Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Most searched term on Microsoft's Live Search is... "google"

Most-searched term on Microsoft's live search is ... 'Google'

Comments (1)
    Microsoft's Live Search revamp apparently cannot come soon enough. Hitwise data shows that the most commonly searched term on Live Search over the last four weeks has been 'Google', accounting for 1% of all queries. Number two? 'Yahoo'.
    Granted, many people who go to Yahoo (NSDQ: YHOO) and Google (NSDQ: GOOG) to search are hoping to go elsewhere too. Or maybe they are flat-out confused. 'Google' is the 10th-most searched term on Google itself (!)
    More after the jump, including the top five search queries for Yahoo, Google and Microsoft.
    Yet the percentage of searchers who obviously want to get away is greatest on Live Search. 'Yahoo', 'Google', 'Google.com' and 'Yahoo.com' searches together account for about 2.7% of all queries on Live Search, while 'Yahoo', 'Yahoo.com' and 'Google' queries make up only 0.4% of all searches on Google. Similar queries account for about 1.4% of searches on Yahoo.
    That appears to back up Microsoft's admission that it has not done a good enough job of convincing users why they should try its search engine. It also indicates that Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) cannot simply buy market share by landing big distribution deals for Live Search. Yes, they will be more likely to land on the Live Search page, but they might just as likely to navigate away to the competition. A Microsoft spokeswoman said the company had no comment.
    A Live Search overhaul is expected later this spring. The latest date being tossed around for the release is June 2, according to Liveside.net, when Microsoft's online services president Qi Lu is set to deliver the keynote address at the SMX Advanced search conference in Seattle.
    Google
    Craigslist (0.45%)
    MySpace (0.41%)
    Facebook (0.34%)
    Yahoo Mail (0.24%)
    Yahoo (0.22%)
    Yahoo
    MySpace (0.73%)
    Google (0.66%)
    Craigslist (0.59%)
    Facebook (0.52%)
    MySpace.com (0.42%)
    Microsoft
    Google (1.02%)
    Yahoo (0.61%)
    MySpace (0.53%)
    Yahoo.com (0.48%)
    Facebook (0.45%)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/...0/google-yahoo
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Most searched term on Microsoft's Live Search is... "google"

WTF is it with people who cannot type into the address bar? It really annoys me when some asks me a web address, I give them the correct address with .com or .co.uk or whatever and the first thing they do is fire up a search engine (usually google) and type in the address I gave them then click search! Looking at these results there doesn't seem to be anyone that can type in the address for such common sites like facebook or myspace. Is it really that difficult to type in a different box and add .com to the end?
    What is it with steel wool? Is it steel? Or is it wool?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ka$h View Post
    WTF is it with people who cannot type into the address bar? It really annoys me when some asks me a web address, I give them the correct address with .com or .co.uk or whatever and the first thing they do is fire up a search engine (usually google) and type in the address I gave them then click search! Looking at these results there doesn't seem to be anyone that can type in the address for such common sites like facebook or myspace. Is it really that difficult to type in a different box and add .com to the end?
    I'm with you on this one, but you have to be a bit thick to use M$ Live Search in the first place.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I like their live maps over google maps but tbh google is normally my search engine (and browser) of choice
    What is it with steel wool? Is it steel? Or is it wool?

Thanks
    Karma Level

why cant they use the address bar like most

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've met plenty of dumb cunts who don't understand typing stuff in the address bar - they just type in whatever search box presents itself. I'm guessing ms have probably made loads of software that automatically makes live search the default page but it won't change people from wanting google.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just type 'google' in the address bar and press Ctrl and Enter.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Plenty of people type into the search engine just because they feel they trust it more than your own honest word of a web address.

It riles me here!!! What's the point asking if you're going to type it into google anyway! tut