michael Hammett had told the court: "Conditions were appalling. There was heavy rain, lots of spray and standing water on the carriageway.
    "Bannister's car showed he'd been travelling at 122mph before slowing to 115mph when he hit the water and began aqua-planing.
    "He left the road and mounted the grass verge demolishing fencing.
    "The car then skidded another 200 yards before coming to rest in a crop of trees facing the wrong way.
    "It's important to note that he was not answering an emergency response call at the time."
    The court heard a police investigation showed the car had no mechanical defects and the crash was caused by driver error.
    Mr Hammett said: "When Bannister was interviewed he refused to accept that driving at those speeds in those conditions was dangerous.
    "There were signs on the road warning of standing water and many drivers were travelling well below the 70mph limit.
    "He couldn't offer an explanation as to why he was travelling that fast."
    Diligent investigation
    The court heard Bannister had received an emergency call minutes earlier but he had been "stood down" before his car joined the M4 at Junction 46 near Neath.
    The jury was told Bannister was a grade two qualified police driver, and had been trained to the second highest level of traffic officers.
    Bannister had denied dangerous driving.
    IPCC Commissioner for Wales Tom Davies said: "Police officers are given special dispensation in certain circumstances to drive faster then the speed limit allows.
    "That power carries a responsibility not to abuse it.
    "South Wales Police voluntarily referred Sgt Bannister's crash on the M4 to the IPCC.
    "They have carried out a diligent investigation under my management and found no policing reason why this officer was driving so far above the speed limit.
    "Following the guilty verdict in court today, and after sentencing, I will then consider the force's recommendation for any misconduct action."

B
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Crash police driver found guilty

I've been following this case from the off. I wouldn't want to the see the man lose his job but he needs to lose his stripes (even for just 12 months) and never be allowed to traffic duties again.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mattress View Post
    I've been following this case from the off. I wouldn't want to the see the man lose his job but he needs to lose his stripes (even for just 12 months) and never be allowed to traffic duties again.
    Why not? If someone else were doing those speeds it would be an instant ban. If you have a job where you need to drive (i.e. taxi driver/courier driver) you would lose it so why shouldn't this guy. This cunt seemed to think he was above the law as he was a policeman.
    Last edited by beerman; 14th February 2009 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The clown should be banned and thrown out of the police force for being an asshole, when you join the police force surely the least you can do is adhere to the laws that you expect everyone else to follow.

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    This cunt seemed to think he was above the law as he was a policeman.
    I think that is a prerequisite. He deserves to be punished, heavily, for being a complete arsehole but I wouldn't want to see him lose his job over it. His wife and kids would suffer (possibly lose home, etc.) because of his stupidity.

My beef with this case is that coppers never seem to learn from these instances and cases like this one are extremely common. The argument from most would be to sack him immediately,in order to send out a message to others but surely there are ways to educate these numpties??

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think that is a prerequisite. He deserves to be punished, heavily, for being a complete arsehole but I wouldn't want to see him lose his job over it. His wife and kids would suffer (possibly lose home, etc.) because of his stupidity.
    You should change your username to 'saccharin'. I'm not sure what world you live in but it must read like a sickly sweet Hollywood script.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    You should change your username to 'saccharin'. I'm not sure what world you live in but it must read like a sickly sweet Hollywood script.
    I'm sorry it bothers you?? I'm just thinking of a few of the others who would suffer for his act of idiocy. In your world I presume that would be a crime in itself?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If I was to do something stupid at work, not only would my job be up the swanee - but there is a very real possibility I would also end up in the dock if someone was injured or killed as a result of any negligence on my part.

This particular individual was supposedly a class 2 trained driver, yet even when interviewed afterwards he still refused to accept that his driving manner for the conditions was nothing short of suicidal.
    That in itself is a good enough indicator that he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a motor vehicle, because anybody with more than one working brain cell would automatically see the potential danger.

My beef with this case is that coppers never seem to learn from these instances and cases like this one are extremely common.
    I guess we all ought to be grateful that there aren't more unnecessary deaths than what we have already then, but giving them a desk job for 12 months isn't going to drum home the message that they are extremely lucky that they haven't maimed or killed someone (especially when the big headed twats even refuse to acknowledge what they have done).

The argument from most would be to sack him immediately,in order to send out a message to others but surely there are ways to educate these numpties??
    The old bill have been letting their own off for years, they need to learn that they are not above the law and the only way to achieve that is for them to receive the same punishment that Joe Public would get.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Round london, it's shocking the amount of times you see them put blue lights on to get through trafic or perform an illegal move. Sometimes I feel tempted just to keep a hidden video camera cos I see that kind of stuff at least once every week or two.

Thanks
    Karma Level

IMHO he should be treated no differently to you or I, he should be dealt with in the proper manner and if that means a driving ban or even a custodial then so be it. I doubt it will cost him his job as they'll find him something nice a quiet somewhere.
    Stu.... :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

If think the amount of money spent on training the officer, he should be given a second and final chance provided he admits he was truly wrong and accepts a demotion.

He should walk the beat and progress to riding a beat bicycle and then panda car etc.

B
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.