Close

Thread: Paypal

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Paypal

Bit of a difficult 1 here, and I think I know the outcome.

Long story - Someone purchase a WAV rip of a rare unreleased song from me for a large-ish price. They used paypal to pay me, and as no address was supplied it was exempt from paypal protections.

Anyway. He decided that once he had the track he'd get his money back, and file a dispute. But couldn't through paypal. So he filed with his card issuer.

Now the card issuer is in dispute with paypal and want my evidence to prove the transaction took place. But all the evidence is from a forum, of which he is admin, and I am now banned. So I have no evidence.

The money is in my account now, but I have heard of paypal going into your account and taking your money. I want to provide my side of the story, but think without evidence it is too weak.

Any ideas?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Paypal

spend the money and close your account and open another one !
    I STINK GET OVER IT !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by greens117 View Post
    spend the money and close your account and open another one !

Ha Ha. That is 1 route I am looking at.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

First things first go into your paypal and unlink it with your bank account and credit card

Also PM me the link to the forum and the name of the admin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tried unlinking the account. Can't as there is a dispute. I had an inkling he was gonna do it too. I was too slow.

Apparently a chargeback is decided by the CC company. Not paypal.

They are allegedly going to help me fight my case. But still.

I am going to close the bank account, as I don't trust them not to dip in there, and I'm happy to lose the paypal account. See what happens.

Thanks
    Karma Level

what forum is it ?
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level
    IT people slash forward.

Also, lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maltloaf View Post
    what forum is it ?

Be aware your IQ may drop. But... www.notorious-makaveli.com

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

advice ring your bank and tell them to stop any money requests or payments to pyapal
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Before you do decide to go down the route of blocking PayPal from regaining the funds which they will try and do if the Chargeback is allowed regardless of if you are 100% in the right be aware they use a very aggressive debt collecting agency.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08703330159

They will ring you day and night several times a day and reading the reports online they will also try and get additional information and ring your employer etc.
    Legally there is next to nothing you can do to stop them even if you are 100% in the right and they haven't a hope in hell of winning against you should they choose to go to court.

If you complain to BT they will contact the company for you but the company will reply saying they have business with you and have a legal right to contact you which is correct as they use a loophole in the in the legislation to do this.

BT will be unable to block the number from calling you either as it a 0870 number which has no geographical location the same as a 0800 number.
    You could try the Police but would be wasting your time so you are left with one option which is change your number and hope they don't discover it which it seems in a lot of these cases they do probably with the help of a brown envelope to a BT employee.

As long as you are aware of this and happy to put up with it then no problem.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As soon as you mention 'wav' and 'unreleased' I'm surprised Paypal didn't run a mile already - do they know how handle digital media cases?

It's a shitter this but if you don't have distribution rights haven't you got to take this on the chin?

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

interim justicia, i would agree these are cunts in the royal sense m8.

as long as they dont know oyur employer or home phone number you will be ok
    A wise man once said " "

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you don't own the copyright on the material swallow, if you do but are happy to deal with the agency mentioned by BB I'd still be inclined to swallow, I had dealings with them about 10 years ago, complete cunts!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Detector View Post
    interim justicia, i would agree these are cunts in the royal sense m8.

as long as they dont know oyur employer or home phone number you will be ok
    Yes true but as PayPal and Ebay share details and will pass them on there is a good chance they will have these details and even if they don't they will find them out.
    Personally if I was and I was in the right they would get the money back over my cold dead body but that's the sort of person I am and it seems a lot of people settle so if in 6 months time you are going to crack and pay them off because they keep ringing your mum and dad day and night or your employer then your best to accept whatever they decide now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    If you don't own the copyright on the material swallow, if you do but are happy to deal with the agency mentioned by BB I'd still be inclined to swallow, I had dealings with them about 10 years ago, complete cunts!
    Is there any defence other than dealing in cash? Stuff like makes me think you can't win either way.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Before you do decide to go down the route of blocking PayPal from regaining the funds which they will try and do if the Chargeback is allowed regardless of if you are 100% in the right be aware they use a very aggressive debt collecting agency.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08703330159

They will ring you day and night several times a day and reading the reports online they will also try and get additional information and ring your employer etc.
    Legally there is next to nothing you can do to stop them even if you are 100% in the right and they haven't a hope in hell of winning against you should they choose to go to court.

If you complain to BT they will contact the company for you but the company will reply saying they have business with you and have a legal right to contact you which is correct as they use a loophole in the in the legislation to do this.

BT will be unable to block the number from calling you either as it a 0870 number which has no geographical location the same as a 0800 number.
    You could try the Police but would be wasting your time so you are left with one option which is change your number and hope they don't discover it which it seems in a lot of these cases they do probably with the help of a brown envelope to a BT employee.

As long as you are aware of this and happy to put up with it then no problem.

What if the name and address and telephone number on my paypal is incorrect? I set it up in a friends name, and have continued to use it. It is 5 years old, and as it is a selling account, I never buy using it, the telephone number and address is out of date. He has since moved, so dunno who lives there now.

Can they get the details from Natwest?

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post

I don't own the copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    As soon as you mention 'wav' and 'unreleased' I'm surprised Paypal didn't run a mile already - do they know how handle digital media cases?

It's a shitter this but if you don't have distribution rights haven't you got to take this on the chin?

I didn't mention this. Although it isn't exactly a legit purchase, there must at least be honour amongst collectors. This music will never be released legitimately. I didn't buy it from the artist as he is dead, but from the musician who created the music. So I, in a sense, purchased it fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Yes true but as PayPal and Ebay share details and will pass them on there is a good chance they will have these details and even if they don't they will find them out.
    Personally if I was and I was in the right they would get the money back over my cold dead body but that's the sort of person I am and it seems a lot of people settle so if in 6 months time you are going to crack and pay them off because they keep ringing your mum and dad day and night or your employer then your best to accept whatever they decide now.

The transaction was outside ebay, and not covered by paypal's usual protection. I didn't realise CC companies would get involved or I would have insisted on cash. Still. I will close the account and see what the results are. They may even rule in my favour. Worst case I pay the large-ish sum back, and learn an expensive lesson.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've actually just been contacted by a different agency - nco. I'm pretty sure I owe fa to anyone so I'm not even going to reply to the muppets. Reading up, paypal seem to be nco's main client, but these retards seem pretty easy to fob off.