Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default UK interest rates lowered to 0.5%

UK interest rates lowered to 0.5%

The recent rate cuts have had their critics
    The Bank of England has cut interest rates to 0.5% - a fresh all-time low - and says it will now boost the money supply to help revive the economy.
    Interest rates have now been reduced six times since October, and the latest half a percentage point cut from January's 1% had been expected.
    The Bank said it would expand the amount of money in the system by £75bn in an attempt to boost bank lending.
    This policy, so far untried in the UK, is called quantitative easing.
    Buying assets
    Quantitative easing is the process of increasing the amount of money in circulation in an attempt to revive the economy.
    While the Bank will initially add £75bn, Chancellor Alistair Darling has given it permission to extend this to up to £150bn.

Today's decision is a kick in the teeth for savers who will see their already diminished interest payments fall even further
    Adrian Coles, Building Societies Association

The Bank's statement in full
    What is quantitative easing?
    What low rates mean for you
    The idea is that if the amount of money in the system is boosted, commercial banks will find it easier to lend.
    Quantitative easing is sometimes incorrectly referred to as printing money, but the Bank will not expand the supply of money by making new banknotes.
    Instead, it will buy assets - such as government securities (gilts) and corporate bonds.
    Similar measures were implemented in Japan at the beginning of the decade and are considered to have had limited success.
    'Pleasantly surprised'
    BBC economics editor Stephanie Flanders said that while the initial size of the quantitative easing scheme was smaller than some analysts had expected, "it's a lot more than dipping their toes in the water".

The moment the rate cut was announced

"Those who feared that the Bank would defeat the purpose of the policy by doing it only half-heartedly may be pleasantly surprised," she said.
    Philip Shaw, chief economist at Investec, said that quantitative easing "should in principle encourage the banks to lend to private sector agents such as households and businesses, stocking monetary growth and stimulating activity".
    Mervyn King, the Bank's Governor, sought permission from the Chancellor to start quantitative easing in a letter on 17 February.
    In his reply, Mr Darling said that in the "current circumstances" the measures were now "appropriate".
    Both letters were released on Thursday.
    Rate cuts attacked
    Business groups have attacked the recent cuts, saying they have done little to encourage banks to lend more.
    Others argue that they are unfairly hurting the returns of savers.
    "Today's decision is a kick in the teeth for savers who will see their already diminished interest payments fall even further," said Adrian Coles, director general of the Building Societies Association.
    The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) said the latest cut would be a "double whammy for prospective mortgage borrowers".
    "This latest cut presents immense challenges for lenders whose margins are already squeezed as a result of previous reductions, leaving little scope to lower discretionary mortgage rates further," said CML director general Michael Coogan.
    "Savings are the lifeblood of mortgage lending, and unless lenders can offer competitive rates to savers their ability to offer new mortgages is restricted."
    Ian McCafferty, CBI chief economist, said the continuing rate cuts were "becoming less and less effective as a means of stimulating the economy".
    "Though this latest cut will help support business and consumer confidence, it is unlikely to have a dramatic impact on the cost or availability of credit," he said.
    The Bank has had the room to cut interest rates because inflation has fallen on the back of reduced energy costs.
    The most recent official figures showed that consumer prices index (CPI) inflation fell for the fourth month in succession in January to 3%, from December's 3.1%.
    However, CPI inflation still remains above the government's 2% target.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7925620.stm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: UK interest rates lowered to 0.5%

Quantitive Easing, definition and explanation:

Spoiler:

