Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Where do you lot get your news from?

I was thinking about swine flu earlier when I realised most of the news sources we read probably aren't worth the paper they are written on (or the electric to power their servers etc.)

The bit that got me thinking was the fuss about masks. We are being told masks are useless to the wearer, yet the nhs is stockpiling a shit load.

Common sense tells me the mask has to be more use to the wearer rather than people around him for one simple fact. If you think about it, in the course of normal breathing, provided the mask is dry and the person isn't contorting their face into a strange position, the elastic should make a reasonable seal. However, in the event of a person sneezing, one could easily imagine the violent force of the sneeze, or even the associated movement temporarily disrupting the seal, letting germs out. Blantant contradiction from what we are being told.

Now I'm not one of these nutters who thinks I shouldn't leave the house with out a mask at this stage, but I do find it worrying that we are being decieved on such an issue. This is just one example, but I think everyone here has seen me being very critical of media coverage on most major issues. Which leads me to my question - does anyone know of a news source that isn't normally full of shit?

Edit: For me - I'm not hoping this thread turn into an arguement about who's news source is the best - I just want to see where others are going.

Edit 2: Just realised I suppose I should start off with what I do. I loosely follow a few places - bbc news website, df news section, free papers on the way to work , or any other paper I see lying about to get an idea of current events. Then I'll just google the issues that interest me and start looking what I can find.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 4th May 2009 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Where do you lot get your news from?

i follow the bbc news site i probly expect they are full of shit just like sky news.
    wasnt it the bbc that reported wt7 collapsing and it hadnt even collasped.
    Signature Removed: Maximum signature image size is: 468 x 60

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another interesting one re bbc and wtc - I actually saw with my own eyes a report saying so many thousand jews weren't in work that day. I remember thinking if it's true, how on earth is someone at bbc ballsy enough to come out with it. Article was never repeated - my eyes were practically out of their sockets waiting for it to be repeated, but they made no formal apology either which they normally do when they get things so horribly wrong.

Not saying there's any truth in that, but very strange behaviour on their part.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

TBH I dont think you will get a site much more unbiased tha BBC news.

I also check Sky News but its so OOT sometimes its like reading the Daily Mail!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

True - the bbc site is lightyears ahead of what other nations consider to be news - for example fox news, but it still has a lot further to go.

I can think of two issues I wouldn't consider them impartial and even consider them to be part of the propaganda machine but I don't want to open up a seperate can of worms in this thread.

One I will mention however - how is it loads of sources on the net were talking about police brutality at g20 which was pretty much dismissed until we saw the vids which initated a massive u turn in reporting? Or even a point I made on df at the time which I think I made quite well - coppers are not to protect us - they are to protect big business - ever think the bbc will admit it? (bit hard to report the story accurately without covering the issue).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post

The bit that got me thinking was the fuss about masks. We are being told masks are useless to the wearer, yet the nhs is stockpiling a shit load.

Common sense tells me the mask has to be more use to the wearer rather than people around him for one simple fact. I

i personally think they have the wrong type of mask, so i have oredeed one for myself which i think would work slightly better

"When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Think about all the lucky people who have just got these massive contracts to supply the masks, I bet they are wetting themselves and rolling in cash.

I try and avoid news and reading it these days. It's clever marketing and bullshit with some scare tactics thrown in.

I have to say it's so much nicer living in a country where it's not everywhere and in all forms. Maybe it is and I just don't understand!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Masks are chump change in this one. I read something interesting about the american gov't buying a billion or two worth of tamiflu from the company that originally invented it (Gilead) rather than from Roche who basically bought the rights from Gilead. I wonder if it's anything to do with Donald Rumsfield previously having been Gilead's chairman?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I get my news from the telly, from people at work and then here (4me2).
    What I like best is to discuss the news with people, to get different views as for example the news on TV are always to be taken with a pinch of salt. E.g. if things are reported bad, they in 90% of the cases will turn to be even worse..."the recession experienced in the US will not affect Finland"..."swineflu? pfft...nothing to worry about"...."aids? yeah, that's a gay-folk disease"...etc.

I'd like to see more optimism in the news media in general, surely there are good news as well?
    Last edited by cronus71; 4th May 2009 at 08:01 PM.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good point - I missed out talking with people. I suppose that's a very good point relating to my original question. If I'm reading obvious bullshit in the news, then if someone I trust/respect tells me sometime plausible, the way I am, I would be more inclined to believe (and then even possibly repeat) what I had heard. I will try to verify this from finding same on the net or whatever, but this isn't always possible.

Leads me to an interesting side thought - in that sitation what has more credibilty - something which can be very well referenced but is obviously wrong, or something which is very plausible yet has nothing concrete (or even firm) to back it up.

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC website, Radio 2, TV, Various other places on the net, occasionally a paper, here and from talking to people sometimes. All gets taken with a pinch of salt at best to a Sun/Daily Mail sized bag full. If I am interested in a story I will usually look for other sources and relish other peoples opinions usually whilst having a good rant.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    If I'm reading obvious bullshit in the news, then if someone I trust/respect tells me sometime plausible, the way I am, I would be more inclined to believe (and then even possibly repeat) what I had heard. I will try to verify this from finding same on the net or whatever, but this isn't always possible.
    Yep, this the exact same thing I do.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

abovetopsecret

thats the real deal.. lots of cranks but some very very interesting stuff aswell
    fortune favours the brave......

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tying in with another thread, I may sign up for their twitter updates.

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC Tv news in morning when adverts on other channels. Radio 2 news at lunch and then look at google news that is just links to lots of news sites for tech when i get home

Thanks
    Karma Level

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

Thanks
    Karma Level

It doesnt matter where you get your news from you always have to make your own personal opinion on whatever your reading, reading any of the two same articles in 2 newspapers always come up with contridictions
    papers alone will print and say whatever will sell, hype costs nothing and makes millions
    i stick with local newspapers, the others arnt worth sh*t

Thanks
    Karma Level

I usually get my news from the BBC, but I have to say that I have been thinking WTF with there coverage over the swine fever outbreak. For example...

On the same news program, showing a reporter live in Mexico wearing a face mask and then saying later in the same program that face masks are not effective.

Spending 20 fooking minutes on swine fever, and then adding at the end that its important not to panic about... how about not devoting virtually the whole program to it then?

Saying that the outbreak of swine fever is only giving very mild problems, so doesn't seem to be that much of a problem... then adding, however thats exactly how the last outbreak started that killed 40 million people at the turn of the century.

Constantly going on about "pandemic" and really scaring the shite out of some people when it actually means fuck all. The "cold" has been pandemic for 100's (if not 1000's) of years. So what, fuck off

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

dosent everyone wait for mickeys metro post ????
    other than that my local radio station coolfm and utv!
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Get all my news from the bbc news website. Most news to be fair is manipulated crap and i dont know how Americans can cope with there news services such as fox, complete and utter media shite. I also once brought a daily mail and it was fuckign awful, overhyped, manipulated and i swear every article had the sole aim of making you suicidle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast