Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Bank wants £40,000 from G20 girl

Bank wants £40,000 from G20 girl

Protesters stormed their way into the Royal Bank of Scotland's City branch

The Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) has demanded £40,000 compensation from a 17-year-old girl who admitted attacking a branch during G20 protests in London. The girl, who cannot be named, admitted burglary and criminal damage when protesters targeted the Threadneedle Street branch of the RBS on 1 April.
    Prosecution counsel told West London Youth Court the bank wanted to recover the losses incurred during the protest.
    The girl, who lives in Brighton, was given an eight-month referral order.
    As part of her sentence she may be asked to pay a smaller sum of compensation to RBS.

RBS have gone for compensation in the sum of £40,000 - in my view, this is wholly unjustified

Miranda Ching, defence counsel

Prosecutor Ann Crighton said three plate glass windows were broken and several pieces of computer hardware, which cost an estimated £40,000, were stolen.
    Police saw the girl smashing a computer monitor with a keyboard and flinging the keyboard against a window, breaking it.
    Mrs Crighton said: "She admits breaking through the police cordon and said she had done so to rescue some of her friends who had been contained in a police 'kettle'.
    "At the time she got caught up in the heat of the moment. She thought it would be a good idea to go into the [bank's] foyer.
    "When she got inside she thought it would be a better idea to smash up the computer.
    "She said she changed her mind and tried to throw the computer through the window instead.
    "She was seen picking up a keyboard and smashing a window," Mrs Crighton said.
    'Other people'
    Defence solicitor, Miranda Ching, said that the girl, who was born in Scotland, was unemployed and lived on handouts from friends and family.
    "RBS have gone for compensation in the sum of £40,000. In my view, this is wholly unjustified.
    "It may well be that a substantial amount of criminal damage was caused as a whole by other people on 1 April.
    "We must look at what my client is charged with and that is IT equipment.
    "That seems to be, at most, one computer keyboard and one computer monitor," she said.
    The court heard that the teenager, who was introduced to political activism by her stepfather at an early age, had participated in a series of protests across Britain.
    The court also ordered her to write a letter of apology and sign an agreement not to commit further crimes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8016350.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bank wants £40,000 from G20 girl

She will prob get a loan from them to pay it back.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spennyboy View Post
    She will prob get a loan from them to pay it back.

Maybe that slag who went running to Max Clifford will pay for it out of her press money.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Like I've said many times before - the police were there to do their duty which is protecting big business. Funny how they've already got her in court before any of those who attacked the public.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I fucking hate anarchists and serial protesters. Drive me insane.

If you have convictions in your beliefs, fine, I can respect that. But if you are just there while mummy and Daddy pay for your degree in media or the arts, then I hope you get a truncheon in the mouth. Fuck her. What point does vandalism make? I hope she at least has to pay a large percentage... Even if it's in installments at 24% APR.

Thanks
    Karma Level

good, she should made to pay for the damage and make her work for a living. Get her to do the post in the bank for a year.

MML
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyMan View Post
    I fucking hate anarchists and serial protesters. Drive me insane.
    That was one reason I didn't attend - I wanted to protest about the handling of the credit crunch, but the only official banner I would have been under was those people against climate change. Would have been interesting if a group of normal people had organised it to see if turnouts would have been higher or lower.

I would like to think the serial protesters/nutters scared off the general public, but sadly I think it's more realistic to assume nothing at all would have happened instead.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    That was one reason I didn't attend - I wanted to protest about the handling of the credit crunch, but the only official banner I would have been under was those people against climate change. Would have been interesting if a group of normal people had organised it to see if turnouts would have been higher or lower.

I would like to think the serial protesters/nutters scared off the general public, but sadly I think it's more realistic to assume nothing at all would have happened instead.

My mum was badly affected by the banks. Her job has gone, her pension is smaller, and her lump sum she stupidly left in shares she received as bonuses, or during share saves had their value wiped. She may have to sell the house she has worked for the past 40 years, and is in tears most days.