What is quantitative easing?
    Usually, central banks try to raise the amount of lending and activity in the economy indirectly, by cutting interest rates.
    Lower interest rates encourage people to spend, not save. But when interest rates can go no lower, their only option is to pump money into the economy directly. That is quantitative easing.
    The way the central bank does this is by buying up assets - usually financial assets such as government and corporate bonds - using money it has simply created out of thin air.
    The institutions selling those assets (either commercial banks or other financial businesses such as insurance companies) will then have "new" money in their accounts, which theoretically should boost the money supply.
    How will it work?
    Even economists who agree with the quantitative easing policy often disagree on how exactly it will work. But there are two main ways it could boost the economy, which are really two sides of the same coin.
    The first channel is through the direct effect on the banks' bank accounts. With more money sloshing about in their accounts, the banks may decide to lend more to businesses and individuals, and increase the amount of activity in the economy that way.
    The second channel is through the effect on the cost of borrowing. When the Bank buys bonds, it reduces the supply of those bonds in the economy. That should increase the demand for new bonds and, at the same time, make it cheaper for businesses to borrow.
    Having taken very short-term interest rates as low as possible, the idea would be for the Bank to push down longer-term rates as well (which are the rates that companies and individuals borrow at).
    Are there any risks?
    Quantitative easing is a high-risk strategy. If it is not done aggressively enough, banks will remain unwilling to lend and the crisis could drag on. To some extent that is what happened in Japan when this was tried 10 years ago.
    Like old-fashioned money printing, QE also runs the risk of going too far: pumping too much money into the economy and causing high inflation - even hyperinflation - as seen in 1920s Weimar Germany and modern-day Zimbabwe.
    But in those cases, the government was printing money simply to pay the government's bills. They were not responding to the risk of deflation as the Bank of England is today.
    Is this printing money?
    Of course, these days the Bank of England doesn't have to literally print money to do QE. It's all done electronically.
    However, economists would still argue however that QE is the same principle as printing money as it is a deliberate expansion of the central bank's balance sheet and the monetary base.
    Why is it different from Weimar and Zimbabwe?
    Printing money can be defined as the central bank financing of government debts. This is what happened in both Weimar and Zimbabwe and what the British government will insist it is not doing, although the short-term effect is similar.
    According to the Maastricht Treaty, EU member states are not allowed to finance their public deficits by printing money. That is one reason why the Bank of England will buy government bonds from financial institutions, not directly from the government.
    The Bank believes this form of QE is different because they are "printing money" as part of monetary policy - to prevent deflation. They are not printing money to help the government finance its deficit. Also, unlike Zimbabwe, this is a temporary policy: the Bank expects to sell the government bonds back into the market when the economy recovers.
    How do we know if it has worked?
    If QE works, credit growth will pick up and businesses will find it easier to get credit. That, in turn, should help stimulate the economy and help push inflation back up to the Bank of England's target figure of 2%, thus staving off the threat of deflation.

Taken from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7924506.stm

Edit: also a video explaining it in that link in under 2 minutes.
    Last edited by super mike; 5th March 2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Forgot something.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So the only reason it's not defined as printing money is because money is not going to the gov't? Playing with words imo. If I have £10 in my pocket and I owe £20, I'm down £10 no matter who money's going/went to.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pah! I'm tied in to my fixed rate mortgage for another 4 years
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    If you had a £3,000 buy out fee would you? the £3,000 could then be added to the new mortgage rate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

would it be worth paying a get out clause to go on a different deal?

Im fixed for another 6 months so it wouldnt be worth it but the rate should be low for a substantial time so is it worth it for yourself?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by LFC Muppet View Post
    If you had a £3,000 buy out fee would you? the £3,000 could then be added to the new mortgage rate.
    I will look into that, however I guess being non-resident in the UK might make finding an alternate lender quite tricky?
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

I will look into that, however I guess being non-resident in the UK might make finding an alternate lender quite tricky?
    We are debating on it, might need to go and see a mortgage advisor. 1 thing holding us back with new lending is the Mrs finishing work in 3 month to drop our 2nd.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post
    would it be worth paying a get out clause to go on a different deal?

Im fixed for another 6 months so it wouldnt be worth it but the rate should be low for a substantial time so is it worth it for yourself?
    Yep I've got until Dec 09 on my fixed deal.

I had Britannia ringing me yesterday asking if I wanted to shift to a new lower rate fixed deal!

It would have saved me £30/ month...whoop de fucking do!!

