Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default supplement advice and diet advice

hi

been taking maximuscle promax whey supplement for a few weeks now sice i'd been running, have just started doing some weight training and cutting down on the cardio and i'm trying to bulk up a bit by eating more smaller healthier meals etc.

from what i've read i'm an ectomorph and i find it hard to get the weight on in the first place, so i've been lookig at a bulking supplememt.

i'm considering getting boditronics mass attack, but do i continue taking the promax at the same time? as the mass attack has a fair bit of protien in it too?

or just replace the promax with the mass attack??

my intake today's been

630 am
    cup of oats
    banana
    spoon of organic peanut butter
    spoon of honey
    scoop of promax
    300ml of semi skimmed milk
    (all blended into smoothie)

930 am
    john west tuna fillets
    uncle bens basmati rice
    banana

1030 am
    promax shake

weights 12-1250

100pm
    promax shake

3pm
    2 x alpen light bars
    banana

430pm
    2x peices of hovis granary toasted
    4 x darylea wedges

630pm
    sharwoods chicken curry
    basmati rice

830pm
    2x peices of hivis granary toasted
    organic peanut butter
    honey

had an apple at some point in the day too, also been drinking at least 3 litres possibly more of water every day.

used to have around 8-10 coffees a day, got that down to 1-2. still have roughly 3 teas tho, but have cut out sugar in them completely. also have cut out butter/marg completely.

any advice guys??

cheers
    :kissass

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: supplement advice and diet advice

I know your trying to bulk up but i'm fairly sure you need to eat the right food whilst your doing it. I'd scrap dairy lea wedges and the Sharwoods chicken curry (its mass produced so bound to have shitloads of crap init)Make it fresh..trust me its not hard

But I do need to give you credit wheres it's due..there's no fucking way I'd EVER eat Tuna and rice at 9.30am (I have porridge or hot bowl of cornflakes instead)

Also the 50min session of weights you do..is that all the training you do?

Thanks
    Karma Level

You need some carbs/protein 1.5 hours before your training session and also immediatley after.

50min of training a day is more than enough if your bulking, make sure you have a good routine sorted.

A note on bulking, to get bigger you will inevitably add fat whilst gaining muscle mass, hence when eating meals try to make them clean (no cakes,crisps, pizaa etc), keep carbs to rice,pasta, potatoes etc and lean meats for protein and veg. This will keep the amount of fat you add down.

Stir fries made at home are really easy options.

also whatever your bodyweight is in lb, have 1.5 x that of protein (in grams) a day.

Also in the evening before you go to sleep try and have some red meat/cottage cheese and they are slower digesting proteins to keep you going throughout the night.

Thanks
    Karma Level

also dont get sucked into fads of protein powders etc, just get yourself a decent whey protein supplement
    check www.bulkpowders.co.uk for some cheap deals on unbranded protein.

Also try creatine monohydrate its good for bulking and strength, you will get a little bloated on it though

Thanks
    Karma Level

Completely agree with pheonix, great advice and especially agree with the pre-bed snack such as cottage cheese as that was my usual. Goes down nicely with a pack of oat cakes!

If it helps also, my diet for bulking recently consisted of:

7:30 1 x Whey protein mix

8:00 Porride, 2 slices of granary toast, glass of orange juice

10:30 Tuna Salad/Sandwich, bannana + homemade protein flapjack

12:30 Large chicken breast + Rice, Vegetable soup, granary toast + olive oil spread, low fast yoghurt

3:00 Pack of oatcakes, cottage cheese + Apple

Pre workout (30mins) - Glass of skimmed milk, mixed nuts + pre-workout supplement

Train

Post workout - Whey protein mix

7:30pm Lean steak/2 pork chops/chicken/turkey, 2 x medium jacket potatoes/100g boiled rice, large serving of veg

10:00 Large bowl of wholegrain cereal + milk (which i often replaced/swapped with cottage cheese!)

11:30 1 x whey protein

Where i've put whey protein i actually used a mix of protein and carbs (to be exact it was Weight Gainer elite from www.myprotein.co.uk, just more carbs really).

I've also used maxi-muscle in the past and find that its just the brand pushing up the price, so don't be afraid to just go for other companies products, best bet is to stick with whey protein isolate in my opinion, and possibly with a higher carb content for bulking.

The diet might also look like alot, and have to admit i didn't managed to eat most of it at first, but i pushed my appetite WAY up with this, and now im starving when i don't eat close to this!

And last but not least, i'd suggest checking out www.muscletalk.co.uk , great source of information and i really learnt alot from this place, i also got my diet based of information found there.

Best of luck mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

great thank for all the replies guys

i'm not going to get the maximuscle again as said it apppears i'm paying over the odds for the name.

i'm doing the "3 day split" workout from the stickies at the top of this sub forum, mon, wed, fri weights and tue,thurs runningjust over 4 miles for cardio. sat and sun off.

thx for the links and your diet mate, doesn't look tha bad to do tbh.

will take a look at that weight gainer once i run out again, alot cheaper than even the boditronics stuff i was looking at.

thx again.
    Last edited by ThE gOg; 24th April 2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added workout rotation
    :kissass

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ThE gOg View Post
    great thank for all the replies guys

i'm not going to get the maximuscle again as said it apppears i'm paying over the odds for the name.

i'm doing the "3 day split" workout from the stickies at the top of this sub forum, mon, wed, fri weights and tue,thurs runningjust over 4 miles for cardio. sat and sun off.

thx for the links and your diet mate, doesn't look tha bad to do tbh.

will take a look at that weight gainer once i run out again, alot cheaper than even the boditronics stuff i was looking at.

thx again.
    Don't worry about getting anything special as a protein supplement mate, some stuff list hundreds of ingredients trying to be the all in one solution, where as all you need is a good quality protein with some good quality carbs!

Best of luck mate!