Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Serious Fury over Gurkha settlement plan

Fury over Gurkha settlement plan

Joanna Lumley: 'It has made me ashamed of our administration'

Campaigners have reacted with anger to new rules on the eligibility of Gurkha veterans to live in the UK. The Home Office said that new rules would allow about 4,300 more to settle, but the Gurkha Justice Campaign said it would be just 100.
    Actress Joanna Lumley, a campaigner for the Gurkhas, said the announcement made her "ashamed of our administration".
    Immigration Minister Phil Woolas denied he had betrayed the Gurkhas, adding: "This improves the situation."
    He said: "It has never been the case that all Gurkhas pre-1997 were to be allowed to stay in the country. With their dependents you could be looking at 100,000 people.
    "It's simply not true that we have betrayed the Gurkhas. When people read the guidelines they will see the sense of them."
    'Truly appalling'
    In September 2008, the High Court ruled that immigration rules denying Gurkhas who retired before 1997 - about 36,000 - an automatic right to stay in the UK were unlawful.

Gurkha Madan Gurung: 'We are very, very discriminated'

Peter Carroll, from the Gurkha Justice Campaign, said the fight to allow them to stay in this country would continue with renewed vigour.
    He added: "The one group of people that has never let this country down has been let down today in a manner which is truly appalling."
    David Enwright, a solicitor representing the Gurkhas, said: "This government, Mr Woolas, should hang their head in shame so low that their forehead should touch their boots.
    "This is a disgrace and a betrayal of our armed forces and our veterans."
    Gurkhas have been part of the Army for almost 200 years and are hand-picked from a fiercely-contested recruitment contest in Nepal to win the right to join.
    They have seen combat all over the world, with 200,000 having fought in the two world wars and 45,000 believed to have lost their lives fighting for Britain.

It is so obvious that the treatment of the Gurkhas has been a huge injustice

Joanna Lumley

The regiment moved its main base from Hong Kong to the UK in 1997 and the government had argued that Gurkhas discharged before that date were unlikely to have strong residential ties with the UK.
    That meant those who wanted to settle in the UK had to apply for British residency and could be refused and deported.
    Ms Lumley, whose father served with the Gurkhas, has been a supporter of the campaign to allow them the right to settle in the UK.
    "It is so obvious that the treatment of the Gurkhas has been a huge injustice," she said.
    "To treat them like this is despicable."
    'Moral debt'
    In September, Mr Justice Blake ruled that instructions given by the Home Office to immigration officials were unlawful and needed urgent revision.
    He said the Gurkhas' long service, conspicuous acts of bravery and loyalty to the Crown all pointed to a "moral debt of honour" and gratitude felt by British people.
    The government promised to revise its guidance, but in March 2009, the Gurkhas returned to the High Court to try and enforce the ruling.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8014265.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fury over Gurkha settlement plan

Joanna Lumley Furious At Gurkha Ruling

4:27pm UK, Friday April 24, 2009
    Actress Joanna Lumley says she is furious at the Home Office's new rules set out for Gurkhas to live in Britain.

Actress Joanna Lumley vows to continue her campaign for the Gurkhas

The Government says around 4,000 Gurkhas and some 6,000 spouses and their children will benefit from this - Gurkha supporters say only around 100 will be allowed to settle.
    The actress, who is a long-standing campaigner for the cause, said she was very surprised by the decision.
    "The Gurkhas cannot meet these new criteria. It makes me ashamed of our government. We will fight on. We don't stop.
    "This has set us back in its obtuse lack of understanding of any of the problems facing these men or, I think, of the conditions facing soldiers.

Gurkhas are serving in Afghanistan

"I think this is inexplicable. I can only think they have no notion of the armed services. They have no direct experience of what it is."
    She vowed to continue the campaign, saying: "This is a setback. We simply regroup and start again. We don't give up the battle just because one of the tactics has failed."
    Martin Howe, of Howe & Co solicitors, acting on behalf of the Gurkhas said: "This is nothing less than an act of treachery. It has scant regard to the High Court judgment of last September.
    "It has scant regard to the wishes of the people up and down the length and breadth of the country.

It makes me ashamed of our government. We will fight on. We don't stop. This has set us back in its obtuse lack of understanding of any of the problems facing these men or, I think, of the conditions facing soldiers.
    Actress Joanna Lumley

"We have a so-called Labour Government prepared to give £200bn to banks but not a penny to the Gurkhas...that is prepared to keep the ordinary rank-and-file soldier who has served so gallantly and has served this country for 15 years ... out, and trying to allow a small handful of officer-class men in.
    "It's nothing short of scandalous. All this does is insult the integrity of the men of the brigade.
    "This is a matter that will be going back to the court."
    Ragprasad Purja, 43, served with the Gurkhas for 17 years. He said: "It is the saddest day for the Gurkhas and the saddest day for the British Government. "I cannot believe that this Government made such a decision.
    The new rules state Gurkhas and their families will be allowed to settle in Britain if they meet one of these five criteria:
    :: Three years continuous residence in the UK during or after their service;
    :: Close family in the UK;
    :: A level 1-3 bravery award (including the Victoria Cross, the Distinguished Service Order and the Military Cross);
    :: Service of 20 years or more in the Gurkha brigade;
    :: Or a chronic or long-term medical condition caused by, or aggravated by,
    service in the brigade.
    In addition Gurkhas will normally be allowed to settle in the UK if they meet two or more of the following criteria:
    :: They were previously awarded a UK MoD disability pension but no longer have a chronic medical condition;
    :: A mention in dispatches;
    :: Service of 10 years or a campaign medal for active service in the brigade.

Spoiler:
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Gurkhas-Joanna-Lumley-Expresses-Her-Fury-At-Home-Office-Ruling-On-Rights-To-Live-In-UK/Article/200904415268825?lpos=UK_News_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_15268825_Gurkhas%3A_Joanna_Lumley_Expresses_Her_Fury_At_Home_Office_Ruling_On_Rights_To_Live_In_UK
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fury over Gurkha settlement plan