Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Windows XP licence seems to be expired!!!!!

i have a big problem with windows at the mo fixing a laptop for a friend. Problem is i cant log in to any account even admin in safe mode. When i log on normally it tells me something about the registration for my product. Problem is it should in my opinion then point me to changing the product key or activating my product online or on the phone i dont get this screen. Does anyone know what i can do to get this screen without re installing my computer i know there is a way to do it in the recovery console by editing some files i have seen it done before just cant remember. I just cant get into windows at all I have got mini windows so i can delve into the main windows partition any help would be appreciated....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Windows XP licence seems to be expired!!!!!

What's the exact error message? If you've got a pirated copy you just get a dodgy logo in the bottom corner of the desktop. You can still use windows.

If you have a dodgy version of XP but a legit product key stuck to your computer you can download this tool to change your product key to the legit one...
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/sel...6-7809a840929f

Thanks
    Karma Level

personally i'd backup their data and tell them they should have seeked assistance before it came to this and they should consider themselves lucky you are able to backup the data.

I am sure the "something about the registration of this product" as you speak of will either be Windows activation or Windows Genuine Advantage, buth of which give you plenty of time and warning before locking down your computer in such a fashion. Chances are your looking at a pirate copy of windows and since there are several versions for each operating system I'd say the chances of you having the appropriate key are slim..

for example, which xp is installed.. home/pro/mce, oem/retail/upgrade/corp.. which version is lised on your COA..?

your searches maybe pointless going about it in a "says something about something" fashion, I would expect that from average joe but for someone who attempts repairs you really should be paying more attention to these things.

you cant pull people out of the shite all of the time - nobody can (hard drive failures etc), make em understand the importance of backups etc, they only way people will learn is after they have been bitten, do them a favour and backup their files but do youself a favour and just reinstall once you got their stuff
    Last edited by Possy_99; 3rd June 2009 at 09:45 PM.
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard

Thanks
    Karma Level

all sorted now changed the registry value and the screen to change the cd key worked