Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention CCTV cars snap distracted drivers

CCTV cars snap distracted drivers

By Rajini Vaidyanathan
    BBC News, Manchester

Rajini Vaidyanathan looks at how the CCTV smart cars work

New CCTV cars to catch drivers using their mobile phones or being otherwise distracted at the wheel are being piloted by Greater Manchester Police. The small Smart cars, which have a 12ft (3.6m) mast with a camera attached, are parked at junctions to monitor traffic.
    Mike Downes of the Greater Manchester Casualty Reduction Partnership said the scheme was successfully "driving the number of accidents down".
    But the AA's Paul Watters said drivers "might regard it as Big Brother".
    Proportionate and fair
    Two cars are currently being piloted in Greater Manchester, the first of their kind in the UK.
    Anyone seen driving while distracted - eating at the wheel, playing with the radio or applying make-up for instance - is filmed by the cameras.
    CCTV enforcement lacks connection with the driver until after the event

Paul Watter
    AA

Later, a letter is sent to the owner of the car, in many cases along with a fine.
    Anyone caught using their mobile will be asked to pay £60 and have three points added to their licence. Fines could also be handed out to anyone who is thought to be driving without due care and attention, or similar offences.
    According to the Partnership - also known as Drivesafe - there have been 406 collisions in Greater Manchester in the past two years which can be attributed to distracted drivers.
    Of those, 51 were said to involve the use of a mobile phone as a significant factor.
    Mr Downes said the cars would only trace people who are committing an offence.
    "The camera is only trained on the vehicle to secure the evidence," he said.
    "I would say the actions we are taking are reasonable, proportionate and fair in light of the fact that we are trying to save lives."
    'Lacks connection'
    The scheme is only a few weeks into the pilot, so figures on the numbers of people who have been caught using this technology are unavailable.
    But the CCTV cars have already attracted criticism from people who argue they are an infringement of people's privacy.
    Paul Watters from the Automobile Association (AA), said he had reservations about the cars, and would watch the pilot scheme with interest.
    "CCTV enforcement lacks connection with the driver until after the event and some drivers might regards it as Big Brother.
    "We think that most drivers would prefer police in cars to dish out tickets on the spot and instil better driving behaviour," he said.
    If the scheme is seen to be a success in reducing the number of accidents, those behind it hope it could be rolled out across the UK.
    Some councils already use Smart cars with cameras to track parking and bus lane offences.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/7994449.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: CCTV cars snap distracted drivers

I was on a recent trip to Bucks. in the car with my wife and son, my wife was driving andI saw at least 10 people talking on mobiles driving in excess of 70mph and 3 different women driving and texting!!! Fucking dumb slags. Sort of stupid shit that causes a motorway pile ups and end up with other people getting killed.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

why worry about the proper crims out there, lets just plow more of our budget into traffic as thats a great way to push up stats.
    this is another go at the already over policed, over taxed motorist

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

While I agree about mobile phone use I think it's one thing to have a Police Officer watch someone and quite another to have a snapshot of someone' hand near their ear, another offense which is impossible to disprove!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lithho View Post
    why worry about the proper crims out there, lets just plow more of our budget into traffic as thats a great way to push up stats.
    this is another go at the already over policed, over taxed motorist
    I'm sure with the amount of wankers using mobiles and doing their make up whilst driving that these things will easily pay for themselves,infact they should rake in the money.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

What I don't get is that we are the most watched drivers in the world, yet we are not the safest drivers in the world. Instead of spending more money on cameras, etc. Why don't they have a look at what other countries with safer drivers are doing and follow their lead.

Surely by now they must realise that more cameras are not the answer.

1st step is to make the driving test harder so that not any fit blonde who wears a low-cut top can pass even if they can't drive. Make it like the Finnish driving test where you have to learn how to control the car on a skid pan before you can get your licence.

Maybe then we'll have less accidents because people will be able to control the car in the first place and if they do loose control they will be able to get it back instead of plowing into whatever is coming towards them.

Just my 2p.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That's because it's not about safety but profiteering.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

its 12ft when including the height of the car
    Who were you when you thought you where you was?. Whats a matter for can't you want to?