Unsurprisingly I told them I'd wait and see whats available in December, and not get tied into another deal for the sake of saving just under £300!

Just shows that lenders are not passing on the full benefit of rate cuts on to homeowners.

My fixed rate was sorted Jan 2007 and even now they can only save me such a small amount with the latest offers.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Woo hoo, life-time tracker with no limits on over payments!

W.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

doesnt affect me GRRR. just my savings.. under the bed they go

Thanks
    Karma Level

A few quotes from the BBC discussion bit:

I don't wish to let Sir Fred and his many other un-named chums off the hook, but the story about these guys pensions is a useful diversion created by HM government to cover up the real story. i.e that of the total incompetence of this government and the £billions of our money they have drained. British citizens have all had our wealth decreased substantially over the past year (see pound vs euro for confirmation). People should be out on the streets demanding action. And I would join them.
    Shame the apathy in this country about such matters is so great and people would rather stay home.

Did some one give our politicians/bankers copies of a book tittle 'How to create a great depression' or 'How to wreck an economy the Weimar way' or 'How to re-create the conditions for fascist dictatorship' or 'Hilters handbook for a successful fascist take-over'
    I await the emergence of rampent militarism! Oh, the signs are there already folks! zeitgeist
    I think anyone with any sense should start making plans to emigrate before they come up with a final solution!
    Lowering interest rates (therefore creating more money out of thin air) only creates inflation, encourages borrowing and spending, and penalizes those who save money. Interest rates should be determined by the market and not a bunch of politicians or central bankers.
    The only way you can have a robust economy is by saving money, building factories and producing stuff, shrink the government so that taxes can be minimal with a system that promotes rule of law, freedom, and true capitalism.
    If they want me to spend more to get the economy moving then stop taking so much of my salary as tax!!

Hyperinflation beckons. The way the UK has dealt with the Labour-inspired recession will be studied by economists in the fut re alongside Zimbabwe and pre-war Germany.

Gordon's got to go. Is there no way we can force an election now?
    Any Ecomony based on the supply of credit is not a sound Economy.There is no such thing as Unlimited Credit.Fail to understand why people with a mortgage should have been rewarded by ever decreasing Interest Rates.
    Savers get punished.Pensioners with savings are being hit the hardest.
    How are young people supposed to generate sufficient savings to put down a deposit for a mortgage?
    What will Bank of England do a month from now when they find their latest action did not work?
    Only a fool would print money, it dosnt work. The measures taken so far simply ARE NOT WORKING

When the cuts are passed to the average man/women in the street, then change may occur, however with:

Council tax - up by more than the rate of inflation
    Mortgage - little change if any
    Savings - not worth bothering with
    Gas & Electricity - way over priced because of greed
    Petrol - should be a £1.00 a gallon as oil at record low
    I see no change, get a grip, Gordon you fool
    It is experimental.
    They are experimenting withour jobs, our savings, our future.
    We have a right to feel uneasy.
    Quite gutted really, was hoping to go and read a debate on there but it seems that common sense lives and everyone realises how retarded this idea is.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    My fixed rate was sorted Jan 2007 and even now they can only save me such a small amount with the latest offers.
    Mine was fixed at about 6.9% when the base rate was 5.5%. I've heard that some banks are offering 3% fixed for 2 years, so the savings could be considerable.
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Mine was fixed at about 6.9% when the base rate was 5.5%. I've heard that some banks are offering 3% fixed for 2 years, so the savings could be considerable.
    Well mine was/ is 5.29% so you see why the savings on mine aint so big!

I'll wait and see what deals are around in Dec.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Was lucky enough to be fixed for 5 years @ 4.05% which finished in november and i've now drop onto a 3.0% svr.

Thanks
    Karma Level

We're paying less than ever for our mortgage. God bless the B of E!

Thanks
    Karma Level

i understand why hbos was in the shit.
    my mortgage was with no fees whatsoever, no arrangement, no legal fees etc. just a tracker rate of 0.09% above base rate, yes 0.09%.
    and we wonder why......

Thanks
    Karma Level