Yet her, and people like her don't get to protest or get heard because the protests are ruined by the hippies and the toffs who go to cause shit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

"When she got inside she thought it would be a better idea to smash up the computer.
    "She said she changed her mind and tried to throw the computer through the window instead.
    "She was seen picking up a keyboard and smashing a window," Mrs Crighton said.
    So really she's just a no-gooder, vandalising little scrounger cunt jumping on the bandwagon so she could cause damage to property inside an expensive building.

Just imagine her defense:
    "I finked at tha time, like, i would just try an fuckin break fings, innit? Then, like, ovass would join in, yeah."

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

"It may well be that a substantial amount of criminal damage was caused as a whole by other people on 1 April.
    "We must look at what my client is charged with and that is IT equipment.
    "That seems to be, at most, one computer keyboard and one computer monitor," she said.

The court also ordered her to write a letter of apology and sign an agreement not to commit further crimes.
    So if I get a few people together and we all chip in for anyone that gets caught we can smash the shit out of any shop we like so long as anyone caught promises not to do it again and says sorry. I'll remember that next time I get bad customer service.

Thanks
    Karma Level

they can take it out of shreds pension pot

Thanks
    Karma Level

i must be the only person on the planet defending 'the shred'

he could have taken a much bigger paying much lower profile corporate banking job and no one would have ever known he existed. His only 'draw' was the pension he was promised and contractually entitled to. I do feel for the fella tbh, another (admittedly very well off) victim of the global downturn - and an easy target for everyone's anger to boot, fuelled by everyone's requirement for someone to blame, either to justify their own position or just because it makes them feel better....
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maltloaf View Post
    i must be the only person on the planet defending 'the shred'

he could have taken a much bigger paying much lower profile corporate banking job and no one would have ever known he existed. His only 'draw' was the pension he was promised and contractually entitled to. I do feel for the fella tbh, another (admittedly very well off) victim of the global downturn - and an easy target for everyone's anger to boot, fuelled by everyone's requirement for someone to blame, either to justify their own position or just because it makes them feel better....
    I think he's a high profile target and the anger is much deeper because the "Golden Handshakes" have been getting larger and they have all been feathering their own nests as they decide what they get between a select little group he has just been held up as an example when in reality his payoff/pension is the norm.

It's the same as the MP's, Euro MP's and Peers they are all on the take in one way or another, legally they may not be breaking any laws/rules but morally they know and the public are becoming more aware how dishonest they are and trying to conceal what they are actually getting and claiming yet on the other hand voting in more and more ways of monitoring the public's every action using terrorism and "You have nothing to worry about if you have nothing to hide" bullshit.

We have a budget which uses a smoke screen of increasing the tax on the rich when in reality it will do nothing as 99% of people on over 100k a year have clever ways of not paying any tax now so increasing the rate won't make any difference, the poor will pay as logic say's they are really the only ones who can as they are the masses.

Rant over

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with BB here. The most expensive way to be paid is via wages. You will be hit by PAYE & NI. If you can get your name off the payroll and get income via another way from the company you can save a fortune.
    BTW, they wont be making this form of income public. Its not illegal, but a decent acountant is worth their weight in gold when it comes to earning / hiding that kind of money.
    The average worker foots the bill again.
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    I think he's a high profile target and the anger is much deeper because the "Golden Handshakes" have been getting larger and they have all been feathering their own nests as they decide what they get between a select little group he has just been held up as an example when in reality his payoff/pension is the norm.
    It's not just that - his pension is being paid with our money. If we were to apply capitalism in the way the banks have always applied it to others - his bank is bankrupt and closed and there is no money to pay him or anyone. The public money was put in to prop the bank up to stop the country going down the pan - not to ensure his pension pot isn't affected - well at least that's what I'm guessing.

But then it doesn't even end there. Night clubs make a lot of money with questionable morals so it's only fair they pay significant amounts for pro active policing. Which mugs are paying for the police to cover him?

Someone should just kill him.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 25th April 2009 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

the whole system runs on corruption & this will never be changed no matter how we vote

Guy Fawkes come back, your country needs you!!