Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default So F1 is now doomed....

I used to Love Formula 1, then Sky got it for a season (or two?) and I lost interest.

The last few seasons however have been great as the teams have moved forward a lot in terms of how much they can get out of the cars even with all of the restrictions etc....

What I don't agree with though is what Bernie is putting in place for 2010!! Not just 'Most wins and you are champ' but other little things like a spending cap 90% less than most teams spend now!

What next, Bernie will try to change football. Most wins wins the league, most losses gets relegated..... Senile old git!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7948455.stm

F1 wins will decide world title

Hamilton would have lost the title to Massa last year under the new rules

Formula 1 has introduced a new points system that will result in the driver with most wins crowned world champion.
    The current points system will still operate to decide a tie if two drivers have the same wins and to define all other championship positions.
    Had the new rules been in place in 2008, Lewis Hamilton would have lost the title to runner-up Felipe Massa.
    From 2010, there will be an optional budget cap of £30m that will reduce some teams' spending by 90%.
    The new rules were approved by the World Motor Sport Council of governing body the FIA at a meeting in Paris on Tuesday.
    It rejected a proposal by the F1 Teams' Association to tweak the points system to 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1 from first to eighth places.
    Instead, the current 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 system will stay in place.
    606: DEBATE
    Whilst I agree up to a point with this, I believe that the points system made it better, as it rewarded both speed and consistency

The artist formerly known as!

The budget cap is an attempt to make F1 more accessible to new teams.
    Teams choosing to operate within the budget cap will be allowed more technical freedom.
    Those teams will be allowed: a more aerodynamically efficient (but standard) underbody; movable wings; an engine which is not subject to a rev limit or a development freeze.
    Teams can choose to spend what they like, but operate within more restrictive technical rules - and therefore have a theoretically slower car.
    Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone announced his intention to shake-up the points system at the end of last season.
    Ecclestone's idea was to award the top three drivers with gold, silver and bronze medals with the driver capturing the most golds crowned champion.
    While the medals have been abandoned the new system delivers on Ecclestone's wish of rewarding the driver with the most victories.
    The F1 chief believes the new system will encourage overtaking.
    "If you're in the lead and I'm second, I'm not going to take the risk of falling off the circuit or doing something stupid to get two points," Ecclestone said in November.
    "If I need a gold medal to win the championship, I will overtake. It's just not on that someone can win the championship without winning a race."
    However, the new system could see the season settled much earlier.
    The points distribution was introduced in 2003, partly to try to ensure the world championship stayed open for longer at a time when Michael Schumacher and Ferrari were dominating the sport.
    If the new system had been installed in 2008, Massa would have been crowned world champion as he won six races compared to Hamilton's five.
    The FIA also announced plans to publish the weights of the cars after qualifying for each Grand Prix.
    That could give a clue to which teams are using the optional kinetic energy recovery system (Kers).
    Kers, which allows drivers a boost of an extra 80bhp for 6.7 seconds each lap, weighs around 35kg and could tip some cars - complete with their drivers - over the minimum weight of 605kg.
    To improve clarity, wet tyres have also been renamed "intermediates" and extreme weather tyres are now called "wet".
    With in-season testing now banned, the FIA will only allow teams to carry out eight one-day aerodynamic tests on a straight piece of track.
    Teams will also be allowed to carry out three one-day young driver training tests between the season-ending Grand Prix and the end of the calendar year.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: So F1 is now doomed....

Ferrari are lodged so far up his arse he can't think straight!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm cautiously welcoming of these new changes because I think most wins will make it a lot more exciting. Lets be honest, although Lewis brought home the goods it was a bit of an anti-climax. The difference between first and second is just 2 pts, same as between 2nd and third which doesn't provide as much incentive as a winner takes all race. Imagine how boring the Premiership would be if they had 3-2-1 (win-draw-lose) scoring.

And the 30 million cost cap will allow teams to go toe-to-toe with the big boys.. the idea being they agree to a voluntary cost cap but are allowed greater technical freedom in return. At the moment its a bit of an aristrocracy between Ferrari and McClaren, so it would be good to see some of the smaller teams up there too. I'd also be keen to see what these greater tech freedoms are e.g. differences in traction control, fuel loads etc..

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm all for the changes to be honest. I bet some of the smaller teams only have 30 million to spend anyway and if they get some extra freedom to make them more competitive then that can only be a good thing. Also the most win's thing will make the drivers for for the win rather than just be happy with 2nd place so the racing should continue to the end of the race rather than just be happy with 8 points

Thanks
    Karma Level

When you put it like that it actually makes sense. They should do that with football (Cap spending)! The premiership top 4 is boring now and no-one outside of the top 4 is really interested in getting a UEFA Cup spot to be honest. We (Boro) proved how crap it is by reaching the semi-finals and then the final the year after, ok we got hammered but we hardly got a crowd for the home games....

