Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Best way to Learn a New Language?

Hi

Im looking into learning Objective C and cocoa but im finding it really hard to get the ball rolling.

Iv never really programmed before and have never learned a programming language. I have learned other computer languages like HTML and CSS but nothing like this.

Im finding that the books i am reading are just not sinking in, im just not getting it, and the stuff i am understanding i have no idea how i would begin to write programs with

I dont know if im best reading through the books i got over and over in the hope that something will eventually click or to read a bit of the book, practice with what if read so far, then moving onto the next part.

The book I am currently reading through is Programming in Objective-C 2.0 by Stephen Kochan, which is a good book that assumes you have no prior knowledge of programming

Any advice?
    What's the best way to start learning programming languages?

Cheers
    Scottio

http://scottio-productions.co.uk/
    XBL : Scottio200 :: PS3 PSN-ID : Scottio200 :: Twitter ID : Scottio200

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Best way to Learn a New Language?

I always found the best way for me was to have a project to complete in that language, so I had an end goal, rather than just doing the usual "Hello World" type shit. If you have a proper reason for doing it rather than just to learn it I find I'm more incentivized. Give yourself an end goal and see where that takes you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Best way to Learn a New Language?

definitely set yourself a goal.

If you have some ideas of what you might want to do then you should aim to make small steps towards your goal as you read through stuff you think will apply to your goal.

Start small. The first thing you will do in any language is hello world. This will give you the basic idea of how to print a string to a console usually and compile the code.

Next step is to think small. Something fun to keep you going but still simple and easy. Work with some of the data structures. You'll find these are the same across many languages. Take in several inputs add them to an array or collection dependent on the language or preference and then print them back out.

Keep going adding small bits of functionality to your program as you read the book. E.g you've just read about interface's. Start to break out your code to use interface. Find a way of incorporating what your reading into your program. To go through the book and read it is okay but its not going to help you unless you put it in to practise. Do it all in small chunks.

With these type of books its hard to do. Google for some good tutorials if your at a loose end.

I'm assuming your building an iphone app. The net is your friend

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/li...ral/index.html