I don't like the win system though....

*EDIT*

What happens though in this instance. Your a £30mil capped team. You go for the wins in your faster car. You need one more win to clinch the title early on in the season but because of the competitiveness you make a few mistakes and smash a few cars up. The result of this is that you have to build another cart to the tune of £x millions that takes you over your budget. That then means you lose some of the freedom you had and have to adhere to different rules?

Not sure if that would ever happen but what if?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Anything which kills off football is fine with me me/ hides in flame proof bunker
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    Anything which kills off football is fine with me me/ hides in flame proof bunker
    With Boro certain for the drop and the English team currently having no chance of winning anything (Although English teams dominate...) I am more than happy for football to take an very long break!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just read this on another forum which I thought was a good point!

So that's the end of battles for 2nd 2rd 4th etc etc. If the leader is 20s up the road then watch the thrill of seeing drivers driving as slowly as possible to preserve the engines for the next race.

And if one driver wins the first 5 races then that's it, pretty much season over even though he may have just 10 points more.

Nice one, you have ruined it more than the FIA ever managed to despite all their efforts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep, valid when you look at it like that also.

A few more shunts in the first corners are certain now! If Lewis is on pole and Massa has a few more wins than him, take him out time!! What's the worst that will happen... he'll lose points but they don't matter any more!

Oh, hang on... Bernie will introduce yellow and red cards.. Massa will get a 3 match ban for violent conduct, but what if Lewis takes a dive..

Where's Raptor? He's a big fan of F1, I would like to know his thoughts on this.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    I used to Love Formula 1, then Sky got it for a season (or two?) and I lost interest.
    Sky never had exclusive rights it was always on ITV as well. Sky did launch a PPV service which had the timing stats, cockpit view, highlights and of course the main race signal but it wasn't long before that went. Next season we'll get the same multi views (something German Premiere have had for years) by pressing the red button on the BBC.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah ok. It must have been because I had $ky at the time and thought it would be best to watch it on $ky seen as though I was paying for it!

Thanks
    Karma Level

couldnt most wins make the season won half way through tho if one person won the first 8 or 9 races (17 in a season)?

Sounds a bit lame

At least slicks are returning this year

Thanks
    Karma Level

9 wins for one driver and its all over, if these wins are the first nine races fi will lose viewers and spectators, pointless.

Thanks
    Karma Level

they wouldnt need a who wins the most is champion if they hadnt buggered up the points, it should be like it was 10 for a win 6 for second and so. only loosing only 2 points for getting 2nd removed the importance of that win's 10 point reward, cos if you won the next race you are back to level where as if you won 2 or 3 races all of a sudden your 4 to 6 points behind and would give your left nut for a win with the old system,

as for the money side of it i dont think its a bad thing williams, toyota and maybe a couple of others could have been on shakey ground money wise and with teams like ferrari, mclaren and honda last year spending over 300million! it makes it more of a balenced playing field and i dont think anyone outside of ferrari wouldnt prefer that.

first they fekked with quali and ruined it, then the points and ruined it, now how the championship is won... whats the point of having a 17 race season if its going to be just about winning, the fact is you should be the most consistant driver and team over a year scoring more points that anyone else, anything other than that is just not going to work....unless your in a red italian car, yet more proof of Ferrari International Assistance?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    /me floods the bunker with water

I`m not a fan of F1, but these rule changes sound ridiculous!

Thanks
    Karma Level

For me its the point above about watching teams conserve their engines. Trouble is, it will go further than that won't it. Teams will just drive off the track if they have no chance of winning, I can see it being a case of Ferrari in 1st place in car 1, but then the other Ferrari and both McLarens just pulling off. Also, what about the instances when drivers came from behind to clinch 3rd for instance - surely that has now gone from racing? What would be the incentive to start at the back of the grid and race - you might as well pack up and go home because you're never going to win.

And what about the fucking farce that is Monaco? There will literally be no point in anyone taking part after the qualification because its impossible to overtake, so they might as well just have qualification and then watch 1 car parade around the road circuit.

Nah, its total madness. I think that winning SHOULD be rewarded higher, so why don't they change the points system (again) and give winning a bigger advantage. They could do something radical like have 10 for the win, 6 for 2nd, 4th for 3rd and so on, have the first 6 places score. Just like it FUCKING USED TO BE YOU BRAIN DEAD CUNT ECCLESTONE.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ruined. oh well watch the gp bikes. far better anyway

Thanks
    Karma Level

Touring Cars...FTW

W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The only negative I see for the viewer is by 1 driver winning enough races to finish the title challenge early.

A bit like we all whinge about Manure winning the title early.

But if you're a good enough driver, or a good enough team to do that, then the rest need to learn how to stop it from happening again.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mooncats View Post
    ruined. oh well watch the gp bikes. far better anyway
    If there are any teams left competing, aren't they all dropping like flies?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast